Hello from another new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjwitzig

New User
Tom
Hi all:

My name is Tom Witzig. I found out about this site from a fellow employee at the Raleigh Woodcraft, where I work part-time. I've also had the opportunity to chat with several of you at the store, which is one of the benefits of working there. Anyway, my wife and I just moved to Clayton in March from Northern Virginia after retiring last year. I was a USDA economist for many years and she was a respiratory therapist. Our daughter is a civil engineer and our son is starting his senior year at George Mason University. I also worked part-time at the Woodcraft up there, where I met Herb Shelley, who also just moved down here and who manages the Raleigh Woodcraft.

I've been woodworking for 35 years or so. Right now I'm putting together my new shop down here. I have a 2-floor detached garage all to myself and am insulating it and so forth. I mostly make period reproductions. Some of my work can be seen in the gallery at the Society of American Period Furniture Makers website sapfm.org. I hope you enjoy looking at it and look forward to meeting more of you.

Tom Witzig

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Welcome Tom:

I am also a NVa transplant. Moved here about 2 and half years ago. Where are you from in Virginia? I knew Herb from the Springfield WC. I might know you too.

Glad to have you here. We like pics if no one has told you.

BTW there will be a Southern Raleigh Shop crawl (probably in August if all the hosts are available. It'll be right in your back yard.

Doug

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Main_62165_Pembroke%201MAIN.jpg

Main_18715_Oval%20Tea%20Table%201.jpg

Wow, outstanding work. Not my style but I can appreciate what goes into a piece like that. Tom, it's nice to meet you over the forum, and I really look forward to meeting you in person later this week.
I really look forward to your input in the forums and learning from you. I hope to see some pics of your works in progress as soon as you get settled in.
See you around!

Dave:)

tjwitzig

New User
Tom
Doug:

I lived in Annandale. Your picture looks somewhat familiar. Maybe we ran into each other at Woodcraft, or maybe at the Washington Woodworkers Guild. Did you belong? Look forward to talking about it sometime.

Dave:

Thanks for the kind words. See you Thursday bright and early.

Tom

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Welcome Tom. You obviously, have a lot tom offer on this forum and I look forward to learning from you.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Welcome, Tom. You just recognize DaveO's pic from the "Wanted" posters. He is responsible for helping many a WW'er wander off the way of flat wood, down the slippery slope of woodturning.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Welcome Tom, it is great to have you here. We look forward to your input in the forums.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Tom. I am glad you joined us. This is the greatest WW group going. If you need any help setting up the shop just give us a yell.

P.S. Pictures, pictures and pictures.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome Tom!:eusa_clap I am really looking forward to seeing more of your work and input to our forums.:thumbs_up

Hope to meet you in person on my next visit to WC!

Have fun!

Wayne

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Welcome Tom!

Yup, there are a few N. VA transplants here. Not too long ago I was "Alan in Alexandria" on another forum. I am retired Navy and moved here 3 1/2 years ago after retiring a second time (actually quitting) from a civilian job in DoD.

I too have a two story garage shop (3 car, attached), but I only get to use the second story for my shop. It is almost big enough :gar-Bi

From the pics, you certainly look like a very accomplished woodworker.

Welcome!!!

nelsone

New User
Ed
First welcome to the site! You make some beautiful pieces. I wish you where in the Charlotte area so I could come over and get some tips from you!!! Please post pics here when you are working on your next piece.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome to NC and NCWWer, Tom!
Sounds like you're going through a tough period . . . retired and working in a woodworking store :rolleyes:

Look forward to your input,
Roger

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Welcome Tom - glad to have you on board - seen the pics that Dave loaded and your work is wonderful:icon_thum

b4man

New User
Barbara
Hey Tom and another welcome. Your work is beautiful. I can't wait to see your future projects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS