Group Library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
As I embark down the dark twisted spinny spiral of doom, I am interested in reading or browsing some turning books and DVD's. I also realized that I have a few of my own good reference books and DVD's that are collecting dust. Could we set up a virtual library on the site that lists what books and DVD's members have that they are willing to loan out? The site could possibly keep track of who requests or has which books? Does this sound like something the board wants to take on? If not, we may be able to set something up informally...

Anyone else have thoughts or ideas on this? :dontknow:

Last edited by a moderator:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Copyright laws come to mind to me. Infringement is a serious offense. We would have to be very careful not to violate copyright laws. Other than that, a good idea.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Copyright laws come to mind to me. Infringement is a serious offense. We would have to be very careful not to violate copyright laws. Other than that, a good idea.

I don't think that loaning books among members would violate any copyright laws. Now if they were scanned and put on the site for download, that would be a different story.

George

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Tim ... I've got some books and stuff you can borrow, if you want. Just give me a PM and we can figure it out.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I don't remember all the details but we had talked about this before. The real problem turned out to be coordination and someone willing to take on the responsibility/

However, now that we are non-profit, such an idea would at least be within our educational charter.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I don't remember all the details but we had talked about this before. The real problem turned out to be coordination and someone willing to take on the responsibility/

However, now that we are non-profit, such an idea would at least be within our educational charter.

Steve is correct. Also lending hard copies does not violate copyright law.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
tim this is one benefit of being part of a local woodworking association.

i invite you to visit the Charlotte Woodworkers Association meetings.

CWA has a good library such as you're looking for open for members to check out of.

Dues are about the price of (2) good books $ 35 a year I think.

Next meeting is Tuesday the 15th.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I think the library idea is excellent, but who is held responsible when a book is not returned? The borrower should be accountable, but who hasn't lent something to a neighbor and never seen it returned? Maybe a library fund that would require participants to pay annual dues that would cover to cost of lost or damaged books (kind of like an insurance program). That would require a good bit of coordination and commitment to control though.

Just some random thoughts. End of year contributions that are left over could go to the general fund.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2)

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I have many, many woodworking books, VHS, and DVDs and would love to lend them out...if I were sure of getting them back in good shape. I see this as a problem especially because our group is so spread out. I also have 2 five-drawer cabinets of woodworking magazines. I take every magazine (except ShopNotes), tear out the articles (scanning and printing when I want both sides of a page), and file the articles in hanging folders by subject. I don't know of what use this would be to others in a group, though.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS