Howdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trog777

New User
Trog
Hello All. I love that NC has it's own (with neighbor's included) WW forum. Joined a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading the posts, so I decided I'd introduce myself. I live outside Asheboro. Been herebouts pretty much all my life. I have a 45x35 detached garage that I'm currently in the process of changing over from automotive customization to woodworking. I have some issues with my spine thanks to the dreaded "C" word, and can no longer contort, stretch, wiggle, and crawl around, under hoods, in and under vehicles. So I'm in the midst of liquidating all those expensive Snap-on, Mac, etc tools/equipment and replace them with equally expensive WW tools.:-D (Yeah! A hobby that's mostly waist high! WooHoo!) I've done some woodworking in the past with pleasing results, and which I enjoyed immensely. Kitchen cabinets (had to hire out the doors), wainscoting, gun cabinets, corner hutch, and trim type stuff, but not since way back in school cabinetry class have I worked in a shop equipped to build what I would call "top quality" pieces.

I'm a serious overboard type person, meaning I have a hard time settling for "that'll do", but I ain't stupid either. My skill level, knowledge, and pocketbook won't allow me to go out and purchase a whole shop full of top-of –the-line euro machinery. But, I've accumulated quite a collection of mechanics tools over the years for someone who didn't make their living at it. My friends say a lot of pro shops wish they were equipped as well. (Sorta like some of you with your woodworking tools I bet) So in trade dollar wise, I should be able to make choices in the "don’t buy that, save up until you have enough to get..." category, as the want..., er, need arises.
smile.gif

The best part is, my son is excited about doing WW too. He's been helping me lately where he never had any interest at all in mechanic'n. I'm about half insomniac so I live on the Internet at night. I'll research something to death just out of boredom, but I'm usually satisfied with my purchases because of that. Popped for a ClearVue last month (got a mini too while I was at it and it was on sale for $89. Puppy works great hooked up to a shop vac. Can't wait to get the daddy installed) to go ahead and get the DC up and ready, and I want to pick up a large bandsaw, jointer and planer soon.

I've been buying all my wood s2s from Wall Lumber for years. Been satisfied with them, but am looking forward to the day in the very near future when I can do it myself and maybe get in with one of the more local sawyers (if there are any). Anyway, I look forward to reading and learning more from "ya'll".

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Welcome! Obsessing over tools and on the net at night? You're going to fit right in around here!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Trog, I'm just south of you near Albemarle. Sound's like you're ready to take the plunge! Lots of good sawyers around. Ivey, Kyle, Jack, Jeff. You can find what you need at a good price. Welcome aboard.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Trog, you sound like you'll fit in here quite nicely. Thanks for intro, it's always nice to put a background to folks on this site. I am sure that there will be members in your area that will be along soon and give the low down on your local wood sources.
Make sure a digital camera is one of your new tool purchases, if you don't already have one. We love pics...of just about anything. And if you aready have one, I would love to see some of your work :icon_thum
I look forward to your input in the forums and seeing you around here.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Welcome the the site, Trog -- glad to see you trade in the old greasy tools for the ones that make all that dust you'll be sucking up with your new ClearVue cyclone. As a coincidence (or we're both really smart), I just bought a CV1800 after a few of us took a ride down to ClearVue's shop in Pickens, SC earlier this week -- see my thread on the trip here. I'd also like to hear how you like the little CV06 -- it appears to be a great little unit and I may buy one too. Keep us posted on your Cyclone installation (e.g., your duct setup, assembly, etc.) and be sure to start a Photo Gallery so we can see it all!

Again, welcome aboard.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Oh yeah, you'll fit in just fine here.
I raced for a living for a long time, then wrote about racing for a living for a long time and always did woodworking in the background. Then I saw the light (minor back problems also but more fed up with big-time racing) and went woodworking full time. I'm certainly not any richer but my attitude is way better and I actually make things we can keep, unlike building race cars......
Have fun, buy lots of cool tools and enjoy yourself!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great to have you on board. Can't wait to see the shop when it's full of tools ;-). You'll find a lot of helpful advice about a wide variety of tools here.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Welcome aboard Trog. It sounds like you subscribe to the old adage " He who dies with the most tools wins ", you'll fit in real well around here. While getting rid of the mechanic's tools you can also dump the large can of Goop, clean hands from now on.

Good luck,

Jimmy:)

Trog777

New User
Trog
Thanks for the welcome guys. Seems like a lot of good folks here.

Tom, I hear ya. I spent a few years working on race cars on the side. Lots of work for what few rewards there were. I enjoyed it though and learned a ton. That's me in the black tee, but 20 or so years ago. Dang time flies.:-?

und1titlewc3.jpg

Here's a pic of the outside of my shop. I've really enjoyed it, but it's time to move in a different direction.

dsc01909auw4.jpg

Mike, I worked in G'boro for 20 years. Had to travel some but was mainly based there. Also lived in G'boro for a few years. I like it better down here though. In the seven years I lived there I never even knew my next door neighbors name. Coming from a lil community where you knew everybody and their dog's name for a 2-3 mile radius, I wasn't used to that.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Trog,

Welcome to the NCWW. Sounds as if you're really well on your way. I'm a bit jealous of the shop building. I also think it terrific that this is something you'll be able to share with your son.

Ray

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Trog..... Glad you decide to join in. From the sounds of your intro I think you are a perfect fit for our crew.:eusa_danc

PS. It was said before but pictures pictures pictures

childe

New User
Chris
Welcome to the sight Trog! Sounds like, with all that new equiptment and ambition, That we'll be learning some things from you.

Chris

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome- glad you joined us! Sounds like you'll fit right in. Enjoy the site! If you can get to the wwing show in Hickory at the end of the month a bunch of us will get to meet you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS