Headed To Winchester and then Rochester Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I'll be hauling a car to Winchester, VA then another one from there to Rochester, NY behind my pickup in a couple of weeks. the bed of my truck will be empty... that is unless someone has something they'd like to go up in that direction. My route is pretty simple, I-85 to I-95 to route 17 to I-66 to route 340/522 to Winchester, I-81 to US-15 to I-86 to Corning, rtes 414 to 14 to 96 to 88 to Newark, NY and I'm 30 miles east of Rochester at that point.

Just thought I'd offer.

Quick note to add: Full size Ford 1/2 ton, short bed with soft T-cover over the bed.

R

rickc

I'll be hauling a car to Winchester, VA then another one from there to Rochester, NY behind my pickup in a couple of weeks. the bed of my truck will be empty... that is unless someone has something they'd like to go up in that direction. My route is pretty simple, I-85 to I-95 to route 17 to I-66 to route 340/522 to Winchester, I-81 to US-15 to I-86 to Corning,

Now THAT is scary! You just relayed my entire route to my place in NY! :eek:

In fact heading that direction tomorrow night. We usually spend the night in Winchester, at the Red Roof Inn, exit 312B if I recall correctly! We have found that taking 66 to I-81, is a little longer distance wise, but about the same in actual driving time due to the lights.

Wow!

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I, too, take 66 to Rt81. Especially when heading back this way, 66 has a couple wonderful overlooks!

Wait! I think I meant "64", the highway to Stanton! Man, I need a trip to Binghamton just to refresh my memory!

M

McRabbet

Then that's three of us Rick! I've taken I-81 to Harrisburg, US-15 to Painted Post and then up to Canandaigua or Rochester a gazillion times. Maybe we should get Gregory to stop at Grizzly outside Williamsport and stuff the back end of the truck with goodies on his way back! (I expect to take the trip in late June to do some work on the family property on the west side of Canandaigua Lake).

Hook

New User
Gregory
Canandaigua used to be my stomping grounds. I used to hang out on the pier in my early 20's looking to pick up some local gals to go out with. Got my AAS/Acct at Finger Lakes in 92.

R

rickc

Then that's three of us Rick! I've taken I-81 to Harrisburg, US-15 to Painted Post and then up to Canandaigua or Rochester a gazillion times. Maybe we should get Gregory to stop at Grizzly outside Williamsport and stuff the back end of the truck with goodies on his way back! (I expect to take the trip in late June to do some work on the family property on the west side of Canandaigua Lake).

We're heading up on the 27th for another week then, as well. Got to do the fireworks thing and 4th get together! Will make our final trip in August for two weeks. Now THAT is a tough trip to come home from! If only my office were further in the corner, maybe they wouldn't miss me! :gar-Bi

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
need to get further along on a set of yard chairs for my brother in Fairport, your timing would be just about perfect for, oh, never mind, their anniversary was a few weeks ago:BangHead::BangHead:

well, maybe I can get em done, and bring 'em to a mutually convenient spot??? Certainly don't want to try to make them baggage for my flight north in August.

Hook

New User
Gregory
I'm hoping to leave 2 weeks from tonight. If you can pony express your chairs to Raleigh or Creedmoor I should be able to get them really close to Fairport. If your brother can arrange for pickup in Newark or Sodus Point, that would be awesome! If he cannot arrange for pickup we can all figure something out, no big deal to take 31 west a bit and then head back up to Sodus.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Update - still expecting the trip to be this weekend, but there is a potential delay if the DMV doesn't get a title to us in the mail this week (applied for title 2 weeks ago). We would be bumping the trip out another week if we don't have said title by Thursday.

BTW, I've also had some requests to bring back some stuff that's local to the Rochester/Syracuse area from Wegmans. If you've never heard of Wegmans, don't worry about it. If you've heard of Wegmans and want something brought back that you know cannot be found here, please let me know. I'm gonna have to make a list - quantities and all.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Wegmans.... can't make the list, it might not fit in your truck. My mom will be up there sometime this month, too, working as an official for the Wegmans LPGA event.

R

rickc

We hit the Wegman's grocery store in Corning when we are up there. (Passing the one in Willliamsport just starts us thinking!) We have had good luck with their steaks! In fact, brought back some extras from our trip last week and had one on the grill last night! My wife loves the selection of foodstuffs and organics as well. I am convinced I could drop her off there for a day trip. Corning's store also has a deli/eatery in it as well. If only there were a good woodworking store in the area I could drop her off at Wegman's and spend the day in the WW store. We'd both come home happy!

M

McRabbet

I always bring back several packs of Tobin's White Hots because you can't get them anywhere else.

cptully

New User
Chris
Well,

I've yet to follow that route from NC to Rochester... But I've taken it starting in MD several times to visit a good friend in Bloomfield. Wish I was heading that way too!

Chris

Hook

New User
Gregory
Wow, I'm originally from Dansville, NY. Small world with all of us Yankees relocating down here. Have a safe trip.

You'd be a little young to know who my wife is - she grew up on Chestnut in Dansville, just at the bottom of the big hill, and around that corner. Small world. I actually rode my bicycle, as a teenager, from HF to Dansville to visit her one afternoon - that was back when I had the stamina to actually ride for more than a few miles.

Hook

New User
Gregory
Well,

I've yet to follow that route from NC to Rochester... But I've taken it starting in MD several times to visit a good friend in Bloomfield. Wish I was heading that way too!

Chris

I lived in Bloomfield (Rayburn Apartments) from 1988-1990 (back when it was still called Holcomb) and again from 1992-1995. I was actually on the Volunteer Ambulance squad and in the FD during my first go round in Bloomfield.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
If you have time and $$$ on your way back , off of 15 in Wellsboro,Pa is a specialty lumber company called Irion Lumber . http://www.irionlumber.com/
Great people to work with and some really beautiful woods. The are 'out in the country' a bit so I recommend calling them for directions.
Wellsboro is a small town and a great place to visit just south of the NY border.
I picked up some tiger maple there a few weeks ago. Resonable prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS