Guitar #2...Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That's pretty standard from what I've seen...but it is somewhat variable. Cumpiano says 15 degrees in his book.

Wow ok... must be a big differnce is small guage 6 string guitar strings vs larger guage bass strings - IDK...

Heres my stardard - its like 6 degrees and works well for cutting the neck laminates out of a full 8/4 eough cut boards. No scarf joint needed, they are full solid laminates.

I don't really even care if the laminates are aligned very well, after the glue dries i run the neck over the jointer to clean and sguare the face to the sides. Easy smezy -:lol

If i recall correctly i think this neck is 5 laminates.

EB1 07 Nov 2013 2.jpg

Last edited:

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
Necks typically are 9-20 degree....... any angle smaller often causes string vibration at various frets as well as sometimes intonation problems ........ and possible driver problems from neck string vibration to the sound box...... neck angle on violin's are even greater.

24.9 Acoustic Guitara Neck.jpgAcoustic Bass Neck.jpgF5 Mando Neck.jpgLPNeck.jpgViolin Neck.jpgKLRTPW6801205.JPG

Attachments

• ELWk86.JPG
    ELWk86.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 114

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Necks typically are 9-20 degree....... any angle smaller often causes string vibration at various frets as well as sometimes intonation problems ........ and possible driver problems from neck string vibration to the sound box...... neck angle on violin's are even greater.

View attachment 21127View attachment 21128View attachment 21129View attachment 21130View attachment 21132View attachment 21133

Guess i have dumb luck. But i dont understand how string vibration problems at various frets could occur in anything but the open position - the greatest viberation would occurr at around 1/2 the scale length so if you pluck a open string to hard - it will rattle on the frets around the 15th fret. Ive also not experinced any intonation problems - as i wind the srings on the machine heads from the top down so they seat solidly in the nut slots.

Im really liking this thread - learning a ton already. Thanks for posting...

Where arw you guys coming.up with the computer drawings?

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
We have actually drawn all of these......... we started out making full guitars, mandolin, bass, ukulele, violin etc...... and soon found that there wasn't a lot of money to be made with the Chinese influx of instruments .... we hit on the idea of making parts, pieces, templates, etc........ We already had CNC's and laser's but to use them we had to produce our own drawings.......... Machine can't make what you can't draw......so what you see is about 5 draftsmen including myself drawing for about 10 years....... we made the decision about a year ago to phase out of the business..... have one part-time employ and are still selling inventory and making templates ( still have huge amounts of inventory) but my two sons and myself have returned to General Contraction our actual trade.......two sons had young families and there was just not enough money to remain full time......... my intent originally was to supplement my sons income when the building business cycled up and down.....(got in the instrument business because I had been building reproduction furniture for a hobby for more than 35 years when we started and already had two very large shops.... tools are my weakness)

If we can share some of what we learned glad to do so.....

Blessings,

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Slow day today..

20161022_101525.jpg

Rough finished neck blank....

20161022_101537.jpg

The headstock is a touch off...but not as bad as the pic makes it look. I'm sure by the time I finish shaping it will not be noticeable.

Since I don't have my truss rod yet I'm at a standstill on the neck. So I addressed a few other issues...

20161022_120843.jpg

Had a knot fall out of one of the sides...no big deal.

20161022_121827.jpg
Cut a patch for the inside...

20161022_131003.jpg

Glue...

20161022_174232.jpg

Make a patch for the hole...this one shifted a touch under the clamp but no worries. Glue...I used TB and cedar sawdust (and a little TB and walnut dust for some "knot" color) to fill the gaps. A brown sharpie and it will blend right in.

20161022_175802.jpg

Split some spruce/fir for braces. I used the remnants of the 2x6 guitar material. It split nicely. I tossed the pieces with any runout.

Should work just fine.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I worked on a old peavey foundation today. There ia no back angle on the peg head at all it's actually about a 1/2" step down from the nut. I measured the angle of the strings @ 5 degrees. Only the D & G strings have a retainer and still the angle of those strings are about 5 degrees.

IMG_20161022_155625.jpg

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I worked on a old peavey foundation today. There ia no back angle on the peg head at all it's actually about a 1/2" step down from the nut. I measured the angle of the strings @ 5 degrees. Only the D & G strings have a retainer and still the angle of those strings are about 5 degrees.

View attachment 21144

I'm suprised that the angles would be so different....guess I need to read up for curiosity's sake.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Truing up the bracing material that I split yesterday...

20161023_130315.jpg

20161023_142622.jpg

It doesn't need to be square at this point...close will do.

Got a few more to go...

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I also spent a little time filling the dents, holes and tearout on the sides. I used a little trick I picked up online...CA glue.

20161023_172113.jpg

Bad tearout around this knot....put on a little CA glue and sand (I used 150 grit).

20161023_172143.jpg

This one was worse....nice and smooth now. Will look even better once final prep is done.

20161023_172206.jpg

Nice and smooth...

obxdiver

New User
Bart
15 degrees is huge... way more than i think i would go... i think you only need enough to ensure the strings sit firmly in the nut slots don't you?

They're electrics, but the Jackson and Washburn I had handy both use 15 degrees, and they have Floyd Rose locking nuts! Pulled the Washburn acoustic out of the closet, and it's 15 degrees as well.

Been years since I played one, but seems I remember Strats having a flatter angle. I think that's their attempt to keep the strings from hanging up in the nut when you use the non locking tremolo, though.

Couldn't tell you much about a bass other than the neck's too long and the strings are too fat. :D

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Making the plates for the back... I'm running out of sharp planes.
Need to schedule some sharpening..

20161024_142757.jpg

20161024_152704.jpg

Two down.... One to go.

20161024_152909.jpg

More shavings.... It's a good cardio workout.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Edge jointing the back plates. In retrospect, I probably should have done this before planing them down to .200's. Or at least gotten them close.
It takes a steady hand, really light pressure and a razor sharp plane to get a good edge with such a thin plate.....and stay at 90 degrees.

20161025_155728.jpg

20161025_155730.jpg

No gaps here...none when I candled them either.

20161025_165743.jpg

That's a good joint..

20161025_175731.jpg

The back...almost ready for glue.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Joining the plates...

20161026_165657.jpg

Nice little gluing jig.

20161026_171249.jpg

Lay it out and fit your shims before you glue...

20161026_172028.jpg

A little weight on the plates keeps them from buckling.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
20161027_193525.jpg

That's going to be a beautiful back. It's about .150...a touch thinner in a spot or two but nothing to get in a twist about.

I need to run my favorite #4's iron over the extra fine DMT diamond stone and strop before I smooth it down to about .120 or so.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Ripped the binding strips down .....

20161029_105926.jpg

Then started on making the rosette..cherry also.

20161029_114735.jpg

Layout...used two pair of dividers to set the rough angle.

20161029_114732.jpg

Made a key to mark the pieces to be cut.

20161029_114725.jpg

Cut them with my Veritas dovetail saw on the bench.

20161029_130214.jpg

Dry fit...had to adjust the angle a bit.

20161029_140710.jpg

All glued up....used thin viscosity CA glue. The small shim was used to completely close the circle...It'll be hidden under the fretboard and will not be seen.

It's supposed to look like a sunburst...we'll see when I get it cut to size.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I get the feeling I've over-posted....so I'll quit here.

If anybody wants more info just send me a PM and I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris, I wouldn't say you are over-posting. Your comments along with the photos are telling us your build process. However, if you got that feeling because you are not seeing more comments it may because of the weekend (KE was going on this weekend).

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Chris, I wouldn't say you are over-posting. Your comments along with the photos are telling us your build process. However, if you got that feeling because you are not seeing more comments it may because of the weekend (KE was going on this weekend).

It's not that....just a comment a friend made last night that set me to thinking about things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS