Does Porter Cable still make these???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I thought someone on this site posted a picture of one of these some time back and was wondering if they are still made. It seems to me that I did see one somewhere on the PC site but that may have been during one of those late nite internet romps and my eyes may have been playing tricks on me.:lol: Anyway, I like the locomotive look, don't you?

portercable-2.JPG

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Mike, Amazon has the PC 503 on their site but it states it is not currently available so I don't know if it has been discontinued or they just no longer carry it. The PC 503 is a 3" x 24" heavy duty belt sander.

D L

B0000222XE.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1112648151_.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
Mike,

I was the one that posted that pic:
07-26-20042.JPG

I have used these sanders for years, I was a professional cabinetmaker for several years. I can tell you that these are the BEST belt sanders ever made, and I have used many brands.

Now, the bad news. PC don't make these anymore. They stopped making the 503 in 2004, and stopped making the 504(the no dustbag model, in 2005 from what I understand.) This one was the last one that Klingspor had,and it was the display model.

I would suggest looking for a used one, or you might find a new one somewhere that a dealer may still have( at $450-500, this is VERY possible). Right off hand I would suggest calling Tarheel Filing in Raleigh, and see if they have one in the back of the warehouse, or calling Specialty Tool on Atlantic Ave. They do a lot of repair work, and they may have a used one that someone never picked-up.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
Is the 503 that better than the 301?

Uh oh................Me thinks Steve is feeling the onset of WGD and is looking for something new, improved and shiny. Stay tuned for a PC 301 near you to be offered for sale at a discounted rate shortly.:lol:

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
D L Ames said:
Uh oh................Me thinks Steve is feeling the onset of WGD and is looking for something new, improved and shiny. Stay tuned for a PC 301 near you to be offered for sale at a discounted rate shortly.:lol:

D L
Not this time. I was just curious why would the 503 be considered better than the 301.

I have this one

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
Not this time. I was just curious why would the 503 be considered better than the 301.

I have this one

Oh poor Steve...........the belt on yours is much to wide for what you need. Why don't you just drop it in the mail to me and get yourself one of those nice shiny 503s while they are still available.:lol:

Seriously, that is a good question Steve. Maybe the platen on the 503 is stiffer than the 301. Beats me.

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
SteveColes said:
Is the 503 that better than the 301?

Steve,

The regular belt sanders are belt driven and the 503 is worm drive with a chain instead of a belt. I guess this is the Mack truck of belt sanders. Don't think I'll be dropping 500 bucks on one though.

From one of the sites "
Worm-gear drive for smooth and efficient power transfer from the motor - the most efficient gearing system for belt sanders
Chain drive provides unsurpassed reliability and operating smoothness"

Mike

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
SteveColes said:

I have this one

Steve,

The old locomotive type sanders are VERY well balanced, because it is longer and the weight is directly on top of the sanders platen. That worm gear has some torque too, you won't bog that sander either.

I have the 3 x 24 model like yours as well. It is a very good belt sander. A 4 x 24 is a little to big in my opinion. I tried one and it was just too awkward for me.

Skil ans Stanley(yes Stanley) made some excellent belt sanders, and I still see them on ebay. The only thing about them now would be finding parts when needed.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I agree that mine can be a bit awkward, but it sures removes material. I also have a makita 3 x18 that I use when a finer touch is necessary
ChrisC said:
Steve,

The old locomotive type sanders are VERY well balanced, because it is longer and the weight is directly on top of the sanders platen. That worm gear has some torque too, you won't bog that sander either.

I have the 3 x 24 model like yours as well. It is a very good belt sander. A 4 x 24 is a little to big in my opinion. I tried one and it was just too awkward for me.

Skil ans Stanley(yes Stanley) made some excellent belt sanders, and I still see them on ebay. The only thing about them now would be finding parts when needed.

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Steve - please look under buy and sell tools - I have a 3 x 24 PC belt sander bought in about 1964 for sale. Doesn't look quite like a locomotive, but acts like one! Heavy machine, requiring no downward pressure for efficient, controlled sanding. I also have about 23 belts, grit 60 to 220, that I'm selling all for $30.00 After upi look at the picture, let me know if you're interested. In the meantime I'll check for the exact model number.
Roger (timsparents)

timsparents@earthlink.net

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
timsparents said:
Steve - please look under buy and sell tools - I have a 3 x 24 PC belt sander bought in about 1964 for sale. Doesn't look quite like a locomotive, but acts like one! Heavy machine, requiring no downward pressure for efficient, controlled sanding. I also have about 23 belts, grit 60 to 220, that I'm selling all for $30.00 After upi look at the picture, let me know if you're interested. In the meantime I'll check for the exact model number.
Roger (timsparents)

timsparents@earthlink.net

Roger that's mshel that's looking for one. I was just curious, why they were better than the one I have

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Michael -
I have a "Rockwell" (which I think either became or was bought by or bought PC) 3 x 24 Model 360 which I have listed in the buy and sell forum. It is quite heavy and powerful - requires no pressure by the user. I bought it in about 1964 for $240 and it is indestructible. I don't know if you're in the market to buy a sander, or were just curious about whether or not PC still makes the locomotive. But let me know if you are interested.
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors