Hello from Petaluma, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Hi,

First let me say thank you for extending the invitation to those of us who had been using the now defunct woodworking-galleries.org.

I'm a retired electrical engineer (Power Systems and High Voltage Power Supplies, at what is now IMATRON division of GE Medical Systems). I'm a linux user, Scottish Highland and Irish Uillean bagpipe player, Harry Potter fan, woodworker, philosopher, and other odds and ends!

Most of my woodworking turns out to be tool jigs and improvements, and things wanted or needed that I can learn to build for myself or my family.
I've never yet made anything for sale, as I'm as skilled as most woodworkers at making mistakes!

I'm also a woodnetter, as that was the first woodworking forum I learned of after acquiring new shop tools once I had woodworking space available again.

My woodworking has been scattered a bit over time; I haven't always had woodworking space and opportunity, and just got my first major tools a year and a half ago: Table Saw, Router, Biscuit Joiner, and a new mini-lathe.
Prior to that my tool collection consisted of a Makita 110mm circular saw (small!), an H. Disston & Sons broad-bladed crosscut saw that once belonged to the Grandfather of a late carpenter-friend, the usual collection of back saw, coping saw, hack saws, a few chisels, hammers, drills and wrenches.

I used to live closer to you North Carolinians; I grew up in Alexandria and Fairfax Counties, Virginia, but fate took me eventually to California. I can just recall that when very young (probably between 3 and 6 years of age) that we traveled to North Carolina in the summertime to visit friends or relations. It's a pity I have no detailed memory of that visit.

Once again, thanks for inviting us aboard.

Johnpipe108

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
cool! do have the kilt, too??? or not Scottish, but interested in the history of the area where all food was invented on some sort of wierd dare??? I had intended to order a formal kilt for my father's memorial, but it came up way faster than expected, and at over $1K, my wife balked....

Bean, MacBean, MacBethain, MacBain, MacBeth ---- all the same clan, and my family heritage.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the NC WW website, John. Happy to have you here and we look forward to seeing pics of your work.

Rob

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Welcome aboard, John! (just keep the bagpipes out there:lol:)
Nae, laddie, teres nae wrong wi th' pipes! Ah, the haunting sound of the PIPES!!!!! (Scottish blood showing)

Welcome aboard! Got a brother in Santa Barbara. How close are you to him?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome, John. Dined at the Cattleman's lately? I've been out there (Rhonert Park, Santa Rosa, Oakland) for technical training. Nice area. I've even been in downtown Calistoga during rush hour!

A co-worker was in Rhonert Park for training, and got lost on his way to Bodega Bay for dinner (took him 2 hours to get there!).

dozer

Mike
welcome to the best woodworking forum :-D almost all of my moms family lives in Ireland and Scotland I have always thought that bag pipes were cool :cool:

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
cool! do have the kilt, too??? or not Scottish, but interested in the history of the area where all food was invented on some sort of wierd dare??? I had intended to order a formal kilt for my father's memorial, but it came up way faster than expected, and at over $1K, my wife balked....

Bean, MacBean, MacBethain, MacBain, MacBeth ---- all the same clan, and my family heritage.

Kilts are expensive; I once tried to make one, back in the sixties. When I came to California in the early seventies, I discovered the Renaissance Faire, so used the ancient "phileamhor" ["great kilt"] or "belted plaid" (plaid [rhymes with "blade"] means a blanket), a 5 yard piece of woolen tartan about 60 inches wide which is pleated by hand over a wide waist belt each time you dress, with the ends tucked in the waist, and the top center pinned to the shoulder; it's the ancestor of the "philabeg" ["little kilt"]. The old dress was literally your blanket to sleep under at night!

Haven't heard about "food and a wierd dare" before, but haggis could be considered weird by some folks ;-)

Speaking of Mac Beth, there's a lumber company in Berkely called "MacBeath Hardwoods" and it was decades before I found out it's pronounced "MacBeth" :oops:

John

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Nae, laddie, teres nae wrong wi th' pipes! Ah, the haunting sound of the PIPES!!!!! (Scottish blood showing)

Welcome aboard! Got a brother in Santa Barbara. How close are you to him?

I'm about an hours drive north of San Francisco; Santa Barbara is way down south (about an hour by air). :-(

Thanks, John

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
Welcome, John. Dined at the Cattleman's lately? I've been out there (Rhonert Park, Santa Rosa, Oakland) for technical training. Nice area. I've even been in downtown Calistoga during rush hour!

A co-worker was in Rhonert Park for training, and got lost on his way to Bodega Bay for dinner (took him 2 hours to get there!).

I can believe that; there's plenty of back roads to get lost on ;-)

Haven't yet dined at Cattleman's :-( , maybe sometime this year :icon_thum

Thank, John

M

McRabbet

... Bean, MacBean, MacBethain, MacBain, MacBeth ---- all the same clan, and my family heritage.
Pete, I just noticed this at the end of your earlier post -- my wife is also a McBean through her Mother's side and we visited their small memorial garden near Loch Ness in the Highlands about 15 years ago -- here's the clan crest:
opt42f3ad6ff1b42.jpg
I trace my Scottish heritage to the MacRae clan, who were in the Western Highlands and protectors of one of the most photographed castles in Scotland, Eilean Donan Castle near Dornie and the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh to Isle of Skye. Been there, too. Ah, such memories!

Rob

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
Petaluma? 8-O

Iffin I'da knowed that, I'da ordered some chicken! :lol::lol:

Zin, borned & raised in Stockton. :-D

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hmm, I had a friend who went to Petaluma in '71. He's still not back :eusa_thin
David Swing . . . worked for RCA until a few years ago.

Roger

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome John and Zin, West meets East and vice versus, eh:

I drove through a little town called Honeydew in No. Cal a few years back (1982). Almost didn't come back from there, either, but it wasn't a good thing!! Not wise to be carrying a US Gov ID in the midst of the #1 money crop growing area of the state!!. I swear I heard "duelin' Banjos " playin':rolf:

Go

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Pete, I just noticed this at the end of your earlier post -- my wife is also a McBean through her Mother's side and we visited their small memorial garden near Loch Ness in the Highlands about 15 years ago -- here's the clan crest:
opt42f3ad6ff1b42.jpg
I trace my Scottish heritage to the MacRae clan, who were in the Western Highlands and protectors of one of the most photographed castles in Scotland, Eilean Donan Castle near Dornie and the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh to Isle of Skye. Been there, too. Ah, such memories!

Rob

that is a beautiful castle.
did you play any golf whilst visiting?
That is one of those things my father was looking forward to in retirement.
I have a tie in the MacBean tartan, doesn't go with much, but I can wear it with anything :lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS