Federal Style Desk for my grandson - finally done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
desk1.jpg
:):)
desk9.jpg
Desk made for my grandson. Used local walnut for the exposed and structural parts. Baltic birch plywood for the top and all the panels for stability, and veneered with walnut and maple burl. All the inlay work was done with knives and gouges (except for the inlay bandings which were made with power tools, then inlayed with a router). The design was mostly done on the fly, and inspired by Federal pieces (mostly Philadelphia, circa 1780 - 1820). I kept track of my time: about 175 labor hours. Started in October, 2011 and Completed in January 2013. It was loads of fun, but I'm finally relieved that it is finally done! For those who are interested, there are more picturess in my gallery.

Attachments

• desk1.jpg
    desk1.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 158
  • desk9.jpg
    desk9.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 152

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is more than simply Amazing~! Goodness that is very nice and I am sure your grandson will cherish the desk for many years to come.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am having trouble talking now - my jaw is on the floor and it won't come back up.

Outstanding design and craftsmanship!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work there, Matt! :icon_thum

It will be appreciated and well looked after for many years to come.

Wayne

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
He is 5, Bill. Just in time for him to start school. Guess I'll have to council him carefully on how to protect and take care of this. He is the one that I'm not worried about, but his 3-year-old little brother!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Keep tryin, you'll get it right someday. :rotflm:

Wish I could make the desk much less all that inlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors