Harpsichord Project Part 22 - Bench Re-visited

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I’m in the middle of marbling the case but it will be a while before it’s finished. In the meantime, I thought I would take care of a few details on the bench that we built in Part 13. Here’s what it looked like at the end of construction.

After the decision was made to marble the case and use lid papers on the lid, it became obvious that the simply finished bench would be too plain for the instrument. So we’ll make the bench a bit more elaborate by using gold bands, papers, and medallions.

At this stage, the bench is only dry-fitted together so that I can use the lathe for sanding the finish on the legs. After masking off the mortises and tenons, the finish is applied using the same procedure that we used on the case. After several coats of paint have been applied and sanded, the gold bands are applied to the legs. To mask off the areas to be banded, thin strips of blue painter’s tape are used.

FINISHBENCH-1.JPG

Four very thin coats of gold are applied. After the gold banding, the bench is glued together. The next photo shows the bench as it stands now.

FINISHBENCH-2.JPG

Between the legs on all four sides is an unfinished area that will be papered. We prepare some strips of wood, ¾” high by 1/8” thick and pre-finish them with the same paint used on the bench. These strips are glued onto the bench leaving a 1 ¼” high space for the papers we will apply.

FINISHBENCH-3.JPG

The design of the papers we will use are in my computer. This allows me to resize the design to fit the available space. We will use the same size papers on the bench and on the stretchers of the instrument’s stand, so we’ll print enough to cover both areas. While most builders use these papers in their raw state (black ink on off white paper), I find these papers look too new and modern for use on a harpsichord. To get around this, I color the papers after they have been printed. Each strip gets a coat of Pecan oil stain followed by 2 coats of orange shellac. Then they’re rubbed with 4/0 steel wool which is followed by 2 additional coats of orange shellac. Then, a final rub-down with steel wool is followed by a sprayed-on coat of satin polyurethane. Here are the papers soon after printing. The one darkened strip has had one coat of pecan oil stain.

FINISHBENCH-4.JPG

After all of the finish is applied to the papers, they are cut apart into 1 ¼” strips using an e-xacto knife. Here’s what they look like.

FINISHBENCH-5.JPG

Next, the paper strips are glued into place using cold hide glue.

FINISHBENCH-6.JPG

The square section of unturned wood on the top of each leg will get a medallion glued to it. I found a suitably sized wooden medallion and made a rubber mold of it. (see Part 19)

FINISHBENCH-7.JPG

When we made the rose in Part 19, I neglected to mention a couple of important steps.
First, it’s a good idea to glue the wooden original to the bottom of the wooden tray that will be used in the casting. When the liquid plastic resin is poured into the mold, it may seep under the original and lift it – thereby ruining the mold. Secondly, the plastic resin that is used duplicates the model exactly, but is far too slick and shiny to take paint. To solve this problem, we’ll powder coat the casting by using ..... powder. We’ll spray a release agent onto the rubber mold and then sprinkle powder (I use Gold Bond body powder) onto the mold, completely covering it.

FINISHBENCH-8.JPG

A short burst of air from the compressor blows most of the powder away, but leaves a very thin powder layer which has adhered to the release agent. This is done before each casting (we need 8 of these medallions) and each cast comes out with a matte finish that accepts paint very well. The back side of each casting is smoothed and leveled by rubbing the casting on sandpaper glued to a flat wooden block.

FINISHBENCH-9.JPG

Then we sand the top of the casting with very fine paper (1000 or 1500 grit) to eliminate any nibs etc. Once done, we paint the castings. In the next photo, the medallion in the middle is the original wooden sample surrounded by castings painted gold.

FINISHBENCH-10.JPG

The castings are glued on using 5 minute epoxy. Tape holds the casting in position while the epoxy sets and provides enough clamping pressure to do the job.

FINISHBENCH-11.JPG

After all the medallions have been glued on, the bench is finished.

FINISHBENCH-12.JPG

FINISHBENCH-13.JPG

All of the incidental case parts have been finished. Next time we’ll marble the case and do some more papering. At the same time, we’ll finish and paper the stand. In a few weeks, we just might get some sounds out of this puppy. Thanks for following along.

Ernie

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ernie,

What Jeremy said. Thanks SO much for taking the time to document this process. These are truly works of art and your craftsmanship is second to none. :notworthy:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. Very, very impressive. When you put the picture of the unfinished bench next to the finished product, it's simply unbelievable.

Question - won't the bench be too slick to sit on? That surface looks so perfect the musician might make a VERY dramatic entry-and-exit all at once :) Or is that solved via a cloth runner.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Question - won't the bench be too slick to sit on? That surface looks so perfect the musician might make a VERY dramatic entry-and-exit all at once :smile: Or is that solved via a cloth runner. __________________
Bas.
In the next Part, we'll install the seat belt and shoulder harness.:icon_thum:icon_thum
Actually, the bench top is very smooth but not really slick. There's only 4 coats of paint on it and the final coat was sanded with 800 grit wet/dry paper and rubbed with an ultra-fine synthetic pad. It feels smooth but not slippery.
If anyone falls off of it, I hope I'm there to see it. :rotflm:
Ernie

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wow. Very, very impressive. When you put the picture of the unfinished bench next to the finished product, it's simply unbelievable.

Question - won't the bench be too slick to sit on? That surface looks so perfect the musician might make a VERY dramatic entry-and-exit all at once :) Or is that solved via a cloth runner.

Hey "the bas" I don't think Ernie has installed the seat belt yet :slap: :gar-La;

M

McRabbet

The bench looks great with its nice finish and glittering gold accents! Again, we really appreciate the details you attain and the clear descriptions you have provided throughout this series.

In Part 21, you said
Before we start, let me thank Thomas Lemmens, who has been following this series all the way from Belgium. Thomas was kind enough to consolidate many of these posts into a smaller number of PDF files and send them to me.
Is there any chance that you would be willing to upload those PDF files to the Download Library here so members can have a long term reference to this fantastic series of threads? As you may know, only members can download files from the Library, so any documents "stay in the family". If you need help, PM me as I am the "Librarian".

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Great detailing, Ernie, and a really innovative use of modern technology to achieve a result that is so classic. No one could ever imaging how you do this by looking at it. I know I couldn't!! :icon_scra:icon_scra Every week there's another pearl. Thanks so much for taking the time to document this.

Matt

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Beautiful bench Ernie, and another interesting chapter. Your work continues to amaze me. I do have a question. If the wooden medallion was available commercially, and I assume it was, why not buy eight ready made madallions rather than casting them.? Just curious. :dontknow:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Is there any chance that you would be willing to upload those PDF files to the Download Library here so members can have a long term reference to this fantastic series of threads? As you may know, only members can download files from the Library, so any documents "stay in the family". If you need help, PM me as I am the "Librarian".
Rob

I'd be happy to. When I get a chance I'll upload the pdf's he already sent and I'll upload any future pdf's as I get them.

Ernie,
This is sooooo amazing!
In a way, I hope it never ends :embaresse

Roger
Roger

Thanks so much! Sometimes it feels like you may get your wish.

Beautiful bench Ernie, and another interesting chapter. Your work continues to amaze me. I do have a question. If the wooden medallion was available commercially, and I assume it was, why not buy eight ready made madallions rather than casting them.? Just curious. :dontknow:
Stuart

As is the usual case, the BORG only had one 4-pack. When I find a medallion I like I usually make a mold of it because I usually can never find the same one again. This way I know I can use it on future instruments.

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful comments. The marbling of the case is going well - we'll talk again real soon.

Ernie

T

toolferone

Ernie that bench looks great! Is that the same heavy paper you used on the lettering above the keys? I would have nevery thought of staining and applying a finish to paper (yes I do know paper is made of wood). It is truely amazing work you are doing. Thanks again for documenting and posting your work.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Tom,

Yes it's the same 90lb. paper. To avoid seams, I order paper that comes in 30" x 44" sheets. It's about $3.00 a sheet but has a minimum of 10 sheets. Still, for $30.00 I have enough for 10 instruments - not bad. If you want to try some, here's a link. While thinner paper will work, it has two problems. First, the moisture in the glue (assuming you glue it to something) will cause the paper to wrinkle, bubble, and distort. Second, if you add finish to the paper before gluing it down (like I do), the stain will wick all the way through the paper and end up on the back side. Then the glue may or may not stick well. Thicker paper is much safer to use.

Thanks for staying with me - the end is in sight.

Ernie

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Ernie,
Forgive a stupid question - but why are you going to all the trouble to make molds of something you have? Is it because you only have one? I would think it would be easier to just use four of the originals - provided you can source them. I guess I have just answered my question ...
:gar-Bi

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie,
Forgive a stupid question - but why are you going to all the trouble to make molds of something you have? Is it because you only have one? I would think it would be easier to just use four of the originals - provided you can source them. I guess I have just answered my question ...
Drogar-BigGrin%28DBG%29.gif

MarK,

Bingo! That's exactly right. I needed 8 of them (2 on each corner) and could only find four. See Stuart's (TarHeel) question above. :gar-La;

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS