Couple of things to stare at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
I am absolutly convinced that I am doomed to cut crooked. I had a time with the squreness of this chair. I finally got it sitting level. I still need to stain and seal it. I was thinking of using fruit wood stain and then a couple of coats of CWF. What are your thought?

works012.jpg

works013.jpg

OK, Here is a little gauge I threw togather. If you set the rule at the top to the blade height you want on your table saw then just set it over the blade and crank it up to the bottom on the gauge for the proper blade height. OR you can set the gauge at the "0" setting and then press it down on the high tooth of the table saw blade. This will instantly tell you the height of the current blade setting. Hey, I was just bored. By the way I have tested it over and over and it is scary accurate! I would like feedback on this gauge, good or bad. Thanks

works005.jpg

works008.jpg

works009.jpg

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
erasmussen said:
Nice, might like to copy it, if its ok with you:icon_thum

Shoot yea! I would be honored if someone could get use from it. If I knew how to make plans I would draw it up and send it to the download area, but you can kinda figure it out by looking. It wasnt rocket science. Made ne feel like a rocket scientist though! LOL

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Love the chair, it looks mighty comfy:-D If it is pine I would recommend using a wood conditioner or a 1/2# cut of shellac before staining to help with blotching. I am not sure what CWF is, but if it going to be outside try a spar varnish, it is a little more flexible than regular varnish or ploy.

Your gage is a dang good idea! Simple, so there are less things to screw up. I will steal your idea also.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for showing!!

Dave:)

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
DaveO said:
Love the chair, it looks mighty comfy:-D If it is pine I would recommend using a wood conditioner or a 1/2# cut of shellac before staining to help with blotching. I am not sure what CWF is, but if it going to be outside try a spar varnish, it is a little more flexible than regular varnish or ploy.

Your gage is a dang good idea! Simple, so there are less things to screw up. I will steal your idea also.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for showing!!

It is pine. CWF Clear Wood Finish like Thompsons CWF w/ UV Protectant. I am new at this so how do you use 1/2 cut shellac and will that make it sticky to sit on? Or will varnish be sticky?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Quickly brush on the 1/2# cut of DE-WAXED shellac (Zinnser Seal Coat 1:1 with denatured alcohol) Give it a light sanding and then apply your stain like normal, and allow to dry. Then apply several coats of your topcoat. I have not heard great things about Thompsons product as used on decks. A spar varnish once fully cured (several weeks) shouldn't be sticky to sit on.

Monty

New User
Monty
Dullblade said:

Wow!!! Looks like you've got yourself a "Top Shop Tip" in some WW magazine there! I would submit it if I were you.... pick the mag that has the best prize. :mrgreen:

Oh, and I like the chair too!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Is that a Jake's Chair? Made a few of them myself. They are super comfy, and they stack up for storage as well.

I'm with Insom on the Shop Tip, I'd submit it.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
clowman said:
Is that a Jake's Chair? Made a few of them myself. They are super comfy, and they stack up for storage as well.

I'm with Insom on the Shop Tip, I'd submit it.

I got the plan from ebay...Later found out I could get the same plans known as Jakes Chair for free. Live and learn.

If I submit the gauge I am afraid I would have to try to explain step by step how it is done. It is kinda like throwing everything in the fridge in a soup and then trying to tell how it was made. LOL

I might make another and write down and photo each step and then publish it. What do ya think? I will leave all the cursing out of the plans....:saw:

Monty

New User
Monty
Dullblade said:
If I submit the gauge I am afraid I would have to try to explain step by step how it is done. It is kinda like throwing everything in the fridge in a soup and then trying to tell how it was made. LOL

I might make another and write down and photo each step and then publish it. What do ya think? I will leave all the cursing out of the plans....:saw:

You don't have to explain step-by-step, but making a version that is very simple to make would help. I think you've made it pretty simple as-is... good luck with it! I recently saw one mag (maybe it was PWW) that awarded a 3-piece set of Veritas bench planes as a prize.... WOW!!!

I wish I had an idea like this to submit! :eusa_thin

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking chair Roger. That does look very comfortable. I concur with the idea of submitting your depth gauge idea to one of the WW mags.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Ditto the gauge submission. The mags have people that will explain the steps in more detail and or create a drawing of the item. The chair looks great and I agree that Tompson's would be a bad choice. Another option to consider is the gloss waterlox, it is outdoor rated as well. Unfortunately, unless it's in a covered area, pine is not going to hold up too well outdoors no matter what you put on it. If you make more chairs in the future, I would suggest cypress.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
Steve D said:
Ditto the gauge submission. The mags have people that will explain the steps in more detail and or create a drawing of the item. The chair looks great and I agree that Tompson's would be a bad choice. Another option to consider is the gloss waterlox, it is outdoor rated as well. Unfortunately, unless it's in a covered area, pine is not going to hold up too well outdoors no matter what you put on it. If you make more chairs in the future, I would suggest cypress.

Thanks for the great input. I agre that the pine will not last as long outside, didnt want to spend a bunch on wood till I knew I could do it. I have a glass and screen back porch that think the pine chair will inhabit quite well.

As for the gauge I spent a while today making a better looking one to show to a couple of magazines. I will post a pic here soon and photos of various steps will be in my photo gallery also. I will just consider the first one as the proto-type, LOL! I will make a dedicated link to the new one.

Any suggestions which forum to put the new gauge in so it will be in the proper area? Also if anyone has links to WW Mags please email them to me. I found a couple but I would like to know if I am missing any. Thanks!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Roger,

If you plan to do more chairs in the future, you might want to make template patterns for some of the shapes. That way you can rough cut them and use a pattern bit in your router table to get them perfect. I've done a ton of the New Yankee Workshop version and have more than paid for all of the tools in my shop making Adirondak chairs. I make them out of 4/4 cypress with stainless steel hardware and easily get $165 per chair unfinished. Cypress doesn't need a finish and weathers to a nice silver gray. It's amazing how word travels once you make a few for people, it's a great way to support Woodguy disease. :lol:

I made vacuum templates out of acrylic for the arms and main legs and they work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS