Injured Woodworker Selling his Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckster

Pete
Senior User
Found this today. The guy's name is Mike, seemed real nice on the phone. He says he has pretty much worn out his back and is going to have surgery and basically his doctor said he can only lift 20 pounds there after - so he is selling several items in his shop and is going to scale back to just making guitars.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/648237813.html

i got dibs on the dc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sounds like there are some good deals there. The RAS is an awesome machine...if that is something you can use.
Dave:)

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
That RAS is the saw that all the really good saws that came along over the years were designed after.That thing is built like a tank.It's no Craftsman,and I have a Craftsman.It's identical to the old Dewalt and the original Delta before they went to the double swivel arm.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Pete, thanks for sharing the info! I've been looking for a fast and accurate way to end cut 20" hardwood planks, and this saw should provide the solution.

I learned a neat trick from Mike (the seller), and that is if you use a hard setting body putty on the edges of the saw groove in the RAS table top, you can keep the groove edge clean and sharp and thus reduce splintering on your cut pieces.

Scott

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Pete, thanks for sharing the info! I've been looking for a fast and accurate way to end cut 20" hardwood planks, and this saw should provide the solution.

I learned a neat trick from Mike (the seller), and that is if you use a hard setting body putty on the edges of the saw groove in the RAS table top, you can keep the groove edge clean and sharp and thus reduce splintering on your cut pieces.

Scott

Is that a gloat on another HUGE tool, Scott?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
That saw is big, but it's the width cut that's 24", the blades only 12", so it must be for the small shop.:rotflm:

Jimmy:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Is that a gloat on another HUGE tool, Scott?

Jeremy, Nah, not a "HUGE" tool.

If I wanted to gloat about a recent "HUGE TOOL" acquisition, I'd post a pix of this: <grin>

Scott_grader2.jpg

ps: I'll post some pix of the saw, and other goodies... later. Scott

M

McRabbet

No, Mike! Don't you recognize an upside down jointer when you see one? It's even designed with side chip ejection! :twitcy:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Holy Handgrenade Batman, that's a big piece of machinery!

So what exactly did you acquire? That little yeller thing, or the bigger trailer on which it's sitting? :rolf:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Jeremy, Nah, not a "HUGE" tool.

If I wanted to gloat about a recent "HUGE TOOL" acquisition, I'd post a pix of this: <grin>

Scott_grader2.jpg

ps: I'll post some pix of the saw, and other goodies... later. Scott

:week: Gotta figure a feller with an aeroplane will be needing a landing field.

YOU SCRAPE!

Your friend (with a potholed driveway),
Roger

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Scott, I have recently seen some old Army field-expedient airfield material for sale somewhere... the corrugated (?) metal sheets that were laid over dirt, gravel, or grass fields during WWII and later. lemme go digging!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Mike / Roger: You figured it out! I'll use this pretty extensively when I start working on the grass airstsrip. In the meanwhile, it will be handy for maintaining the farm roads.

Pete - I remember those old runway repair panels. As I recall, they are made from aluminum with a bunch of holes punched in them. Sure would bring a pretty penny at today's scrap prices.

Bas - the trailer is "old", only the grader is new. The trailer is a real "enabler"; it allows me to accomplish things that I otherwise couldn't do. It's the same one that I used to bring Jeff's QS sycamore to the picnic last year.

I was pretty well maxed out on this load though. Even though it towed just fine, it sure looked like a "tail wagging the dog" going down the road!

Dually_grader2.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I haven't seen much Fiat/Allis equipment around here in the last 30 years, but what I have seen & used seemed pretty reliable & well built. That should last you many years with proper care & maintenance.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dennis, that's what I'm hoping too. The grader only has 2,900 and some odd hours on it, no smoke from the engine, and the components are all tight. I'm actually the second owner; it's been owned for years by a construction company that's not all that far from you.

No more than I'll be using it, with some gentle use and good care I don't think that it will require much maintenance. Just for grins, I'll go ahead and replace the bottom cutting edge.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You have some amazing [STRIKE]toys[/STRIKE] equipment Scott. I think you need to organize the NCWW Annual Tractor Race. All it takes is a good rainy day and a muddy field.

Yeah, I'll bet a trailer like that comes in useful. That's always a big factor when buying anything new - can I get it home, and will it fit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS