How Do You Design Your Projects? Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Here's a question that I'm expecting a variety of answers on ... how do you design your projects?

Up until now I've done all of mine by hand on a piece of paper freehand. This usually lends itself to an oversight that somehow messes up the project at hand.

I am wondering --- how do you do it? Do you use software? If so, what software?

There's got to be a better way!:-?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
gotojeremy said:
how do you design your projects?

Up until now I've done all of mine by hand on a piece of paper freehand. This usually lends itself to an oversight that somehow messes up the project at hand.

I generally do most of my stuff on paper with pencil. My oversights are not "messing up" they are design modifications. But if it is crucial and involves expensive materials (somebody else's money) I use Eagle Point CAD (from work) but it gives dimensions in 100ths of an inch and I don't have a ruler to measure like that so the translation into fractional measures often lead to minor "design modifications".
Dave:)

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I design and layout everything I build with Autocad. I make exploded diagrams and dimension all the "important" things. When I go to the shop I can make sawdust and don't have to spend a lot of time figuring.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
The only software I ever use is for segmented bowls..... It sure beats going through that difficult math to find the right size for each piece

4yanks

New User
Willie
I do it on paper. I mostly build reproductions. So if I see a picture of something I like I use a scale to figure out the general dimensions. Then I draw a series of perspectives. Then I draw scaled front and side views. Then I draw full size views of critical joinery. This usually uncovers any problems before work starts.

dustcollector

New User
Update your profile with your name
I occasionally will draw something by hand, sometimes CAD, but these days my favorite by far is SketchUp. Not really a CAD program, but you can do dimensioning, and VERY intuitive.

You can get a free 8 hr. trial from their website. If you do tho, watch their website Video Tutorials FIRST, and you will get a lot more benefit from the 8 hrs.

Love it!! BTW, the company was just bought by Google. :-( :-D :?: :?: :?: :?:

Gary

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
What little I've done has been mostly with pencil, paper and calculator. I have used Visio to make paper templates that I can trace onto MDF.

Ray

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I usually do what suits my eye. If I am doing a reproduction and the "original" ia accessible I take physical measurements. If I work from a magazine article I double check dimensions(I have found most of them to have errors comparing their cutting list and the sketches. A custom piece is just that--design as I go starting with the overall size, use specified heights if requested or standaed dimensions if not. Measure twice--cut once.;-)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Inventor and AutoCAD for me depending on the complexity of the project. Kitchens usually get 2D plan view. Furniture I try to creat a 3-D model to check proportions and joinery.

John

DaveD

New User
Dave
I use quadrille ruled paper with the 1/4" squares. I try to lay it out to scale and don't worry about drawing the details. Then I add notes about where rabbits, dados, and the like, go with appropriate dimensions scribbled somewhere on the paper. Sometimes I also have a 2nd page with more notes. Sometimes I'll draw out a detail so I don't forget my thought process.

I also like not being tied to the computer screen. I can sit in the easy chair in the evening with a beer next to me, sort of listening to the TV, and sketch away.

For me, the big thing is then letting the drawing age and look at it a couple of more times during the course of a week or two. Usually I'll revise something because I overlooked something or have a better idea.

I have done everything from simple bread boxes to full blown complete wall bookcases to even a 1000 sq ft addition (that was done on bigger flip chart paper) this way with great success. Usually when I make whatever it is I take some real measurements as I go along to determine things like exactly how long are these 4 pieces of horizontal face frame. Many parts I can just layout, measure, and cut as I go when I get to the final trim.

Also when it comes to some standalone piece I can 'change it on the fly' a little if I happen screw up some initial cut.

Someplace I'd like to use/find software to help me though is to figure out a cut list for cutting up plywood. I have 2 built in bookcases to make and each is going to take probably 10 sheets of mahogany plywood. I'd sure like to be able to plug in A number of this size, B of this size, etc and have the software tell me how many sheets I really need and how to cut them (with the grain all running the same way). Particularly at $80-$100 a sheet and with probably 15 different sizes involved.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I use Delta Cad for design and cutlist pro from bridgewood design for the layout and cutting of sheetgoods. I am working to teach myself solidworks but in the available "free" time I've had lately, I haven't gotten very far with it.

DaveD said:
Someplace I'd like to use/find software to help me though is to figure out a cut list for cutting up plywood. I have 2 built in bookcases to make and each is going to take probably 10 sheets of mahogany plywood. I'd sure like to be able to plug in A number of this size, B of this size, etc and have the software tell me how many sheets I really need and how to cut them (with the grain all running the same way). Particularly at $80-$100 a sheet and with probably 15 different sizes involved.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Thanks for all of the great feedback. Keep it coming!

In one way it is really reassuring to hear that so many other more experienced wwer's are doing it much the same as I, and interesting to hear the other ideas.

M

McRabbet

I start with pencil and paper sketches and then work out component dimensions and joinery details using TurboCAD (I have 10.2 Professional). I usually do a full elevation view for discussion with the project client (could be me for a shop cabinet, or a real paying client) and then alter that to suit. Like Steve DeWeese, I rely on Cutlist Plus to do my sheet and dimensioned lumber layouts. I've found that I make fewer mistakes due to the accuracy of CAD.

Rob

mturi

New User
Mark
Definitely pencil and paper especially during meetings at work. Occasionally I dabble with AutoCad but that has more challenges than the pencil at least for me.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
and for a slightly different approach . . .
I take a rough sketch. Scan it; place it on a template layer in Adobe Illustrator and draw/dimension using HotDoor CADTools Plug-In.

Probably not a good method for starting out but I've been using Illustrator for years and the addition of the CADTools makes it work well for creating dimensioned drawings. Plus I get it for free at work:-D

pete

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
ummm lets see,,napkins,,benchtops,,,wood im building the project with (have to be carefull not to plane that side untill last) fly by the seat of my pants design,,I really need some help too, i am going to look into all the stuff said..money restraints of course will not allow me some stuff. be blessed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS