First attempt with bandsaw box and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Hi all,
Just had my first bandsaw box attempt, using glued up 2 pieces of 2x4s,
with a Delta 28-243 (1/3 hp motor), and and old 1/4" 6~7 tpi saw blade.
The result is not good, and the sawing was hard, when sawing curve, I
even staled the saw.

I have a bandsaw box book, in which the author used a benchtop saw,
powered by electrical hand drill, and the author claimed to be working
fine for him. In the book, he talked about 1/4" 15 tpi or so blade.

Given my experience, would appreciate if you could share your opinion
on the following questions:

1. have you used construction 2x4s for bandsawing box, if so what's your
experience? Is it harder to saw than, say, maple?
2. does my bandsaw have enough power (1/3 hp), for sawing even
3-1/2" thick 2x4?
3. would switch to a new, more decent blade help?

Thank you in advance.

Pinwu

PS. I am still glueing up the pieces together, at least to get me some
experience from beginning to the end.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I have made several of them in the past and what I would suggest is to google how to make bandsaw boxes and the are several sites in there that can help you out better that I can explain it here in a response.This in my opinion is one of the best sites Band Saw Box I will try to answer a few questions if I can.One is that a 1/8 blade with 7 to 12 TPI will serve you better as you can turn your wood easier it will cut smother,therfore saving you a lot of sanding time.As for a 1/3 HP motor,that will do fine,just take you time an go slow and try not to back up an start over during a cut as that will make the cut rougher.As for wood Just about any wood will do,except some of the REAL dense hardwoods will be harder to cut and sand down.I used a lot of mahogany an cherry with darker colored hardwoods as accents.I think when done right they are beautifull pieces,but its not a job you can rush.I forgot to say that the more you have to sand off the sloppier you drawers will fit and you don't want that.You want the piece to look like someone has just drawn lines around it and when they pull open a drawer it is a nice snug fit.Good luck and if I can help any more just ask here PM me email me no problem
Ken
OH yes you have to have a GOOD sharp blade.A dull blade will not saw smooth and will make your saw work harder and it will show in your finished product.Also make sure your bandsaw is tuned up real good.
Ken

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hi all,
Just had my first bandsaw box attempt, using glued up 2 pieces of 2x4s,
with a Delta 28-243 (1/3 hp motor), and and old 1/4" 6~7 tpi saw blade.
The result is not good, and the sawing was hard, when sawing curve, I
even staled the saw.

I have a bandsaw box book, in which the author used a benchtop saw,