First time demonstrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary G

New User
Gary
Norm B (Bluewing92) came by the shop tonight to visit and have me show him how to make a pen. We spent an enjoyable evening while we worked through the selection, design, and production stages of pen-making.
Tonight, I did the actual production; next time Norm makes the pen while I offer advice and tips if necessary.
This is what got made:
BemWalnut1.jpg

Chrome slimline dressed in segmented curly, lightly bird's eyed hard maple with black walnut accents.
Finished with a skew, followed by CA, walnut oil & CA, MM 1500 thru 12000, and buffed out with plastic polish.
The main question is What kinda lathe will he end up getting?
8-O
:D ;)
Gary

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Still teetering. Will see what my attempts and results bring. Then of course there is the family finance officer to contend with.:BangHead:

He has a big Griz and I don't have room for a big bear in my garage/shop.

Thanks again for your patience and information. Had a great time.:eusa_danc

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've got a Rikon Mini and I love it. It is small enough to move out of the way, but big enough to do what I want. I've also used a Jet Mini and it was also a very nice lathe.

Are you looking for a full size or mini? The mini's run right around $250.

Just my .02

bluewing92

New User
Norm
Mike, thanks for the input. If I get a lathe it will be in the mini category. Something that I can move around and don’t have to dedicate space for.

Gary had mentioned the Rikon and the Jet. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with PSI lathes, since the are somewhat less expensive or is this one of those cases you get what you pay for?

Thank

Gary G

New User
Gary
Thanks for visiting, I had a great time as well. And from your WN post, it sounds like the Finance officer isn't going to object. ;-)
bluewing92 said:
...or is this one of those cases you get what you pay for?
That's almost always the case and I think the ratio goes up with new equipment. I'd be watching the local craigslists and the like.

Gary

J

jeff...

(Lost in Space Voice On) Danger Will Robinson, Danger (Lost in Space Voice Off)

toolman

New User
Chad
I've got a Rikon Mini and I love it. It is small enough to move out of the way, but big enough to do what I want. I've also used a Jet Mini and it was also a very nice lathe.

Are you looking for a full size or mini? The mini's run right around $250.

Just my .02

My first lathe was $100.00 It is like the HF lathe ( not the Mini ). I made one pen, It came out great. But when I would screw the tail stock up it would bow the lathe!! So I went to Woocraft and got me a Rikon Mini. I love it!!!!!! Check them out the Jet is a good one to.

Oh yes Another one heading down the DARK SIDE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS