Hello all, Let me Introduce Myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamcad

New User
Mark
Hello everyone!!!!

I would like to take this time to introduce myself. I have recentely moved to North Carolina from Colorado. I am interested in STARTING this hobby and really do not have any knowledge about woodworking. Sorry to say, that I will not be alot of help to all of you out there, but I will be asking alot of questions.

I have been lurking on this forum for a bit, and finally decided that this is the first step I need to make in order to get started in this hobby. Let me explain my current knowledge a bit. I had a friend who was heavy into woodworking and liked to hang out in his shop and mess around. I have not really built anything, or done anything myself, he would set up stuff and just let me run wood through tools. Needless to say, I enjoyed it. Oh and this was about 10 years ago, so I have forgotten anything that I might have learned.

My first question to the group. I am currently living in an apartment (until my house is sold in Colorado) and just want to get started making sawdust. How do I do this? Seems like a strange question, but my space is limited. Where do I do this kind of work in an apartment. Anyone that has done this, please give me an idea of how you did your work in an apartment.

Anyway, just wanted to get that out there and say Hi, will have more questions in the furture.

Mark.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Mark, you will find lots of experienced help here, so ask your questions as often as you have them. The first thing that pops in my mind for woodworking in an apartment is turning, it's quiet, messy but not too dusty and a mini/midi lathe is easily portable. I knew of a guy who converted a coat closet into his work shop. He would open the door and a bench would fold down. He worked exclusively with hand tools, and on smaller pieces. Another thought would be to find one of the many members in your area and see if you could work in their shop a bit. It would be a good way to learn, meet some of the great members, and find somebody to know in your area.
Glad you introduced yourself, it's good to "meet" you.
See you around!!
Dave:)

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome to the site, Mark. Happy to have you join us. You'll find a great group of folks here that love to help and look at pictures. :eusa_danc

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Mark,

Welcome to NC and Cumberland County. I am also from Cumberland Co. Before I moved into my home I live 5 years in an apartment. I kept my tools in the closet, under the bed and in a spare room. If I wanted to do any woodworking I had to pull out my tools and take them outside and set up under a tree where I had a bench. Worked pretty good but had to take down at night and when the weather was coming in. But I loved woodworking so I did it. But in a true response its not fun. Now I have a home and my workshop and I can leave my tools out or put them up in my shop. But anyway you have to decide how you want to do it. But welcome to the sawdust pile. Hope we can hook up here in Cumberland Co. Terry
:eek:ccasion1 :new_smili

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome to another Mark! Hope your housing situation changes fast.
I took over an extra bathroom in an apartment we lived in during transition between homes. Put heavy craft paper down on everything and a piece of 3/4" plywood over part of the tub for a bench. Even had pretty decent dust control with a shop vac and the vent fan! Amazing how much woodworking you can do in a small space. Some situations involving the toilet brought new meaning to the term "multi-tasking" though.:oops:
If you haven't noticed we're a pretty friendly group. If you need something we can rally the troops and help.

Mark in Concord (near Charlotte)

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome Mark, glad you decided to jump in! I turned pens in a room in the house we rented about a year ago. Turning pens really doesn't make much mess at all or take too much room. You could always learn to use a scroll saw - as long as you have a good vacuum (shop vac is probably the best). Carving is another option unless you just want power tools. You've gotten some interesting suggestions so far (the plywood over the tub is my favorite so far) so it will be interesting to read other suggestions Please let us know what you wind up doing. Feel free to ask questions - we can all learn from questions and answers.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
wellcome to the site! i used to do some stuff when i was apartment bound. it sucked :lol: a lot:crybaby2: but i did get some good results. if you have a balcony that is!:rolf: a mini lathe on a balcony overlooking the pool or hot tub area could produce ummmm.... lumps on the old noggin if ya aint carefull.:slap: i am a couple hours away but i am sure someone round here is closer to fayettenam who wouldnt mind some company in the shop.

fred p

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Welcome Mark! working in retail, I have some pretty strange schedules, so sharing my shop would often be a challenge, but there are several of us in the Fayetteville area who may be able to help in the short term. If you are a service member, there are reasonably well equipped woodcraft shops on post. Watch for more responses from the Cumberland county area, I am sure someone has a schedule that may fit yours :)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hello Mark and welcome.
I too am located in Fayetteville, well, really eastover.

I have a shop set up and often open it up to trustworthy folks to use and enjoy. Just ask Terry he saw it briefly about 3 weeks ago.

I am usually in there goofing around, got to love being retired.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Hello everyone!!!!

I would like to take this time to introduce myself. I have recentely moved to North Carolina from Colorado. I am interested in STARTING this hobby and really do not have any knowledge about woodworking. Sorry to say, that I will not be alot of help to all of you out there, but I will be asking alot of questions.

I have been lurking on this forum for a bit, and finally decided that this is the first step I need to make in order to get started in this hobby. Let me explain my current knowledge a bit. I had a friend who was heavy into woodworking and liked to hang out in his shop and mess around. I have not really built anything, or done anything myself, he would set up stuff and just let me run wood through tools. Needless to say, I enjoyed it. Oh and this was about 10 years ago, so I have forgotten anything that I might have learned.

My first question to the group. I am currently living in an apartment (until my house is sold in Colorado) and just want to get started making sawdust. How do I do this? Seems like a strange question, but my space is limited. Where do I do this kind of work in an apartment. Anyone that has done this, please give me an idea of how you did your work in an apartment.

Anyway, just wanted to get that out there and say Hi, will have more questions in the furture.

Mark.

Welcome to North Carolina Mark!! Where is Colorado did you live? We lived in Castle Rock for 7 yrs and moved back to the East coast in 2002. We love NC, but really miss Colorado.

Again WELCOME!

sawman

New User
Albert
Mark,
Welcome to the site, lots of interesting topics, comments, usefull ideas for creating sawdust. From reading the the ideas used for wood working in an apartment, what are you going to build first.

Albert

:saw:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS