Finally got the heater working and turned a few XMAS presents

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Well that last couple of week have been a bit cold up here (just outside of Chicago).... well for you folks in NC you'd say frigid. After several trips to the hardware store for some pipe, elbows I got the old garage heater replaced. The garage is a warm 65 degrees while the outside is under 25.

So I was able to fire up the lathe and turn a few presents.

Of the 17 pens I turned I think the Osage Orange Cigar Pen looks great. I like the coloration and the nice tight grain.

I also turn Paduak for the first time and like the way they look as well.

Well, I am going to be busy getting ready for the family coming over on Christmas Eve so I want to pass on my wishes for a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to all of you here at North Carolina Woodworkers.

John

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice group. What do you use for a finish? Looks like the darkside will be well represented under the trees this year!:mrgreen:

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Nice group. What do you use for a finish? Looks like the darkside will be well represented under the trees this year!:mrgreen:

Dennis,
I sand thru 1200,clean with DNA then mm thru 12000. Clean with DNA again and the 3 coats of Mylands High Build Friction Polish hitting it with mm 8000 & 12000 between coats. Then 3 applications of carnuba.

I am hoping to add CA finishing to my finishes but I am waiting on some acetal rod to make bushings for finishing. I dont want to risk ruining the finish if the CA binds the blanks to the metal bushings.

I experimented with the CA finish on some scrap and the first two attempts came out really nice. So I am looking forward to trying it on a few pens. Anyway, the finish now looks pretty nice and is what I'll use until the rod comes in.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors