Glenbear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jon,
Keep in mind this is coming from a newbie moderator, but I didn't feel that the thread was political. I felt like it was supporting the way our government function and supporting our new president. I guess it could've gone south. Maybe it is good to phrase it as "All political threads are forbidden and even though this one was started with good intentions, the possibility for things to get hairy was very strong".

But that's just MTCW.

Dang this moderating stuff requires a little thought. I wasn't warned about that before hand ;-)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Jon, thanks for stepping up and doing what was needed. According to site policy, political threads are not within guidelines. Was it ugly? not at the point that you soft deleted it, but I watched the forums all day for someone to post this kind of thread. It would have gone the wrong way too quickly. I personally think it was a good call.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I agree with the call Jon. Although the tread was started with patriotic intent, it is the potential of a "political" thread to spin out of control that requires us to enforce the policy. For many people, today was not the celebration it was for others. It would not have taken much to get the fire stoked. Just my thoughts...

TracyP

Tracy
I agree with the call Jon. Although the tread was started with patriotic intent, it is the potential of a "political" thread to spin out of control that requires us to enforce the policy. For many people, today was not the celebration it was for others. It would not have taken much to get the fire stoked. Just my thoughts...

Wow, I knew you would make an unbiased staff member:thumbs_up.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I could go either way. IMHO Glenn's intent was good. He was remarking on history and not being political. With that said, clearing this one could have gone south in a hurray.

Jon as a Mod you have to go with your gut. You did just that. TY. I do not think we need to restore the thread. it is done. I think you should go back to Glenn so he know it was the potential issues that triggered our actions. I will PM him if you would like.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have spoken with Glenn and he seems to understand. What he posted was not wrong, but the way it could be interpreted and folk's opinions on the subject could very easily be.
Personally I would have let it ride a little longer, it could have been fine, or not. But I don't have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to these things. I appreciate any and all participation on this site and don't want to quell it with heavy handed censorship.
What's done is done, and life will go on.

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just posted my 2000 post on a Moderator issue. I feel good about that.

Dave, thank you for talking with Glenn. Jon, thank you again for jumping on this. You guys are great.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm late in this, but it was a good move to delete it. I thought it was a very good and 'innocent' post, and everyone's replies were civilized. But, it can turn sour at any minute.

I think it's really important to tell people that when we moderate threads, it's often not what was written but what might be written. Ounce of prevention etc. I think that will help people understand.

So, kudo's all round. And I'll stop now before we wrench our shoulders out of our sockets patting ourselves on the back :)

TracyP

Tracy
I'm late in this, but it was a good move to delete it. I thought it was a very good and 'innocent' post, and everyone's replies were civilized. But, it can turn sour at any minute.

I think it's really important to tell people that when we moderate threads, it's often not what was written but what might be written. Ounce of prevention etc. I think that will help people understand.

So, kudo's all round. And I'll stop now before we wrench our shoulders out of our sockets patting ourselves on the back :)

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:to the last sentence.

cskipper

Cathy
Jon, FWIW, I moderated one of his posts awhile back. It too was written with the best of intentions, but also had such potential for going south. I told him that. He was disappointed that others would probably do just that, but understood the potential.

I agree with your decision to put this in moderation and asking for opinions. Good call.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I saw it earlier in the day and thought it was a very neutral post, but the little voice in my head said it could go South in a hurry. I would have let it ride a little longer, but as Scott says you have to go with your gut. Jon you did well by nipping it before it did get out of hand.

cskipper

Cathy
I just posted my 2000 post on a Moderator issue. I feel good about that.

Dave, thank you for talking with Glenn. Jon, thank you again for jumping on this. You guys are great.

Congrats on the 2000 posts!! You have added a lot to this group and I appreciate you!:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors