Exploding wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Hmm, I wonder if Scott Smith has any new ideas :gar-La;

As a matter of fact...... :gar-La;

I might have to add trying this to the future "project" list! I've got the powder in stock, just need a way to ignite it. Hmm.... anybody got any blasting caps or primercord? This might be a great NCWW event!

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that the split goes right through the best QS material. I would prefer to split the log into thirds, but I don't think that the grain would allow that.

Hmm.....

ehpoole

Ethan
I might have to add trying this to the future "project" list! I've got the powder in stock, just need a way to ignite it. Hmm.... anybody got any blasting caps or primercord? This might be a great NCWW event!

If it is gunpowder just use some model rocket ignitors. You simply attach them to a pair of wires run to a safe distance, then short the two wires to a 6V battery to ignite. Essentially they are electrically ignited matches, the elecricity shorts the heating element which creates a vigorous flame that lasts a second or so -- more than enough time to ignite gunpowder. They are available from most hobby shops that carry model rocket kits and engines. If you want a safety backup, wire a second ignitor to a second pair of wires in the event you fail on the first try. If you purchased a proper 'launch' remote they include a continuity tester that verifies the ignitor is properly wired before you arm the remote.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
If it is gunpowder just use some model rocket ignitors. You simply attach them to a pair of wires run to a safe distance, then short the two wires to a 6V battery to ignite. Essentially they are electrically ignited matches, the elecricity shorts the heating element which creates a vigorous flame that lasts a second or so -- more than enough time to ignite gunpowder. They are available from most hobby shops that carry model rocket kits and engines. If you want a safety backup, wire a second ignitor to a second pair of wires in the event you fail on the first try. If you purchased a proper 'launch' remote they include a continuity tester that verifies the ignitor is properly wired before you arm the remote.

And don't forget to say "Hey honey, watch this!"

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
As a matter of fact...... :gar-La;

Primer cord? Why not just shoot at it? :rolf:

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Hmmmmm, I might try this myself...scaled down a bit. Maybe a few firecrackers inserted into a 3" diameter branch?!?! Yeah; that's more my speed...before attempting cherry bombs in a 5" 'log' - get lotsa toothpicks, maybe a pen blank!! :rotflm:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing! It is my understanding that trees that fall has a result of storm winds are often worthless to woodworkers due to "shaken tree" phenomenon; if that is true, I wonder why this same effect is not imparted to the wood using the black powder technique? Just curious.:icon_scra

Donn

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing! It is my understanding that trees that fall has a result of storm winds are often worthless to woodworkers due to "shaken tree" phenomenon; if that is true, I wonder why this same effect is not imparted to the wood using the black powder technique? Just curious.:icon_scra

Donn

Donn, "Shake" often occurs when a living tree experiences high winds, and it causes a horizontal shear within the trunk.

There are various ways to go about using the blasting method, but the underlying principle is to split the trunk the same way that you would split a log - along the medulary ray lines. I think that the key to preventing splits from occuring throughout the log is to try to follow the path of the rays, and to not go overboard with the powder.

The concept is primarily beneficial for reducing large logs down to a size where they will fit onto a mill. Since I can mill a log up to 5' in diameter, it has limited benefit for me other than the "fun" factor (which admittedly is fairly high!).

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Scott, thank you for your informative response, it has help me make sense of the situation.

Donn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS