Finished top Unit for Chest of Drawers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
After I made the bow front chest of drawers, I decided to make a smaller drawer unit to sit on top of it. A set of junk drawers , if you will. I got the inspiration looking through a Thomas Moser catalog and I have to admit that I am quite happy with it. I had just gotten my Festool Domino when I started the project and of course went a bit over the top with it. 60 mortises in all and they all lined up as you can see in the first picture. Of course I had to make a mirror to tie the whole thing together.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very Cool Dino :icon_thum

Great match on the drawers and the beveled mirror adds just the right touch.
But I think you might have gotten a bit carried away with the Dominoes :gar-La;

pete

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Dino,

Once in a while, someone posts pictures of a piece that really motivates me to keep learning how to do new things. That is BEAUTIFUL! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap May I ask, what types of wood did you use and also, did you veneer the fronts of the drawers? (Probably a stupid question) :slap: I was just trying to figure out how you built them so they were curved like that. I think I have an idea of how you did it, but I'm not sure how to explain it. :nah:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Magnificent! I was sort of confused when you said "junk drawers", until I figured out you meant "to store junk". Gorgeous finish and it really complements the original chest.

Judging by the number of dominoes used, I'd say your junk includes small thermonuclear devices that go off accidentally.

sawduster

New User
Robert
WOW !!!:eek: :eek:

......never in my wildest dreams :nah:

That is just plain ol' beautiful work man :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Re: Finished top Unit for Chest of Drawers, Updated w/ pic

Thank you all for all the nice compliments.

Trent, the curved drawer fronts are all mahogany resawed into 1/8 inch slices and glue laminated together in a male/female form. They are then banded with figured maple.

Bill, I always finish mahogany as follows: I apply Potassium Dichromate to the sanded piece to bring out the color of the wood. This is followed by spraying sanding sealer. The entire piece is sanded again with 400 grit and then finish sprayed with pre-catalyzed lacquer. After drying for a day, sand with 600 grit followed with a couple of coats of wax. * Mahogany is very opened grained and if you want a really smooth finish a filler must be applied between sealer and finish.

Here is a better picture without all the glare:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Dino!!!:wsmile::wsmile::icon_thum

Looks like something they would sell at our local Ethan Alan stores!!:wsmile:

Wayne

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Great work Dino! I would know it was yours now without havind to be told. It has your signature banding on the draw fronts. I like that touch.

Doug

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Beautiful work Dino. Since you're doing that kind of furniture perhaps you should buy the two bookmatched "The Quilted Mahogony" boards being offered on Sawcreek. From THE tree cut in 1965. 23"x11' for only $10,000.00 for the two.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Very nice. Your emphasis on quality comes through every piece you make.

Is the front solid or do the drawers open (customary drawer shot request)?

I'm impressed. :icon_thum

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS