Finally Got a fix for my Bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey all
If you would remember back to my problem with the Carter Bearings upgrade to my Grizzly Band saw. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10412

Well after a dozen or so emails with pics and phone conversations with Carter techs, I took the ball back into my court.
These folks kept telling me that they wanted to and could fix the problem.
Here is a picture of what they sent me. Oh, 1 at a time by the way, so this went on for a while.

The first one one the left is a center drilled mounting cup. Of course that didnt even come close.
The second item (middle) is a larger diameter mounting bracket. They sent this to me in attempt to fix the problem with me not being able to mount my blade guard. Cause the one that came with the kit is meant to go onto a round guide post. Mine is not round, and where it is ground round only extends upward just enough to mount the cup for the bearings. It was so large that even with the set screws, there was no way it would tighten up.
The third item was their continuing efforts to supply me with an universal offset that would work. Look at that thing, what the heck where they thinking about.
I think they were just shoving crap in a box without much thought.

Well here is the fix:

I had this mounting bracket cup made at a local machine shop. Not only did they make this but they also turned my guide post up the shaft additional 1" to facilitate mounting the blade guard bracket.

Oh best of all the machine shop didn't charge me anything for doing this.:eusa_danc
I am sending this pic to the techs at Carter to show them that I got it fixed.
I'm not really mad at them as I understand that they make one set up to fit a bunch of different saws. But you would think that they would have something set up for what doesn't.
And if they don't, then don't list a particular saw.
Riser Block or not. This has no bearing on the offset. You can not change the offset between the wheel and the guide post. It is set at the factory. Well I guess you could remount the top section of your saw when installing a riser block so that the top wheel is way infront of the bottom wheel. But you would know that right off as your blade would really be at a noticeable angle.
Other than as Mike Davis pointed out, a problem with casting and a guide post that doesn't travel straight up and down.
I don't have that problem. Everything was checked out and tolerances where measured. My setup was right on the money.

Oh well it is fixed now, and I can go on to make saw dust.

I just thought that I would repost the conclusion to this and hopefully it might help someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS