Hearing protection advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwat

New User
Bill
I'm looking for a way to preserve what hearing I have left. A site search showed no recent threads so "hear" goes...

Need good comfortable ear protection without radio or digital device connections. I only wear them short-term as I start up the noisy power tools and remove immediately afterward. There appear to be a lot of high quality units (Peltor, Pyramex, etc.) on the market these days and some high end electronic earmuffs can exceed $2-300. I checked a few of the WW mag sites and there are a few reviews out there that I will check in the mag "library" as well.

Any personal experiences or feedback from our ranks on the better units that fit well with safety glasses?

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bill,

I've used Peltor for years and am satisfied with the comfort and performance. I wanted another pair so I tried the brand that Lowes carries and the plastic arch that fits over your head snapped. I returned them and got another and after a while the same thing happened. Took them back and got a refund. Went on line and ordered another Peltor.

bobby g

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I picked up a yellow unit from Klingspor. About $10. It's comfortable enough and certainly reduces sound. Also have some red units that came with chain saws or leaf blowers or other. They do reduce sound but are uncomfortable for me. I will sweat on hot days with either.

thrytis

New User
Eric
I recently got the Peltor H10A Optime 105 earmuffs. They block a lot more noise than my old pair did (a Harbor Freight pair) though they feel a bit tight after wearing for a long time and i feel like i have a neck brace on when i hang them around my neck. Good quality and very effective, just not the most comfortable for an extended period.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I've worn quite a few sets over the years, sometimes for hours at a time when operating heavy equipment on my farm. Peltor is a great brand.

The most comfortable sets will have "gel pads", instead of just foam filled. Ryobi makes a pretty nice set with active noise cancellation that the BORG's stock.

bwat

New User
Bill
Thanks all. Looks like Peltor gets my $$. :icon_thum My older 9.99 versions and my ears need and upgrade.

mtnfyre

New User
Bradley
well just a suggestion
I shoot a lot. and wear ear muff while doing same.
any shooting store will have ear muffs.
probaly cheaper then you can find other places.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I got a set of these for Christmas http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/tek4/safety/RP4530 they work great and I have been able to wear them for hours at a time. They are great cause I can just leave them on and still hear my son in the house if he needs me and as soon as I turn any tool on they adjust to an appropriate level. The other thing I like is the fact that I can hook my ipod up to them and they don't get over bearing. I've had the battery in there since Christmas and haven't had to recharge the battery yet.

cpw

New User
Charles
I use these around the shop and for metal work.
And these when I'm running the chain saw.
Both are light weight, easy to drop around the neck when not in use, and both do a good job of cutting out the high pitched whines that do most of the damage.

BSHuff

New User
Brian
I found that I did not like the 'muffs', was always not where I wanted them so I never put them on when I needed them, and I have a large head so it always felt like I had my head in a vice.

Go to an audiologist/hearing aid place, and have custom molded ear plugs made for ~$100. I like them because they fit well and other then when I get real sweaty I forget that I have them on. I need a new set, I had mine done for a set of Sure headphones, the headphones don't work anymore, and the replacements are different design. There is some new technology out there with audio filters that will reduce down loud noises but allow conversation (with out batteries). They are a little more, but if you can wear them all the time in the shop and not remember you have them on, taking them on and off all the time, it is probably much better than having to buy hearing aids in a few years!

Glennbear

Glenn
I've worn quite a few sets over the years, sometimes for hours at a time when operating heavy equipment on my farm. Peltor is a great brand.

The most comfortable sets will have "gel pads", instead of just foam filled. Ryobi makes a pretty nice set with active noise cancellation that the BORG's stock.

I got a set of these for Christmas http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/tek4/safety/RP4530 they work great and I have been able to wear them for hours at a time. They are great cause I can just leave them on and still hear my son in the house if he needs me and as soon as I turn any tool on they adjust to an appropriate level. The other thing I like is the fact that I can hook my ipod up to them and they don't get over bearing. I've had the battery in there since Christmas and haven't had to recharge the battery yet.

I have a couple pairs of standard ear muffs, a set with built in FM radio and music jack and a set of the Tek4 active cancellation. The Ryobi has become my go to set. Unfortunately I got a little ham handed and now I need to do an epoxy repair on the head band. :wconfused: I would still recommend the Ryobi for shop use and the Peltor style for wear when operating noisy yard equipment. :wsmile:

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Bill,
+3 for the Peltor 105's and FYI,the gel filled units which we use in the real loud test cells in work react to your body heat and actually tighten up on your ears as they warm up to there surroundings.They can get a little annoying after long periods of wearing them.They are also a little heavy.Find some compressable foam ear plugs and use them along with the ear muffs and you should be well protected.
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors