Fair Warning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I only see a [strike]couple[/strike] few things I would want....:rolleyes:

.:nah:

Travis, here are a few more Festool gloats, just for you....

488876-Front.jpg

fr_mfs_492611_z_01a.jpg

s_ctasa_492767_p_01a.jpg

:gar-Bi

Outa Square

New User
Al
The real tragedy here is most the time when someone post gloats like this there are orphan from previous gloats that are displaced:no:

Congrats, [STRIKE]and hopefully your open house happens when a visit to the in-laws is possible; other wise it is a haul. That way both the wife and i can be excited about the trip, and I'll get a million brownie points for suggesting the idea of going.[/STRIKE]

edit: just found out where New Hill is, it's a haul either way.... i just may need to make a pilgrimage. :gar-Bi

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:swoon:............:tinysmile_cry_t: Ok, I think I'm alright.........:eek::swoon:..............

To say "you suck" or "you rock" would not adequately encompass the magnitude of the gloats that you've posted. I don't even know what half of those things are, but they look cool!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_thum Good for you buddy! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I got a new drill last night :roll:
corded :roll:
:rotflm:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Yeah, something like that :) And what about saw blades? Band saw blades? Router bits? Shop cabinets? Outfitting a shop this large is going to be a major project, the power tools and heavy equipment are just one step. Gloats are going to go on for months!

So, that raises an interesting question. What do you plan to do differently this time around, now that you're starting from scratch? Dust collection is an obvious one...what else?

I haven't bothered to post the gloats on the smaller items, but suffice to say that there are consumables being purchased with all of the larger items (but OUCH those 180" carbide blades for the resaw really hurt the wallet!)

I'm buying a workbench kit, but plan on building a lot of cabinets myself once the shop is in operation. (and will probably seek advice from many of the cabinet experts here). I'd like to store more of the supplies out of site instead of on open shelves - this sure neatens up the shop and also keeps the items cleaner.

Dust collection will be a three part system. There is a 25ph 16" blower for the big equipment (and I'm planning to run a suction hose to the Oneida to make emptying it easier), and the Oneida will handle the smaller equipment. The Festool system will have it's own HEPA filter system.

Many of my router and shaper cutters survived the fire, so I already have a good starting point. I'll need to buy some cutters for the moulder though (fortunately these will interchange with the shaper), and will figure what to get over time.

One thing that I'll need to get (and am seeking advice on) are the cutters for making shop cabinets and doors. I'm not sure which style to get in terms of ogee, quarter round, etc - is there some place that I can find out what style is typically used for which period of furniture?

In terms of what I'm doing different - the interior ceiling height is 15' 3", instead of 8'. Also, I'll be using low-bay metal halide lights in the main shop, with T8 flourescents where needed.

Trav - you hit the nail on the head in that I'll be installing a some type of fire suppression system. Right now my problem is water volume and pressure (I'm on a well), so I'm kicking around different ideas re a gaseous type of system (also won't damage the equipment). Still have a ways to go here though.

I'm also installing some fairly large windows along two sides of the shop, to bring in more natural light (without losing my conditioned air).

I'll also need to see about air filtration and if I need some type of auxilliary system. One option that I have is to build some ducts into the main system and use it for cleaning up the general shop air.

ps - Grizzly just called about my order pickup. They wanted to make sure that I knew that the crate for the horizontal resaw is 7' tall!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I haven't bothered to post the gloats on the smaller items
I figured as much, you'd probably beat DaveO in post count if you did! Although a good Lee Valley/ Lie-Nielsen gloat is just as good as a Festool one. There is a new thread on SMC this morning, someone is setting up shop and is going a little overboard on the detail :) Interesting contrast.

I've been doing an inventory of all my power tools, hand tools and accessories. Just in case I need that info. It's staggering how much you can stuff into a 350sq.ft. shop....

Oh, and don't forget you may want to leave a little room for storing and drying lumber :rotflm::rotflm:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Scott:

As depressing as it was to sort through the ashes from the tool barb-e-que. This part is VERY cool! Please add the pics of the tools as you get them set up and in place. Stock photos are good, but nothing beats the real thing. Besides sometimes how and where you set it up is just as interesting.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Nah. The rest of the Festool didn't do anything for me.

You are missing (and I have on my list)
Multi-spindle line borer
Edge bander
Pocket hole machine

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
All thiese new toys and you still have a trip to Mercy Pa. to make for the big toys, going to be a great shop, need any help?
dick

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Wow, this is a thread for posterity, I'll post just to be part if history!

I guess now I know why the nuclear plant is so close to New Hill!

Seriously, Scott, glad to hear your tale of woe has finally taken this turn for the better!

(That's an appropriate number of exclamation points, given the thread, right?)

R

rickc

Good for you! :icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

As gut wrenching it must have been to see the aftermath of the fire, I think having the ability to rebuild and shop for new equipment must be a bit exhilarating. Keep on having fun!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Just wondering Scott... was the cause of the fire determined? Just something I wondered.

Clay, all that we know for sure is that it started in the attic and are pretty sure that the cause was electrical. There is a slight chance that it may have been started by some grease residue in the stove vent hood, but this is a pretty small liklihood.

My personal theory is that the previous owner, who built out the apartment himself, sunk a romex staple a little bit too deep in the attic, most likely on a wire to the vent hood, and between the warmth from the current flowing throug the wire as well as the hot attic, the insulation thinned out and arced.

The stove vent fan was running at the time the fire started, and the first portion of the roof to burn through was over the stove and vent hood, so all indicators point to something in that area. As I recall, the switch for the kitchen lights and vent hood were in the ceiling above the stove.

There was a lot of smoke coming out from the ridge vent when the breaker tripped on the vent hood fan, so I doubt that the cause was the fan motor itself.

Although it's fun to be buying new equipment (along with the accompanying "gloat"), I'd trade it all in a heartbeat if I could have my old shop - and more importantly - the items that were in it - back. Even with the insurance coverage I'll still lose about 50K in the end in terms of the cost to replace what was there versus the amount of the reimbursement. The main thing is that nobody was hurt, and for what can't be replaced - I have some great memories.

And I also cherish the memories of the myriad of volunteers from NCWoodworker who came out and took on the dirty job of sifting through the ashes and not only helping with the clean up, but also helping with the identification and categorization of the remnants. That was truly the best part of the entire situation (and even better than buying the new equipment... although it's close... !)

Rob

New User
Rob
Scott, are you going to be able to replace the motorcycles that were burned, or were you able to salvage them?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, are you going to be able to replace the motorcycles that were burned, or were you able to salvage them?

Rob, there were toast (figuratively as well as literally), and more of a salvage project than I was interested in.

I have a 2000 Road King that belonged to my best friend (he passed away in August). It's a wreck and needs rebuilding, and I'm planning to start working on it in late spring after the new shop is up and running. Hopefully I'll have it together before the end of summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS