Dubby tapering jig - UPDATED with review

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Got my $ale priced Dubby Tapering jig yesterday, put it together and checked it out. Thanks for the heads up, Matt, aka splint eastwood!! Review to follow soon with pictures (of course).

bobby g

Well, here goes. My first impression upon opening the box was that the workmanship looked good, the materials looked good and the value seemed good. I assembled it in about an hour including some redo steps due to not bing able to get it right from the instructions and having to refer to the large photo on the outside of the box to make corrections. Look closely and you can see that I put rubber caps on the ends of the adjustment screws on the clamps to keep from tearing up my hand when releasing

Here it is on the saw. I had already cut off the base which made it flush to the blade.
DSC002452.JPG

View image in gallery

Next, I clamped down a piece of wood in preparation for a test cut. The toggle clamps are easy to adjust. For thicker stock, I will need to add riser blocks under the clamp sub-assembly. Notice that the board is in contact with a stop peg to prevent it from being forced back by the sawing forces. More about the stop peg later.

Here it is after the cut. The scrap dropped off and stayed safely on the table due to the riving knife being present. The instructions tell the operator to complete the cut and turn off the saw before retracting the jig. They didn't say why but it was easy to discover the reason. The miter slot bar had 5 spring loaded plungers that bear against one edge of the slot and push the bar to the opposite edge. Since they are spring loaded, it is possible for the jig to move in a rotational motion when being pulled back and mess up the edge of the jig and edge of the piece that was just cut. DAMHIK. It is, in fact, possible to cause this rotation during the cutting stroke too but not as likely to happen if one is careful to push straight and not force the wood into the blade.

The stop peg is hard to use as shipped. There is no convenient way to tighten it. It had a hole drilled all the way through so I tapped it and threaded-in and epoxied a 1/4-20 bolt that has a hex head with a slot in it. Tightening and loosening is now simple using either a socket or a straight bladed screw driver.

Here is a picture of the bottom of the jig. You can see the plunger locations. One of the plungers came apart while adjusting it (notice the middle one is missing) so I called Peachtree and a couple of replacements are on the way... great customer service I'm happy to report!

Overall, I'm quite pleased. It's a good value, especially at the sale price, and is certainly much safer than the old hinge style jig that I had been using. The clamps make it possible to safely cut small parts.

Hope this helps.

bobby g

Last edited:

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Re: Dubby tapering jig

Bobby,

Thanks for posting! Cant wait to see the pics !

They sold out of those pretty fast, as well. Glad you snagged

M

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Bobby,

Almost didn't see your Update: Snuk it in the Title. :gar-Bi.

Great review, I like the pics highlighting its features. I did not know the jig had a "backstop" for the piece being cut. A very nice safety feature.

Also, I liked the way you made "mods" to fit your needs.

The Bar looks to be an Aluminum Extrusion (very solid, substantial). ?

Nice looking tool and very nice review, thanks,

Matt

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Bobby/Joe,

Thanks for the reviews and tweak suggestions. I ordered one during the last sale as well but it will likely be a while before I get to using it. I really appreciate the tips!

Travis

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the review and the tips.

Got mine on Tuesday but it is still sitting in the box in the shop. Should have time tomorrow to get it un-packed and set-up.

blackemmons

New User
Jim
bibby g,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I got my new Dubby the other day and assembled it also.

I have a question about the stop. Your pic shows a bolt head sticking out that looks like it could be placed in the path of the blade.

My stop is assembled so that if you do happen to have it placed beyond the outside edge of the jig and in the path of the blade, you only cut the plastic. The bolt slides in the slot and the plastic knob is threaded on the end. To move it forward or backward, you just loosen the plastic knob and slide it back and forth in the slot.

?????

Jim

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
bibby g,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I got my new Dubby the other day and assembled it also.

I have a question about the stop. Your pic shows a bolt head sticking out that looks like it could be placed in the path of the blade.

My stop is assembled so that if you do happen to have it placed beyond the outside edge of the jig and in the path of the blade, you only cut the plastic. The bolt slides in the slot and the plastic knob is threaded on the end. To move it forward or backward, you just loosen the plastic knob and slide it back and forth in the slot.

?????

Jim

Jim,

I like to position and clamp the work piece and then move the stop up to it. I couldn't turn it with my fingers with it against the work piece so I added the bolt. If needed, I can add a strip of wood between the rail and the work piece to keep the stop out of the blade path.

bobby g

blackemmons

New User
Jim
jim,

i like to position and clamp the work piece and then move the stop up to it. I couldn't turn it with my fingers with it against the work piece so i added the bolt. If needed, i can add a strip of wood between the rail and the work piece to keep the stop out of the blade path.

Bobby g

ok!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Well, I got mine unpacked and assembled today.

The only problem I ran into was with the width of the base. When I put it in the right miter slot, with the rabbet for the stick on ruler towards the operator (that would be me), the base was just short of the raised saw blade. About 3/16" short to be more precise. I would have had to drill and counter sink three new holes to move the base further to the left to get it to where I could overlap the blade as instructed in the assembly manual.

I got around the problem by turning the base 180 degrees and using the second set of mounting holes. I had to cut a rabbet on the opposite end of the base for the stick on ruler.

I guess the distance from the miter slot to the saw blade varies between different brands of saws. If the base was 1/4" wider, or if there were a fifth set of mounting holes in the base, it would have worked with no modifications on my Grizzly 1023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS