found a HUGE burl, now what?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oderus1671

New User
chris
Hey guys, I was walking in the back section of the property, and found what I think is a HUGE chunk of burl in one of our trees. Im not sure what the tree is, but it may be a cottonwood tree. Its in a swampy part of the lot. the leaves are just starting to open up, and they look like a simple oval shaped leaf. The burl is about 3-4 feet in diameter, approximately 6 feet from the base, and then there are a couple more smaller chunks as you go up the tree. My question is, If I can saw the tree down, what do I need to do to preserve the burl? Im not sure what I will do with it, wether I use it for a tabletop or something, or maybe just sell it, either way, is there a special lumber mill on the coastal area that is capable of "slabbing" burls like this? BTW, I will post some pics of it as soon as I get home tonite. Thanks!

dozer

Mike
I would recommend cutting the whole burl from the tree once it is down, leave the bark on the burl and seal the exposed side with some anchor seal of similar product. Or you can just drop it off at my shop I'll find a use for the burl :lol: :lol:

oderus1671

New User
chris
here it is in all its woody glory!:eusa_danc actually, the leaves you see in the pic are not the leaves on the tree. thats all underbrush.

Attachments

• burl resized.jpg
    burl resized.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, that sure looks like burl to me. You can make out the crinnilations in the upper ones. If you can manage the pieces I would try to leave a little of the trunk attached above and below the burl and seal the cut end with Anchorseal, that way if you do get any checking it might not be in the burl itself. Plus it's hard to tell how deep into the trunk the burl grow goes. It would be good to start slicing the truck from the opposite side until you reach the burl figure and then slab it out and Anchorseal every bit of the burl slabs.
Do the leaves look like this?
cwdleaf.jpg

Dave:)

J

jeff...

Looks rather interesting, even though I can not tell what kind of tree that is by the picture. Can I slice it up, Im really curious what's inside there.

Thanks

oderus1671

New User
chris
thanks for the replies, the leaves look a lot 'simpler' than the one you posted. I mean simpler by they appear to be oval in shape, no 'teeth' on the edges. Its kinda hard to tell, as the leaves are about 40' in the air!:lol::BangHead:I will try to put a better resolution pic in my album a bit later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors