December IRS Auction Newnan GA Bidder list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Doug what have you started?????

I listed 3 lots, 85, 86,87 on the Bas thread/list. I only want one but will see how things go. I noticed the reserves have not been meet. They may be to high on these items.

russellellis

New User
Russell
In general, do these types of auctions normally get out of hand like ebay listings? ive gotten great deals from state auctions before, but never anything like this.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
In general, do these types of auctions normally get out of hand like ebay listings? ive gotten great deals from state auctions before, but never anything like this.

it all depends, i suspect some of this will go higher than retail, but a lot of it will go at good pricing.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Looks like Doug has beat me to the two items I wanted, 264 and 309.

tv

TexasTimbers

New User
Kevin
I can't figure out to put my name and Lot numbers on the Auction Sign Up Sheet. I am wanting to add Lot #002 and Lot#122 for myself.

Anyone want to enlighten a dim Texan on how to add them? :wconfused:

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
I will be bidding on one of the jet band saw tops for sure. I may bid on a dust collector, small jet lathe, drill press.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I should also add, since we aren't competing against each other (hopefully) that I never bid until the last minute. I win a good percentage of bids and i think it's because I do it this way.
And because I usually pay too much. :gar-La;

You should note that these auctions are automatically extended if any bids come in the last 5 minutes.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
this is an auction rookie question but If one bids on said item how does that person get that said item - is it shipped at owners cost or does buyer pick it up - how does one gain possesion after bought

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Phillip you either have to go get it or contact one of the riggers which will be listed on the invoice to arrange shipping.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip you either have to go get it or contact one of the riggers which will be listed on the invoice to arrange shipping.

Thanks Mark - I will look it up on Map Quest to see how far it is - I would like to bid on one of the Mini Lathes but if it cost just as much to have it shipped plus buy it then I might as well wait and get a new one

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this list. Are you suggesting that the first one to lay "dibs" on lot has exclusive rights to bid on it? If not, what is the purpose of the list other than to try to lay claim on an lot? Why wouldn't we just let the auction run its course (free market, supply and demand...however you want to refer to it)?

For example, if person "A" is willing to pay $775 for lot 1234, and person "B" is willing to pay $850 for that same lot, how does person A "run up the price" on person B? Presumably, person A would bid up to $775 and then quit. Person B would then either get the item for $776 (or whatever the bid increment is but still lower than the $850 person B was willing to pay) or, more likely, would be competing against other bidders up to his maximum bid of $850. What if person B ends up not placing a bid (for whatever reason...forgets, changes mind, can't log on, etc.) so person A never bids since person B had "dibs" and the item sells for less than $775 to someone not related to this site?

The only way I see this list as an effective "tool" is if the people interested in the same items talk to each other and (this is the tough part) share with each other what their maximum bid amount is. If someone is clearly willing to pay more for an item that the other interested bidder(s), then it doesn't make sense for the lower bidder(s) to place bids on the item since they will never win it as long as the person willing to pay the most keeps true to his word and bids up to his maximum (if necessary) or at least bids more than the other interested bidder(s) were willing to pay.

Of course, there is the possibility that item sells for less than what the lower interested bidder(s) were willing to pay (if there wasn't much interest in the item). Assuming that the higher interested bidder held true to his word and placed his bid and eventually won the item, the lower interested bidder(s) would have to accept that the higher interested bidder might get the item for less than the maximum the higher interested bidder was willing to pay and might even get the item for less than the lower interested bidders were willing to pay if there isn't any other interest in the item.

I don't know if I will bid on any items but if I happen to log on to the site on the day of the auction and see tremendous deals, I might be tempted to bid on an item or two. My intention wouldn't be to try and run up the price on any item(s) them but rather, to get a great deal on some tools.....just like everyone else on the "dibs" list.

TexasTimbers

New User
Kevin
Christopher,

I can't speak for any of the other guys, but my take on it is, there are some of us who buy tools and machinery because we need them in a critical way, and then sometimes we buy them because we "sort of" need them, but more want than need.

I know Scott needs to replace his shop tools in a critical way, and I wouldn't bid on anything he is trying to get unless I felt my need was just as critical and I had no other option.

My need for a larger band saw is critical, even dire. So I will shoot for the one I have mentioned and avoid the 18"ers others have their eye on. If the one I am looking at does not pan out and I get a shot at one of the others I might bid on one at that point.

Some of us buy machinery to resale. I don't have time for that, but if I did and there was an item someone had singled out at a real need for their shop, I would not bid on it.

I think what it boils to is just a courtesy thing. Not an absolute promise not bid, but just making an effort not to bid against each other unless it is unavoidable.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :tool:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
It is not a "dibs" list. There are many items that there are duplicates of, e.g. bandsaws, why should we all bid on the same unit? We can each bid on a different unit and not run up the cost between us, Admmittedly others will bid. If there is one of something then there is nothing we can do.

As it is out of state, by coordinating our efforts regarding the size and number of the items we are bidding on, we can arrange a group pick up and save some $.

Doug

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
We are friendliest woodworkers on the Internet and I think this is just another example of trying to be friendly, not to keep anyone from buying something they really want. If two or more people have something they are interested in a PM would probably help out everyone concerned. The list allows us all to see who is interested in what.

MikeH

New User
Mike
We are friendliest woodworkers on the Internet and I think this is just another example of trying to be friendly, not to keep anyone from buying something they really want. If two or more people have something they are interested in a PM would probably help out everyone concerned. The list allows us all to see who is interested in what.

Well said Keye.

Last edited:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The only way I see this list as an effective "tool" is if the people interested in the same items talk to each other
Yup. That's exactly it. From my original post that accompanied the list:

This list is exactly that - a list. Nothing more. If you want something someone else is interested in, you may want to contact him or her and work something out. But it's not required, feel free to bid against someone else. Keep in mind that even though someone plans to bid, it may not actually happen. So it's good to have more than one interested party. Don't feel something is already "taken" if it's on the list.

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
Guys,

I would think about it before continuing with the list. There's another name for what's going on in the auction world and it carries extremely stiff penalties if proven.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Striker-
I don't participate in too many auctions but I'm not aware of any auction rule/policy/etc. that prevents bidders from talking amongst themselves about their bidding intentions which is what is being done here with the list.

Maybe you are thinking about "shill" bidding which is generally not tolerated (and may even be illegal). Shill bidding is different since that involves running up the auction prices by people who place bids without any intention of buying the item (they usually have some relationship with the seller and/or have an expectation of compensation from the seller). Shill bidding artificially inflates the final price of the item and benefits the seller through the fraud of the shill bidders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS