How Do You Heat Your Shop? Poll

How do you heat (or stay warm) in your shop?

• Thermal underwear

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • Wood stove

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • Kerosene heater

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Propane heater

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Natural gas heater

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Portable electric heater

Votes: 40 24.4%
  • Radiant heating

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Heat-Pump

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Other non-portable electric heater

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Infrared heater

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Working really, really, fast

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Heat?!?!? We don' need no steeeenkin heat! (Mt. Gomer)

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • leech from ducts running through my basement shop (merrill77)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Len

New User
Len
Maybe it's the low ceiling, but one of those oil filled electric heaters that looks like a radiator warms my garage/workshop up quite nicely in an hour or so.

Len

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use a wall mounted infa-red LP gas heater. It has a thermostat, but when I'm not in the shop, I turn it off. I like working in a light sweatshirt, so I keep temp around 60. That way, when I have to go outdoors (my shop doesn't have any plumbing), I don't freeze. If I were doing new, radiant hot water in the slab would be the way to go.

decibel

New User
Patrick
220V Electric heater mounted from ceiling. It's a bit of a power hog but it has a thermostat and works well for me. If I had the room a wood stove would be great though.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used a Kerosene heater in the old shop that I will be using in the new. Long term I plan to add a ventless LP heater.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have a fan forced 220V heater that is mounted between wall studs. I bought it at one of the BORGs and it does a good job of keeping my 24 x 24 shop warm. It currently is adjusted by a knob controlled thermostat on the unit but I intend to add a real programmable thermostat.:wsmile:

Last edited:

Rob

New User
Rob
My shops in the basement, heated off the downstairs heat pump that heats the lower level of the house. I sometimes light up a propane heater to take the edge off, because it does stay quite a bit cooler then the house, but most times that's not an issue.

ehpoole

Ethan
My shop (about 550 sq/ft with 10-1/2ft ceilings) is heated primarily by a 12,000 BTU Window Unit (combo A/C and electric strip heat). On the very rare evenings (coldest winter nights with high wind) when that is not enough, I can add an extra 1,000 watts (about 3,000 BTUs) with an old space heater.

If I am in a big hurry to get it warmed up for whatever reason, I also have available a Mr. Heater Big Buddy portable propane unit which offers 4000, 9000 or 18000 BTUs. I use it primarily for backup heating during extended power outtages so I don't have to run the generator continously, but it is available for shop use when needed.

One of the first things I did when I setup heating in my shop was insulate our steel garage door, which helps a great deal. I also weather stripped the attic access door to keep heat from escaping through the ceiling.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I use an electric heat/ac unit mounted in the wall. 16,000 btu heat, 18,500 a/c.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I just bit the bullet and picked up a 5000W electric heater from northerntool. Still have to run the 30A circuit but I have really good access to the panel. I hope it will work for the couple of nights a week I make it into the garage :).

Next on the list (or is it first?) Is to insulate those garage doors!
Salem

SubGuy

New User
Zach
It rarely gets cold enough in Florida to need heat:rotflm:, beside I couldn't heat my shop if I wanted. It has a roll-up door for entry and a hole in the side (which I need to fix) from a tornado two years ago. It'sm not so big that everything gets wet, just some scraps in the corner. All I need down here is some good hot coffee and light working gloves when it's really cold.:gar-La;

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
It rarely gets cold enough in Florida to need heat:rotflm:, beside I couldn't heat my shop if I wanted. It has a roll-up door for entry and a hole in the side (which I need to fix) from a tornado two years ago. It'sm not so big that everything gets wet, just some scraps in the corner. All I need down here is some good hot coffee and light working gloves when it's really cold.:gar-La;

:eusa_booh :eusa_booh:eusa_booh :rotflm:

Zach, I'll be thinking about you when I'm putting on my eskimo outfit to go down to the shop. :gar-La;

DonDeJ

New User
Don
By the time I've moved enough junk out of the way to do anything, I don't need a heater. Besides, it hardly gets cold around here. I spent 30 years in the higher elevations of Vermont, so winters in NC seem pretty balmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS