Flooring Flat or Quarter sawn ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Thinking about making up some flooring for my own personal use. It'll be RO, I have enough to do what I want in either Flat or QS. Is there any difference in installation technique or is it mainly appearance preference. I'm thinking it's appearance, but thought I would check with the experts, before I decide what I'm going to do.

Thanks

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jeff... I don't know much about differences in installing, but I do think that QSRO would look super nice as flooring, as compared to the FS...just my 2¢

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that using QS lumber would result in a floor less prone to noticeable movement than flat sawn and I also think that it would look better. Because wood moves the most with the growth rings, having them perpendicular to the surface of the floor vs. the edges of the board would give you less of a tendency to gap in the winter and squeak in the summer. I don't think that you would install either in any different method.
MTCW, YMMV,
Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
MTCW=My Two Cents Worth.....a gross exaggeration of the worth of the information and thoughts that I spew forth. :-D

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
:BangHead: I should've been able to figure that out...THANKS!

and your advice is worth more than 2¢..maybe more like 2.5¢ or even 3¢

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
Walnut with generous sapwood makes the most beautiful flooring...I wish I would have done that versus RO in the house.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Go with quartersawn,,, Though it takes more raw material to produce, it has much greater charactor. Also, flat does move more and it is more prone to cupping. Most premium flooring is QS for this reason.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, if it were me, I'd go with quartersawn, wide plank flooring, finished out to 5/8", glued down.

I concur though that black walnut with a lot of sapwood is spectacular.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS