Guitar #2...Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris, keep posting, I'm finding the build very interesting. I also think you'll find that a lot more on this site find it interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Progress update...

20161105_090131.jpg

I installed a low profile 2-way truss rod and the headstock veneer.

20161106_105455.jpg

Rough shaped the heel..

20161106_114222.jpg

Jointed, joined and thicknessed the Sitka spruce soundboard. This is a AA grade top (lower grade) from StewMac.

20161106_114554.jpg

Re-sharpened for this job...didn't need any tearout.

20161106_191206.jpg

The braces...I planed them to approximate size and put on the correct radius.

20161105_114347 (1).jpg

20161106_115816.jpg

The soundboard cut to rough oversize shape....that's a nice tight joint. With that wide grain it's nearly impossible to see.

Attachments

• 20161105_114347.jpg
    20161105_114347.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 118

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
Chris,

Bracing needs to be much thinner...... (taller is better than fatter.....).... but still needs to be thinner than what your showing....... Suggest looking at sculpted bracing on the web....... attach some drawings if you haven't seen them..... this is where making a number of instruments and trial and error helps. Some are now drilling holes to lighten the structure of the brace.....and not distracting from the structural purpose of the brace.

kwdread_top_brace.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Chris,

Bracing needs to be much thinner...... (taller is better than fatter.....).... but still needs to be thinner than what your showing....... Suggest looking at sculpted bracing on the web....... attach some drawings if you haven't seen them..... this is where making a number of instruments and trial and error helps. Some are now drilling holes to lighten the structure of the brace.....and not distracting from the structural purpose of the brace.

kwView attachment 21279
Thanks...but I know. These are rough sized only. The thickness and height will conform to what Cumpiano suggests in his book...which I am using as a guide. I'll carve them after I attach them to the soundboard....again as Cumpiano suggests.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20161113_132740_001.jpg

Rosette installed and sound hole cut

20161114_141727.jpg

Bracing drawn out

20161114_163423.jpg

Go-bar deck made...Stewmac wanted $500 for their version. This one cost $65.

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
Chris,

Your probably tired of my suggestions........We have used the fiberglass rods and decided we really thought white oak strips worked better. If you insist on the fiberglass rods buy them from a kite company such as http://intothewind.com/ItemSearch--search-Fiberglass-Rod--srcin-1. One other suggestion is to make or borrow a sanding disk in the correct radius to lay your top in while you use the go board deck. When we make a violin we also use a dish / violin cradle ....for clarity showing what a violin cradle with radius looks like.

IMG_0957.jpgGoBar Glueup.jpg3_4 Go Bar 2.jpgMiddle Son Erick in Photo....wwkw[4].JPGLuthier 15 degree dish kwmw0010.JPG

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Nope...I appreciate your advice. For the time being I'll use the fiberglass rods....I bought around 10 driveway reflectors at Wally world for $2 apiece and cut them in half. Picked up some thread protectors from big blue box for the ends. Came out good.

I've experimented and they'll do fine for now. I'll look at the oak ...seems like I've seen that done on the net.

As for the radius dish...thought about it. I have the edges of my assembly board raised 3/32 around the rim for this purpose. Should be enough for the soundboard...not sure about the back but we'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20161117_181258.jpg

Soundboard bracing done...Just a little trimming and a few spots that need a little 220. I remade all the braces out of cedar to match the rest of guitar.

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
Chris,

One thing we started doing after number 50 was coating the inside with a very thin coat of shellac (top, back, sides prior to assembly)....... you will find pro's and con's in doing this..... if you where to ask for a general consensus you get all kinds of opinions.... I built reproduction furniture prior to guitars and always coated the inside of each piece with some kind of sealer and found that it helped tremendously with wood movement. My thinking for the guitars is humidity changes occur less quickly if a piece is sealed on all sides and especially with the materials being so thin........we couldn't determine a change in the sound of the instrument when we sealed the inside both by ear hearing and electron measuring instruments. All the old masters for years have put something on the violins.

We actually had less top failures when we did this and the tops showed less age when we did this. It also makes glue cleanup a little easier if you happen to drop a little where it shouldn't be when you put top and back to sides. (don't forget ...Be sure to tape where you have glue joints so as not to have to cut or sand, sealer away and you have raw wood for glue joints..... if you do decide to seal ...... don't ask how I know....)

Just a thought.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I had considered doing just that. I picked up a rattle can of zinzzer shellac at wally world. Jury is still out...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Made the neck block and cutting the mortise...

20161118_112506.jpg

20161118_112718.jpg

It came out a tight joint...

20161119_152733.jpg

Sides trimmed to rough size...had to spend a few minutes on the iron to tighten up the upper bouts.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20161124_105709.jpg

Gluing the sides...

20161124_164402.jpg

All glued up...

20161124_182959.jpg

Ready to shape the sides.. body shimmed and clamped at neck block and shoe installed.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20161203_145408.jpg

Glued down extra feet over the brace ends and notched out the kerfing for the back braces.

20161203_163255.jpg

Gluing the back. I have two more rubber bands but I couldn't find them.... So I supplemented with a few clamps.

Drew

Drew Goodson
User
This thread is one of the best this year! I'm excited to see the finished product. Please keep the posts coming.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20161204_171155.jpg

Ready for the end graft...just scored the lines and chiselled out the waste. That juniper is really soft...tough to work even with a really sharp chisel.

If you don't have a twin screw Moxon vise you really don't know what you’re missing...

20161204_172820.jpg

Cherry wedge cut (wet with a little alcohol) ....still needs a little tuning.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I finally got to do a little work on the guitar today. I glued in the end graft....that's it. I really need to get busy.

20161225_214401.jpg

That cedar is so soft...it wants to chip at every edge. I have a few places to fix... a little sanding/scraping should do the trick. One or two spots might require an actual repair but nothing too serious.

I started sizing the binding today also but I need a different bearing(s) for my rabbeting bit before I can cut the channel.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I finally got to do a little work on the guitar today. I glued in the end graft....that's it. I really need to get busy.

View attachment 21826

That cedar is so soft...it wants to chip at every edge. I have a few places to fix... a little sanding/scraping should do the trick. One or two spots might require an actual repair but nothing too serious.

I started sizing the binding today also but I need a different bearing(s) for my rabbeting bit before I can cut the channel.

Maybe try scoring the line deeply with a razor knife first - This seems to work really well for me for avoiding chipout.

BTW great WIP thread i check in from time to time and see how things are coming along. If people only knew how many hours go into building a guitar they would be amazed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS