Gift for my daughter and son in-law

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
It took me a while to unload the camera but here are a couple pictures of a gift box I made for my daughter and son in-law. The wood is spalted maple from the August wood run. I finished with BLO and then 4 coats of wipe on poly.

Attachments

• K and M top.jpg
    K and M top.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 199
  • K and M box.jpg
    K and M box.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 200

ebarr

New User
Wayne
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That is very nice!

Any hints on the construction?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Awesome figure in the wood, that looks great. The only way I could write someone's name in wood is if he or she were called "Oooo" (I'm not accurate, but the drill press is :))

So, do you make the box first, then do the scrolling? Or scrolling first, then make the box?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Man, Scott you got the heart thing rockin'. It ain't even Valentines Day and you've already inspired me....to get something nice from you :-D:-D

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That is very nice!

Any hints on the construction?

The construction is rather simple. The lid is a simple but effective lift off. The lid and box are each made from 2 pieces of wood. The wood came from a 8/4 soft maple board which I resawed a roughly 1/4 inch board off of.

For the box I cut the inside shape out first. The box is about 1.5 inches high. Then I glued on the piece for the bottom. After drying I cut the outside shape.

For the lid lip I also cut the inside of the lip shape out first. Then I cut a slightly oversized version of the top. After that I cut the names and design into the top. Finally glued up the 2 piece for the lid and cut the outside.

Except for the glue ups and finshing you could make one in less then 2 hours no problem.

J

jeff...

really nice :icon_thum I still remember you asking for the nastiest board in the load - you sure did make that nasty board into something nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS