Food safe finish for hot foods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Anyone know if any of the "food safe" finishes are suitable for bowls that will hold hot foods (i.e., beans, corn, etc.)?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most of our modern finishes are all food safe once cured. Now they may still be impacted (discolor) by the acid in the food but not to the point they will hurt you. I do not know of any made especially for hot foods.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
As said, finishes manufactured in the US have been required to be non-toxic when cure since the mid 1970's.

However, most finishes begin to soften or otherwise fail with heat above 140-150 degrees. There are some high heat epoxy finishes but they are quite expensive.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Mineral Oil. It won't hurt you. You find it in the pharmacy section of the store. I wouldn't drink it, it could cause some um, problems. It is fine for trivets, cutting boards, etc. I soak most of my scroll saw work in it, and all of my wood kitchen things in it.

Berta

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Once upon a time, my wife put something hot in a wooden bowl I had turned. It immediately cracked and taught us a lesson. The finish wasn't harmed.

Roy G

Glennbear

Glenn
If you are anticipating hot food usage I would suggest Walnut oil which is available in a health food store. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS