Free Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

I got one of those standing in my yard, think we measured it a little over 5' in diameter. Figured it's been here a good long time and it will stay on the stump a good long time more.

You might want to talk to Randy he operates a crane and is right close by ;-)

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Robert, thanks for sharing this info. I've been in contact with the owner and may end up getting the logs from this tree. Right now he's exploring every avenue to save it (it was recently struck by lightning).

It appears that the main trunk is 60" diameter and 18' tall, and then it necks down to 40" or so for another 10'. That's darn near 30,000lbs of trunk!

Ought to be interesting, to say the least. If I get it, I may have to break down and get a dedicated slabber for the mill - sure would be nice to have some 60" white oak slabs (but it sure WONT be nice handling them!).

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
If I get it, I'll probably try to quartersaw as much as I can, and perhaps do a few slabs. The key question will be how extensive the wood cells are damaged where the lightning struck it and the orientation of the struck wood versus the milled wood.

Mike - do you have any advice?

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'd like to take a moment to update this thread.

Last August (8 months ago) Robert Arrowood started this string by posting some information about a rather large oak tree in Monroe, NC that was damaged and had to be removed. Because of his thoughtfullness, I was able to make contact with the owner - Rchard Price - and he and I have maintained a running dialog ever since. Richard is a super nice fellow, and he did not want to see the wood wasted, but rather recycled and reused.

Richard lives in the old section of downtown Monroe, and his entire neighborhood is populated with very old, and very large oak trees. Unfortunately, one of his trees (a red oak) took a lightning strike last summer, and it looked like it had to come down. As you can imagine, he really regretted losing the tree, and did not want to remove it until he was sure that it would not recover.

About a month ago a tree service came in and topped the tree, and last weekend I met up with the tree service and a crane service to bring down the rest of the trunk.

The main section of the trunk is 54" in diameter, 16' long, weighs approximately 8 tons, and contains close to 2,500 board feet of lumber in it. The log is now gracing my woodlot, and I look forward to milling it into quartersawn oak soon.

Here are a couple of photo's - the first of the tree right after it took the lightning strike and the second is of the log at my farm. That's Richard's wife in the first photo - she's 5'7" tall...

Many thanks to Robert Arrowood for posting the original thread. I really enjoy milling the large logs, and it will be fun pulling some 20" quartersawn boards out of this log.

Scott

Ps: in the background of the photo with the log is the old farmhouse that I’ve been remodeling this year.

Monroe_tree1_a.jpg

Scott_monroe_log_2.jpg

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another NCWWer Win/Win!
Good stuff Robert and Scott. And kudos to a family that appreciates the value of their oak :thumbsup:

BTW Scott, aren't you close the the railroad tracks? Ever consider a choo choo and a spur onto your property :rolf:

Roger

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Scott, I don't recall you being such a little 'feller when we met. I guess that means that IS ONE BIG MASSIVE TREE!

I can see how handling the slabs isn't going to be easy. But it should be a boatload of fun. Any plans for using that oak?

(BTW - looks like the remodelling is going well)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Scott, are you gonna park that next to the other monster Oak logs you have (the ones I saw last time I was out there)? You better start milling soon, or you'll be up to your ears in logs. When you do let me know I really would like to help/watch/drool excessively.
Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott, don't forget your scrolling friends. Let's see cutting 1/2" thick boards for us would be rough 4,500 feet of scrollable material.

WOW:gar-Bi

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Good score Scott:icon_thum. I'm like DaveO I would like to drool I mean watch,help too. Dude thats one BIG toothpick:gar-La;.I'm just glad to see that one of "our" family got it. Thats going to make alot of NCWWers happy:eusa_clap.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'm probably around 60 - 90 days or so away from milling it. I broke ground last week on a building to house all of my wood processing equipment (except for the sawmill and kiln). The footprint will work out to be around 3,500 square feet.

As soon as it's finished, I'll break in the equipment on the wood that I need to complete the interior of the old farmhouse project. Some of this is maple and sycamore from Jeff (downstairs wainscotting and upstairs v-groove ceiling boards respectively), and some is very wide plank quarter and rift sawn oak for the flooring. Once I have that behind me, then I'll move on to milling and drying the numerous oak logs that I've been accumulating.

I'm planning to set up my personal woodworking equipment in one corner of the new building; that way I can reclaim my garage for the bikes!

I'll be glad to let y'all know before I start milling. Off-bearers are always welcome!

Scott

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Let's see, my project list:

Cabinet for bird cage
Outfeed table
Saw blade storage
Dog bed
Redo part of the DC ductwork

Scott's project list:
Build two new barns
Install 326 pieces of woodworking machinery
Restore an old farmhouse
Mill 8 gigantic trees into 40,000 bdft of lumber
Build an air strip
Lower the Himalayan Mountains by 80ft (blocking the view)

Suddenly I don't feel so tired anymore :)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Let's see, my project list:

Cabinet for bird cage
Outfeed table
Saw blade storage
Dog bed
Redo part of the DC ductwork

Scott's project list:
Build two new barns
Install 326 pieces of woodworking machinery
Restore an old farmhouse
Mill 8 gigantic trees into 40,000 bdft of lumber
Build an air strip
Lower the Himalayan Mountains by 80ft (blocking the view)

Suddenly I don't feel so tired anymore :)
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
If I get it, I'll probably try to quartersaw as much as I can, and perhaps do a few slabs. The key question will be how extensive the wood cells are damaged where the lightning struck it and the orientation of the struck wood versus the milled wood.

Mike - do you have any advice?

Scott

Man I got excited for a moment and then it all fadded away. I thought that someone was giving away free oak, not a free oak tree....:rotflm:

Anyway, You wouldn't happen to be selling that there oak wood when the time comes, aaa... Drouling....:eek::eek::eek: Aaaa would ya? Man I wish I had the equipment to do that myself, and get free trees, I would be making everything out of wood. Or maybe I would be to tired from doing that all day long:icon_scra:icon_scra.... Naaa:rotflm::gar-Bi

Have a great weekend and Great Catch by the way. You Are due on the "You Suck" scale..... What do we have..... A new world record on the "You Suck" Scale..... No way... :icon_chee :icon_chee :icon_chee :icon_chee It's Good!!!

Matthew & Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

PS I could build you some wonderful sounding speakers with that wood, in payment with wood... Ha ha ha:gar-Bi No really I am serious :cool:

They would like like this...... he he he
kleinhorn.jpg

:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm::gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS