How Do You Heat Your Shop? Poll

How do you heat (or stay warm) in your shop?

• Thermal underwear

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • Wood stove

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • Kerosene heater

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Propane heater

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Natural gas heater

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Portable electric heater

Votes: 40 24.4%
  • Radiant heating

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Heat-Pump

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Other non-portable electric heater

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Infrared heater

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Working really, really, fast

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Heat?!?!? We don' need no steeeenkin heat! (Mt. Gomer)

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • leech from ducts running through my basement shop (merrill77)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
http://www.ultimategarageheater.com/garage-heater-energy-cost-calculator.php

found this link. I went with listed prices rather than looking them up. If I were to spend alot of time in my garage, I might consider trying to minimize costs but 10hrs or so a week isnt going to break my bank by trying to be as cost efficient as possible. Electric for me would be the easiest and I wouldn't have to hire anyone to install anything or make structural changes to make sure there was proper ventillation.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Woah... that is odd. From their numbers electric heat is cheaper than natural gas?!? I think the cost per KwH looks right. My guess is their estimate for natural gas price per therm is too high.
Just checked. DOE says average cost is 1.5$ per therm in NC. After changing that number natural gas becomes almost 1/2 the cost of electric. But I don't think it changes your equation. If you are not spending tons of time in that space then the cost of running difference does not justify the cost of install.
Salem

mtnfyre

New User
Bradley
ok since no one else did this i am going to.

everyone had checked and replaced the batteries in the smoke sniffing units that i am sure you all have in your shops right.

how about the co units that i am sure is in there also.
checked the fire ext to make sure the needle is in the green.
made sure nothing is going to come in touch with ur heating unit.

stay safe. this is a busy time for fire depts. please dont add onto the work load.
I hate to see wood working peices go up in flames.:gar-Bi

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
How do you stay warm in your shop?

I like to use heat sources that don't dump a lot of moisture into the air. Just about any open flame heater will release enough mosture into the air to cause issues with corrosion and even the moisture content of any stored wood. Heat pumps and electric heaters won't cause an increase in moisture in the air.

Pete

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Cathy,

You could easily and inexpensively add a couple of paddle fans up high to recirculate the warm air.

bobby g

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
My shop has rafters spaced about 10' apart with 2x4 purlins between them holding up a metal roof with that really thin roll of insulation that you always put under a metal roof. The height of the ceiling is 8.5" walls and then probably another 5 feet to the crest of the roof. My walls are 2 x 4 studs with insulation and 1/2" particle board covering them, metal on the outside. I bought a bunch of used insulation from a construction site and thought about placing it up between the purlins with chicken-wire or something similar stapled to hold it up. I had read that you should leave breathing room with roof insulation so I didn't want to enclose the insulation completely between the purlins. It has taken me two years, doing a little bit at a time, to get my shop as far as it is (see picture below) and the next step is electricity which I hope to be able to install this spring. If it was a good idea to install the insulation as I described, I could go ahead and get that done now. Then, hopefully, it will be electricity this spring and dust collection ducting next fall... and I can finally move in.:eusa_danc

New_Shop1.jpg

nmanley

New User
Nick
Everyone,
In case you haven't considered it, COVE heating units (infrared) were an experiment in my year-old shop and they have more than paid for themselves. Cheaper than most other electric options. A HVAC friend recommended them. I'd never really heard about it. It should be a consideration if you don't like high electric bills and saw dust EXPLOSIONS with open flame or red-hot elements! :kamahlitu

Gabe

What size heater did you get, and how big is your shop?

Nick.

jobelenus

New User
bigjohn
I just purchased a NewAir G73 Electric Garage Heater online - It got great reviews and everyone said it handled a 2 car garage OK - so we shall see when it comes - all I have to do now is to run the line....:kamahlitu

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Woah... that is odd. From their numbers electric heat is cheaper than natural gas?!? I think the cost per KwH looks right. My guess is their estimate for natural gas price per therm is too high.
Just checked. DOE says average cost is 1.5$ per therm in NC. After changing that number natural gas becomes almost 1/2 the cost of electric. But I don't think it changes your equation. If you are not spending tons of time in that space then the cost of running difference does not justify the cost of install.
Salem

Electric resistance heating is the most expensive way to heat any space. The marketing guys claim that it is 100% efficient, well that is right, but heat pumps and high-efficiency gas furnaces are much more efficient than that. Small electric radiant heaters can do a decent job of heating small spaces that don't get a lot of use. They are fine for warming you up while working in the shop for a few hours a day. Their primary advantage is that they are generally portable, inexpensive to buy, and require little or no installation. The average home owner can set them up with ease.

The real cost of electric heat comes in when you need to use it a lot or want to heat a larger space. A 5kw electric heater costs around $.50 per hour to run. That can get a bit pricy after a while. But if you only heat the shop infrequently the low initial cost can offset the higher operational cost.

Pete

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I just purchased a NewAir G73 Electric Garage Heater online - It got great reviews and everyone said it handled a 2 car garage OK - so we shall see when it comes - all I have to do now is to run the line....:kamahlitu
I had to chuckle a bit when I checked on the New Air heater on Amazon. Down at the bottom they always give you "Customers who bought this item also bought..." The first five items listed included a PSI Woodworking Big Gulp dust hood....OK, that makes sense; 4" x 20' Woodstock dust collector hose...alright...I can see that; Two Cherries brand cabinet scraper...I get that; Fiji Natural artesian bottled water...uh, OK...one can get parched in the shop; and lastly, an Exquisite Form Longline Posture bra...huh?! And that fits in with a garage heater and woodworking accessories how?! Are there a lot of crossdressing woodworkers out there? Do our female woodworking friends prefer this particular bra over all others?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I had to chuckle a bit when I checked on the New Air heater on Amazon. Down at the bottom they always give you "Customers who bought this item also bought..." The first five items listed included a PSI Woodworking Big Gulp dust hood....OK, that makes sense; 4" x 20' Woodstock dust collector hose...alright...I can see that; Two Cherries brand cabinet scraper...I get that; Fiji Natural artesian bottled water...uh, OK...one can get parched in the shop; and lastly, an Exquisite Form Longline Posture bra...huh?! And that fits in with a garage heater and woodworking accessories how?! Are there a lot of crossdressing woodworkers out there? Do our female woodworking friends prefer this particular bra over all others?

Hey dude. What I where in the shop is none of your business!

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Adding a mini-split ductless system next year. Heat pump and AC. Seems to be the best dollar for dollar for temp.
Looks like I can get one for around $600-800 for 9-12,000 btu

9foot ceiling with R13 in wall and R19-30 in ceiling.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
My shop leeches heat/cool from the ducts running through my basement shop. There aren't any vents, but the uninsulated ducts (and a dehumidifier) keep the shop temperate year-round.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Please share the manuf/model no/source for a mini-split in this price range.

Here is the best price I have found so far...

http://www.invincible-electronics.com/Mr_Whisper_13_Seer/cat315965_367304.aspx
$625 for 9000 and $685 for the 12,000btu.

They have higher SEER and HSPF models for more. Also invertor models are listed.
Comes with both pieces (inside and out) plus the line kit is included. Many charge another $100 or so for that. They are precharged so if you use less than 15feet of line you don;t need any extra 410.

I was also looking at window units or even through wall unit but they don;t seem to be as effient as mini-split systems.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Here is the best price I have found so far...

http://www.invincible-electronics.com/Mr_Whisper_13_Seer/cat315965_367304.aspx
$625 for 9000 and $685 for the 12,000btu.

They have higher SEER and HSPF models for more. Also invertor models are listed.
Comes with both pieces (inside and out) plus the line kit is included. Many charge another $100 or so for that. They are precharged so if you use less than 15feet of line you don;t need any extra 410.

I was also looking at window units or even through wall unit but they don;t seem to be as effient as mini-split systems.

That would be my choice too. My garage is heated from the house system, thought it does not have an air return because of CO issues, it does a good job of keeping it warm. A code change several years back does not let you connect the garage to the house system. Adding a separate heat pump would be relatively inexpensive and very effective.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS