December IRS Auction Newnan GA Bidder list

Status
Not open for further replies.

striker

Stephen
Corporate Member
"Bid Rigging" or an act to artificially deflate the natural bidding practice is a federal offense (felony) under the Sherman anti - trust act. I don't pretend to be any lawyer or have any special knowledge in this area.... just smart enough not to touch this with a ten foot pole.

Last edited:

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
"Bid Rigging" or an act to artificially deflate the natural bidding practice is a federal offence (felony) under the Sherman anti - trust act. I don't pretend to be any lawyer or have any special knowledge in this area.... just smart enough not to touch this with a ten foot pole.

I am not a lawyer either but do have some experience in this area. I do not think this comes even close to "bid rigging".

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm not a lawyer, (but I did sleep in a Marriott Courtyard last night:gar-La;) but I don't think we're doing anything here we would not do at a live auction. When I show my numbered card at an auction I am showing my interest to all present. If I'm at an auction with people I know and I express an interest in something they're not going to bid against me. Additionally they know the price I'm bidding which we're not doing here.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I agree with Tarhead. This is the same as if we were sitting at the auction house. For those that don't know Doug IS an attorney and he has said it is NOT illegal.....I repeat NOT illegal. There is nobody on this site proposing to run up any bids or rig anything. It was started as a discussion and nothing more. Geez.

J

jeff...

Guys,

I would think about it before continuing with the list. There's another name for what's going on in the auction world and it carries extremely stiff penalties if proven.

I have to ask the obvious questions - What is it called and what are the penalties?

Thanks

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Everyone that is considering Bidding:

Scott Smith is going to be bidding and is planning on driving down with his trailer to pick up whatever he wins. I am planning on bidding on two items as well.

Scott is looking for 2 – 3 volunteers to make the trip with him to help load everything up. His major out of pocket expenses will be for fuel and hotel.

Scott is willing to pick up items for other winners if we can figure out a way to divvy up the cash costs amongst all of the auction participants. Scott will contribute the use of my truck and trailer.

Please PM me and/or Scott if you would like to participate and share the costs.

Doug

PS This auction is TOMORROW!!!

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
"Bid Rigging" or an act to artificially deflate the natural bidding practice is a federal offense (felony) under the Sherman anti - trust act. I don't pretend to be any lawyer or have any special knowledge in this area.... just smart enough not to touch this with a ten foot pole.

I believe that the Sherman Act refers to when the Auctioneer and or the seller of the equipment are involved in a scheme to deflate the bidding process. i.e the company is bankrupt and the owner has his cronies buy up all the assets at a fraction of their value leaving the bank or other creditors way in the hole.

With that said, I personally know the auctioneer and the owner of the company doing the selling. I'm confident they would be thrilled to know of all the free publicity this has garnered their sale. They would have no problem at all with this plan. They will certainly be hoping other groups are planning the same thing to bid against us.

FWIW the bidding has already gotten to rich for my blood on the lathes, so happy buying!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Scott won a RAS. Thatis all I know too. The $'s were too high IMHO. Especiailly since it was sight unseen and no warranty. Plus there is the pick up costs and the auctioneer's 10%. I'll take my local vendors over those "deals" any day. I set my limits and stuck with them.

Doug

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Yeah that was my thoughts too. I figured it'd draw a good price. I wish I'd gotten the deal to sell it.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
so are some gloats forthcoming?

I reckon!

My bid came in at 784.00, give or take (with the buyers premium), for a saw that sells new for $5,600.00.

Since I was prepared to spend over 6K on an upcut saw, I'm pleased at the $4,800 savings. That should more than cover my trip to Newnan and back.

Scott

Kevin - did you get that monster bandsaw that you wanted?

G_ville_worker

New User
Bryan
Same thoughts. I set a price that would be good with all included fees. I didn't win. I also was surprised how much some of these things went for. Some good deals were won though. Congrats Scott.

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Doug, sent you a PM don't know if I did right or if you got it. They have a lathe you might be interested in at Minimax-usa.com. Good price and looks like a great lathe w/ copy set up. They sent me an email on some reconditioned machines for sale. I have their slider, good machine. Don't look at the 315 or 350 sliders or the MM16 band saw though, I'm interested in those.
Robb
Heritage Woodwright LLC
Sherrills Ford, NC

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Robb:

I got your PM. I looked a the lathe, but the savings was $1000. The cost was $3800+!:eek:

I have a strong feeling I will have a new lathe within the week. Stay tuned! Stealth-pre-gloat!

Doug

TexasTimbers

New User
Kevin
Kevin - did you get that monster bandsaw that you wanted?

No. I was hoping my lack of gloating would go un-noticed. I am ashamed to admit that we have been so busy, I did not even remember to bid on it.

I woke up last Wednesday morning and was answering emails and had gotten a thread notification for this thread, and I literally hit myself in the forhead with the palm of my head, you know, the classic "I am a MORON!" self head-slap. :BangHead:

Like my wife said "Honey God protected you from getting a saw that would have had problems. Be thankful."

Wives are wonderful like that you know. I wish I had her level of faith because my gut says I missed a steal! :embaresse

Well, I am glad you got such a great deal though. That's a consolation for me. :eusa_danc

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Ooooo, Doug this is a teaser. I look forward to seeing your Christmas bounty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS