First attempt at a Rocking Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
After a very long time, I completed my first attempt at a Rocking Chair. A couple of years ago WoodWrangler mentioned this guy http://www.kappelusa.com/ in one of his posts. He emailed my a Word document with some general directions and I proceeded. Many lessons were learned; the biggest one was I should have taken a class with someone - would have saved some serious frustration. Anyways, it is completed and sits proudly in the house. I have two daughters so another chair will be in the future sometime. A big thank you to all of you have posted your photos of your completed chairs - it was certainly an inspiration to me.

39.JPG

View image in gallery

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
You guys that do it on your own are so much more than good! I can't imagine finishing mine without John's guidance, and Mike and Jeff's help.
That's a great looking rocker!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very Nice :thumbs_up

I think all the frustration during the building increases the satisfaction when you've overcome it; the project is complete and your rocking away sipping a cool one!!!

. . . and remember the second one will be a bit easier.

pete

woodguy1975

New User
John
Very nice! I think everyone who attempts one of these rockers grows dramatically as a woodworker. Pat yourself on the back and tell yourself good job. The success rate of completed sculptural rockers to attempted is probably on the order of 25% in general from comparing the record of my students to that of Marc Adams. The completion rate from my classes is probably running close to 60% now which is awesome, but when averaged with the other schools rates is much lower. Jeremy and his class set the bar and all completed their rockers. :) Now my own rocker from that class is another story. LOL!! There were 4 chairs created, but only 3 completed. At least it was the instructor who is the slacker. :)

Now you have the basics of chair design your can expand it in whatever direction you like. One of my favorite chairs that I've done will always be the settee. Expanding your chair making is simply a matter of using ergonomic dimensions and some artistic flair.

Congrats again!
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Maybe this spring we'll talk about another remote location NCWWer rocker class. ;)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very, very nice rocker there.:eusa_danc

Great simple lines and fantastic looking wood.

Wayne

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Beautiful! You guys and these rockers! I need a bigger house so I'll have somewhere to put one!

mikeacg

New User
Mike
The chair turned out really nice! :eusa_clap
I'm sure you have a better feeling of accomplishment, despite the aggravation, by doing it on your own. Thanks for sharing!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow, first attempt with nothing but some written instructions? That's a great looking chair!

GFranks

New User
Gary
I'm going to attempt the Charles Brock chair soon, got the plans but id sure is a lot of wood to buy. Great job on your chair!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Absolutely beautiful work! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

The fact that you did it based on written instructions alone is truly impressive. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS