Free Oak

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Check the date of the first post. Got my attention too!

Oh thats perfect, then....I mean it's had plenty of time to dry since 8-8-2007..... When can we come and buy some of that there Oak wood?:gar-Bi

Have a great one guys,

Matthew

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Matthew,

What kind of speakers are those? Look's like they gave some Klipsch La Scalas some steroids and growth hormones:gar-Bi

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Matthew, thanks for your interest in some oak. Yes, I plan on selling it after milling and kiln drying. I should be able to produce quartersawn boards up to 20" wide (with a lot of 8 - 10" boards). I also plan to resaw some of the most figured boards into veneer - probably .3/16" thick or therabouts.

I'll have the ability to sell S4S, S2S, rough, or custom milled (I have a 4 head moulder).

As I get closer to putting the quartersawn oak business in operation, I'll update the thread.

Regards,

Scott

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matthew,

What kind of speakers are those? Look's like they gave some Klipsch La Scalas some steroids and growth hormones:gar-Bi
Hey Tarhead,

Are you talking about the KleinHorns? The huge ones with one speaker or the ones I built, black with dark oak on top?:gar-Bi Well the Kleinhorns are amazing, here is the first and second article about the speakers and the builder:
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn.pdf &
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn2.pdf
and here is the site I found them on http://www.passdiy.com/speakers.htm

It's some good reading if your into Building speakers and understanding sound waves, FS and so forth. Check it out!

Have a great one,

Matthew & Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matthew, thanks for your interest in some oak. Yes, I plan on selling it after milling and kiln drying. I should be able to produce quartersawn boards up to 20" wide (with a lot of 8 - 10" boards). I also plan to resaw some of the most figured boards into veneer - probably .3/16" thick or therabouts.

I'll have the ability to sell S4S, S2S, rough, or custom milled (I have a 4 head moulder).

As I get closer to putting the quartersawn oak business in operation, I'll update the thread.

Regards,

Scott

Wow thats Awesome,

I'm glad that you will be selling some of the oak... What is your price per board foot? I am sure it's cheaper than klingspors or any other place around???:gar-Bi

Well I will be looking forward to seeing the thread of the Oak for sale from you. And maybe we can work out a deal where I build you a set of tower speaker boxes, with a great crossover and a nice set of speakers for the box out of the oak in trade for Oak?

Have fun, Or do something Else,

Matthew & Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Hey Scott!

I'll be happy to dry that oak for you in my Solar Kiln! The way I figure it, if you hold the boards to 12' lengths, (Hmm, 800 bf per charge X MC X drying time X sunny days vs. cloudy) I should have it ready for you by 2012!!! LATE 2012!!
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:
Great Score, Good Luck.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Matthew, I'll figure out a price when it's time to sell. Most likely, it will be based upon width and figure. I'll let you know about the speakers; right now I'm in pretty good shape but the new shop is going to need something... BTW, those large speakers in your avatar really look cool!

Personally, I really like large boards, and I hope to be able to produce a lot of 10" - 20" QS oak. I'll play around with some other sawing patterns as well to see how the figure comes out. Large diameter logs w/o much ray flect may end up being RS instead of QS - will just have to see what the market is interested in.

Reggie, you can dry for me any time! (but it may slow your cypress cycle time down a bit...:gar-Bi

Roger - I forgot to respond to your question about the RR tracks. Part of my farm is adjacent to some CSX tracks, and another part of the farm adjoins the New Hope Valley Railroad Museum tracks. Unfortunately, the NHVRY tracks are isolated... (don't intersect with any other RR tracks).

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Travis, believe it or not, the tree is only 77 years old. There was a city water main nearby though; I'm theorizing that it may have leaked for a number of years.

Scott

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is pretty hard to believe, but I expect you are right about the water leakage. I bet the growth rings are spread as far apart as a lot of the yellow pine boards you get today.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Play with this: For every 1000 bf of lumber in that tree, there is over a ton of water. So, Scott hauled a LOT of water home to get the wood! And now he will "evaporate" even more of that water in his kiln to get those nice boards!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Scott,

I am looking forward to seeing the back forty one day, and when you finally start selling I'll be one of your customers. You'll probably be my closest sawyer:eusa_danc.

I hope everything is going well so far.

Godspeed,
Jimmy:)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hey Jimmy, thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to adding you to the customer list.

Re the back 40, I was out there just the other day... had to sight in a couple of rifles. Nothing like popping a few caps to relieve stress!

Take care, and have a great time at the picnic. I'll be thinking of y'all from Louisville...

Scott

J

jeff...

Man that's one big RO butt - 16,000lbs worth, 2500 BF Nice score Scott - that thing will make a man out of you - I know it would me :eek:ccasion1

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matthew, I'll figure out a price when it's time to sell. Most likely, it will be based upon width and figure. I'll let you know about the speakers; right now I'm in pretty good shape but the new shop is going to need something... BTW, those large speakers in your avatar really look cool!

Scott, I am glad you like the Speakers in my avatar, I built those in Okinawa out of 3/4" MDF on the inside and 3/4" red oak plywood and 3/4" real red oak on the outside. The sound is amazing and 1 of them can fill up a room close to 2000 sq feet. Here is a picture of one of my speakers at my work in Okinawa on a home made cart, it filled up the whole area very easily. So a set of these would look and sound great in your new shop! :gar-Bi :rotflm: I sure am a funny guy!

Welp have a good one, I know I will !!!:gar-Bi

Matthew & Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

PS my wife helps me with the sanding. :icon_chee :icon_thum :eusa_clap :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS