First pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I know it sucks, and I should have done something in the middle. But it's my first and I feel it's decent enough to show y'all. It was fun, I think I see a problem coming on...too many pens. Thanks to Clay and DL for the stuff and inspiration to get me started. Stay tuned for better pens soon.

Firstpenadjusted004.jpg

Oh, yea I had to re-size the image, so I decided to mess around with it a little...might make you miss the mistakes. Thanks for looking and hopefully not telling me to give it up. Dave:)

T

toolferone

Looking good! Hey where did you get the great mandrel you turned that beautiful pen on:eusa_danc ?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, that turned out Great.:icon_thum Wasn't there a center ring included with the pen kit I gave you? Or did I forget to toss it in the bag? I am glad to see you didn't have any issues with the off-center turning that I had.

D L

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the new addiction! The pen looks good - how did you put it together withoiut the center ring - did the twist mechanism not go very into the bottom barrel?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D L Ames said:
Wasn't there a center ring included with the pen kit I gave you? Or did I forget to toss it in the bag? I am glad to see you didn't have any issues with the off-center turning that I had.

D L

DL, actually the pen kit was from Clay, I'm saving the ones you gave me for a nice matched set. I left the center ring out because I thought it would look better. Plus I didn't turn the center down to the bushing diameter.
I was unable to use the mandrel you let me borrow because I have a #1 MT. This lathe continues to give me fits:BangHead: So I picked one up at Woodcraft. Very nice and only $10. My next one will have a band of some sort at the center, I just didn't want to take the time to do the glue up this time. Thanks again for getting me started....you may have created a monster.

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Excellent Dave! (evil thought.. ahhh haaa, he's hooked now!)

That's better than my first pen I did solo. I think it's in the trash somewhere.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Travis, it is finshed...I hit it with some Danish Oil, and a 1/2 hour later put on a friction polish (Hut) which is a shellac and wax blend. Not the most durable, I've heard, but it is what I had on hand.

On that note, has anyone tried the Hut PPP waxes are they worth trying. Also please explain the CA finish.

Clay, you've done it now...I'm sliding fast, and picking up speed..look out bottom here I come.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Well well well... since you are sliding down... let me grease the skids a little more. Check out the IAP website. Their discussion forum is pretty good. They have a forum on finishing.

As far as a CA finish goes, I can honestly say, it will take some serious practice, at least it does for me. Still don't have it down 100% consistantly. Here is a set of CA finish instructions that one guy on the IAP posted. It really does help to actually see it done though. I'm angling to knock on Woodguy's door next time I'm in town, to show me (again).

I've used the Hut PPP. I used it in the 3-step method ( 3 coats of sanding sealer, followed by 3 coats of friction polish, followed by 3 coats of wax.). Can't tell how the finish will hold up, it's pretty good, but not as durable as a CA pen. From all I have been told and read, you will probally need to polish your pen from time to time.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Here is an example of a CA finished pen vs a 3 step finished pen....
This is my best CA finish to date.
ph.jpg

Here is a 3 step finished pen...
ebony-and-mystery.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, Clay thanks for the info. I personally like the CA finished pen. It's about the best I've seen, where did you get the wood:lol: Seriously, both of them look great to me. I wonder how durable either finish is.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, my first pen looked like a bumpy stick with some metal pieces on each end. It worked like a pen and I still have it somewhere. We keep it hidden in a drawer so no one can see it. Your pen, on the other hand, looks great and I would be proud to show it off. Great start and enjoy the ride. You are on a slippery slope to the dark side now....:lol:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Dave, very nice first pen. I like a lot of guys wouldn't show my first one. :lol:

Did I start all of this?:rolf:

Feel free to ask away about the more advanced stuff. There are lots of secrets out there for pen turning. :D

corncobpen_small.jpg

eurosegmented_small.jpg

338casingpen_small.jpg

bluedyedmaplebaron_small.jpg

See ya,

John

DaveO

New User
DaveO
woodguy1975 said:
Did I start all of this?:rolf:

John

You may have got all this started. You turned Clay on to pens, and after I gave him some scrap and he explained how the were done and left me with some material to practice with I am starting to slip down the slope.

You're a real trouble maker, aren't you!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS