• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Al,
I'll try to answer your questions. At the beginning of the meeting there is what we call Swap and Sell. Here's some photos from our previous meeting in Bethania:
swap_and_sell.jpg
got_woodies.jpg

We will have more tables and vendors (and room!) in Hillsborough. If you're looking for ultra bargains this ain't the place except for the Auction at the end of the meeting. The auction is for members needing to sell unwanted/duplicate/etc tools. All of the vendors participating in the Swap and Sell sessions are regular members of the M-WTCA and depend on repeat business so they will have a fair price in mind and you'll have to bargain a little to get it...just don't make them mad. Typically you'll get what you're paying for here. Not some fabricated, rust bucket Ebay deal. So my answer is yes, prices are fair.

Scraper planes are not that plentiful but if you have an idea of what you want, PM Randy Osborne (ozzie-x) and let him know you're looking and he can put the word out. He may even have one collecting dust in his collection.

You'll see lots of woodies, beaders, shaves and misc. handtools for sale at these meetings.

Hope to meet you there!
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Mark - I had almost forgot about this (short term memory stinks!:gar-La;)

Are you still going? I'm still trying to figure out if I can make it ... too many things I want to do!

Outa Square

New User
Al
Al,
I'll try to answer your questions. At the beginning of the meeting there is what we call Swap and Sell. Here's some photos from our previous meeting in Bethania:
swap_and_sell.jpg
got_woodies.jpg

We will have more tables and vendors (and room!) in Hillsborough. If you're looking for ultra bargains this ain't the place except for the Auction at the end of the meeting. The auction is for members needing to sell unwanted/duplicate/etc tools. All of the vendors participating in the Swap and Sell sessions are regular members of the M-WTCA and depend on repeat business so they will have a fair price in mind and you'll have to bargain a little to get it...just don't make them mad. Typically you'll get what you're paying for here. Not some fabricated, rust bucket Ebay deal. So my answer is yes, prices are fair.

Scraper planes are not that plentiful but if you have an idea of what you want, PM Randy Osborne (ozzie-x) and let him know you're looking and he can put the word out. He may even have one collecting dust in his collection.

You'll see lots of woodies, beaders, shaves and misc. handtools for sale at these meetings.

Hope to meet you there!
Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. If the cloudy weather they are calling for this weekend turns to high probability of rain, I'll try to make it. As if the weather holds out i really need to work on my shop and take advantage of the long MLK weekend, but i want old handplanes, beaders, shaves, and so on. I should have thought through my construction project better.:no:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Yep, Still going. Plan to meet in the parking lot of the Cracker Barrell at the Concord Mills exit at ~6:25. Blast off at 06:30. No one has firmly committed yet. Still room for 3 more in a Mazda Tribute. I'll have a collaspable router table in the back on the way up.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I will try to be there... (It's only 1.5 miles from the house, so I have no excuse). If I don't make the meeting I will try to meet y'all for lunch. :eusa_danc

cptully

New User
Chris
Anybody interested in a carpool from Raleigh? I'm thinking I'll go but need to chat with LOML tonight... Send a PMif you'd like to carpool.

Chris

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Looking forward to getting together. All are welcome to join us for lunch.
Any NCWW Express needs between Charlotte and RTP?

I will be there but may be a little late. Don't wanna leave the house at 6AM on a weekend.

I need a few more chisels and may buy a hand plane or two if I can get some assistance picking them out. I'm deciding between MWTCA and LV/LN. I want something at a fair price that has already been fettled.

Mark - can I use you as a member/sponsor...again? :wsmile:

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If you actually show up and I can make it too (I have a Boy Scout camping trip every year the same weekend as the MWTCA gig) I'll buy you lunch. Figure it's a safe bet since you usually don't show up til mid-afternoon. :gar-La; :gar-La;

Chuck

:gar-Cr:gar-Cr It is a bit early, but I am going to give it a shot. No promises!

Toddler

New User
Todd
Tupelos? :eusa_doh: I will admit, the staff there is always very nice, and because of that and because we have so few restaurants here in Hillsborough, we go there periodically. But they are the only restaurant I've ever been to where I don't even like the onion soup. So when I show up, you'll know it's not for the food :).

Will try to make it if at all possible.

-Todd

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Todd,
Could you suggest another restaurant please? Bandito's has one vote. I'm fine with anything but a chain burger place.

Thanks!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Chuck and everyone attending the meeting for the first time:

If you're asked I am your sponsor. I'm not sure we're still doing that but just in case. (No secret handshakes are required:gar-Bi)

Mark

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Mark,

Pickings for good restaurants in Hillsborough are pretty slim, and with so many people already thinking Tupelo's, I'd consider just sticking with that. The food is decent, sometimes it's even good, and I always like the staff, they're very nice.

If you do decided to change, I think Bandido's, which James suggested, actually does have pretty good mexican food. Much better in my opinion than Casa Ibarra, our other mexican restaurant. That one, however, is walking distance from the M-WTCA mtg.

Trying to stay close to Daniel Boone or the center of town, the only other place that comes to mind is the Wooden Nickel. But it's a small pub with a small menu, so while food at the Wooden Nickel is good, I don't know how many of us they could fit.

Maybe Bob (woodartz) will enter a vote for one or the other, or have another suggestion.

Todd

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Todd nailed it on the Hillsborough restaurant scene. The only other one I would add is Gulf Rim, owned by some good friends and fellow Cajuns. It's pretty good food, but it's tiny. It'll be colder than a welldigger's derriere on Saturday, so maybe we'll have one of these places to ourselves :wink_smil. The cool thing about Tupelo's, Gulf Rim, Wooden Nickel, and Banditos is they are all within spittin' distance of each other. If one don't work, another may. If I know the group size, I could call around to ask about reservations.

Bob

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Bob,
Looks like we're in the ~16 range right now. If you could go ahead and make arrangements and let us know where, we'd appreciate it.
See everyone Saturday!
Mark

Toddler

New User
Todd
It'll be colder than a welldigger's derriere on Saturday, so maybe we'll have one of these places to ourselves :wink_smil.
Bob

Didn't know welldigger's were know for cold bums :) in Vermont we used to go with:

15 degrees = "Man, it's colder the a witch's t!# outside"

0 degrees => "Man, it's colder out there than a witch's t!# in a cast iron bra!"

And of course, if it were below -15 my wife would chime in, "Doing push-ups in the snow"

I'm guessing witches are warmer blooded down here in the south :)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Bob's from Louisana. <70F and he starts looking for a purple sweatshirt.:rotflm: (Geaux chats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS