Funky Cedar pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
While working on my end tables I thought I would work on something that I could actually hope to complete, so I turned a pen :roll:
This is out of the funky Cedar stock that Jeff found. You can see it in it's raw state in this thread http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8809
This blank was cross cut from the center of the funkiness and was a PITA to turn. It got several liberal doses of thin CA to keep it together, but it was worth it. Unfortunately the pictures don't show the color variegation and the way it sparkles in the light very well, but it was the best shots I could get.

Copy_of_Pens_400.jpg

Copy_of_Pens_399.jpg

Thanks Jeff for the wood and bringing me the joy of finding out what was inside of it :eusa_danc :eusa_danc .

Dave:)

J

jeff...

That don't look nothing like the wood I sent. You sure you grabbed the right peice, it's a nice pen though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It sure does in person. You can see where the black line is, with the wild grain radiating out from it. My pictures aren't that good. Of course it is a lot smaller, rounder and shinier than what you sent me, but it is from that piece.
Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Nothing to say but GREAT!.
A tip I have found useful on glue ups that may also help with dfficult woods such as this.
Regardless of what adhesive you use to bonf the tubes, try drilling a "blind hole for the tubes.
After drilling pour some CA in the hole of the first blank and put a piece of clear packing tape over the hole and support the blank between your thumb and index finger and revolve it to coat the inside of the tube.("stabiliazing it from the inside")
Put a spring clamp on it and set it a aside .
Drill the second blanks and using the same process as the first blank pour the CA into the second blank.
Spray accelerant into the first blank and ream out with the same bit you drilled the blank with to begin with.
Repeat the same process for the seconb blank.
You can pour the Ca on the outside of the first blank after it has been tubed and milled to stabilize it.
tube the second.
MOst blow outs occur from inadequate glue coverage.
The "plastic coating" in the hole helps to alleviate that.

JohnW

New User
John
Dave, your pen & wood is purdy...real purdy,,,,:icon_thum ...BUT

Does anyone else see that monkey in the 2nd pic just laughing away??

I've had a long day and it could be the heat...but I see a monkey8-O 8-O

J

jeff...

Dave, your pen & wood is purdy...real purdy,,,,:icon_thum ...BUT

Does anyone else see that monkey in the 2nd pic just laughing away??

I've had a long day and it could be the heat...but I see a monkey8-O 8-O

I seen that to, almost looks like a clown or a monkey. I didn't want to say anything till someone else spotted it. I even brightened the picture for a better look - it's a laughing face and I also see another face a little lower on the barrel that looks like a mummy. You have to admitt Dave turns some unique pens. Dave you really should rename this pen to something more approprate like freaky instead of funky.

Attachments

• Copy_of_Pens_399_bright.jpg
    Copy_of_Pens_399_bright.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 151

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great looking pen Dave. I didn't know cedar could look that cool. And I've been spending big money for Red Mallee and other exotics to get that look...

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Another WOW from me too. :eusa_clap You guys are amazing. The quality of projects and information from this forum is nothing but astonishing.
Thank you all for sharing.

J

jeff...

Got one more pen blank left - with strange grain. Who knows if it'll catch a face or not, but it'll be unique thats for sure.

I'm thinking of one number between 1 and 10. First to guess the number gets the chunk of ERC with the weird grain free, shipping included. I'll mail it to you (any where in the continental USA). Please only one number guess per person.

Heres a few pics of the 1x8 ERC with funky grain.

Sorry Dave didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, but it's cool to see what our members do with this kinda stuff...

Thanks

Attachments

• P6183233.jpg
    P6183233.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 151
  • P6183234.jpg
    P6183234.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 138

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Jeff...havent' you realized by now that you cannot turn a sirloin steak into a pen...especially with the bone still in it!
:rotflm:

Chris

Gary G

New User
Gary
That's one of the darkest aromatic cedar pens I've seen. Looks pretty cool albeit the photo is a little off -- you could try "unsharpening" it -- I know that's counterintuitive but I usually get more realistic output that way.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS