First rocking horse, seventeenth-century style

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I've finally completed my first rocking horse, for grandson Nathan, based on plans for a seventeenth-century slab-sided style:

Nathan-rockhorse-dscf0811.jpg

The plans called for 3/8" ply, but I'd have to splice together the 3/8" 24" x 30" piece of baltic-birch I bought from Woodcraft, to get 36" of length for the rockers, and I decided I didn't like my odds of success especially as I was unable to get the 3-wing cutter I wanted for joinery at that time; I avoided the joinery issues and used a 1/2" 24" x 48" shop-grade birch handy-panel instead.

As this project meant entering the world of complex curves, and angles other than 90 degrees, I made plenty of mistakes, so I don't expect my horse to win any craftsmanship awards; however, the happiness of the recipient is all the reward I'll ever need:

Nathan-rockhrs2-dscf0810.jpg

Dad and sister Clara look on in the background; as dad pointed out, the little flaws give it "character", and represent Grandpa's handmade, doesn't-look-like-it-came-from-a-factory kind of work.

John

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I'm sure the many imaginary miles will be covered on that horse! Looks great and your grandson seems EXTREMELY happy!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
John Great job brother.
Love to see kids laughing and having a good time, especially sitting on what you have built.:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

b4man

New User
Barbara
John, that is fantastic and he looks like he's having a ball riding it. You should be very proud of yourself Granpa!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well done, John!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

And the Little Guy sure looks like he is enjoying it. His little feet can just about reach the stirrups! Yippee I Oh, ridin' into the sunset!:rolf:

Definitely a keeper for him and perhaps his little ones!:eusa_danc

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS