First Sale!! (kinda)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
At the suggestion of the LOML I donated a walnut and cypress bandsaw box to the fund-raising auction at the J. C. Raulston Arburetum, NC State (where she is a volunteer).

2008_Gala_Box_2.jpg

2008_Gala_Box_1.jpg

To my amazement it went for a $145 bid!!.:gar-Bi

For those in the Raleigh area who are looking for a non-money-making place to put their hobby to a good use, I can recommend the arboretum. After all, where do you think all those trees come from.:icon_thum

RayH

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ray, that's awesome. It's a beautiful piece and I am glad to see it command a bid worthy of it's craftsmanship. Does this mean that your lovely bride will be coming home with more plants from the Arboretum :swoon:
I am really glad to see all the support y'all are giving the Raulston Arboretum, it is a great resource and a beautiful place to spend some time.
But if y'all end up with any more plants, you might have to consider starting your own Arboretum :gar-La;:gar-La;

Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Great job Ray! It was a well deserved bid, and it was a great gesture on your part. :eusa_clap

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Ray, it was mighty good fo you to donate your craftsmanship to a good cause. :3dblob3: The box is really good, and the contrasting woods set it heads above simpler designs.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Way cool box there, Ray!!!:cool::cool::eusa_danc:cool::cool:

I am sure that it was definitely the talk of the auction!!!!!:wsmile:

Wayne

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Great looking box Ray and congrats on your willingness to help a worthy cause. I understand most things about woodworking but haven't quite figured out the 'how to" of bandsaw boxes. Wonder if someone would be willing to do a demo for some of us neophytes sometime? I imagine there would be much interest.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great job Ray.... Yes it counts as a sale.

Now I am no lawyer, but if that group is classified as a charity ( I beleive they are) you can set a reasonable value (the sale price) and write it off your taxes.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great box, worthy cause, and thanks for sharing :icon_thum
From the small amount of knowledge I have about bandsaw boxes, you have been doing lots of sanding too :mrgreen:

Appreciatively,
Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great looking box Ray and congrats on your willingness to help a worthy cause. I understand most things about woodworking but haven't quite figured out the 'how to" of bandsaw boxes. Wonder if someone would be willing to do a demo for some of us neophytes sometime? I imagine there would be much interest.

Well a while back I did a pictorial tutorial on BS boxes. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=285 Unfortunately the pic links are now dead.
The best resource for making BS boxes is Lois Ventura's book - http://www.amazon.com/Building-Beautiful-Boxes-Your-Band/dp/1558705228
She explains it very well, and has a lot of nice patterns to follow.

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
All I can say has been said by the rest of the group. I will add a FANTASTIC :eusa_clap:eusa_danc Wish I could do something as good looking.
Rita

RayH

New User
Ray
Thanks to all for the kind words. They are greatly appreciated.:wsmile:

I second DaveO's comments regarding Lois Ventura's book. It provides a very detailed explaination of the how-to of bandsaw boxes. Those who are familiar with her book will recognize my shameless thievery of her box design.:wink_smil

Again, thanks
RayH

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave, I clicked on te link....the text was there but there are no pics.

Yea, I know....it's missing those thousand words :eusa_doh::eusa_doh:
I don't know why old threads now have broken pic links :dontknow:

If you PM me your address I can mail you my copy of Ventura's book, I have pretty much memorized it. Or if you're coming to the picnic I can bring it then, it you would like.
The basic theory of a bandsaw box is the same no matter what the final shape is. Take your block of wood, either solid or laminated. Cut off a slice that will be the back...on the bandsaw.
Bandsawbox007.jpg

Then cut out the shapes that will be the drawers.
Bandsawbox008.jpg

Once you have the drawer pieces cut free, you will slice off the front and back off of them.
Bandsawbox009.jpg

Then take the inside piece of the drawer and cut out what will be the drawer cavity.
Bandsawbox010.jpg

Then it's glue up time. Glue the front and back of the drawer back on.
Bandsawbox012.jpg

Then glue the back of the box back on.
Bandsawbox013.jpg

Then cut the outer shape.
Bandsawbox017.jpg

If all is done well you won't see the any saw cuts other than the entry point for the drawer cut outs.
Bandsawbox021.jpg

Some folks like to leave that open and round the edges, and others will try to glue it shut. After all the cutting there is the sanding and rounding over of all the edges.
Bandsawbox022_917564.jpg

This will take the most time. I find a trim router with a 1/8" or 1/4" round-over bit will soften the edges well. And a OSS will handle the bulk of BS mark removal and smoothing of the surfaces.
Clear as mud..huh???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors