Cool Find at WW Show ... Adjustabench -- Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Came across something I hadn't seen previously and wasn't familiar with -- though appears to have been available for 6 years! The Adjustabench. Are you familiar with it? I'd like to know more ....

about_high_router.jpg

I met with the inventor & business owner and I was REALLY intrigued. Almost exactly what I am looking for.

If you've seen pictures of Alan's on here, it'll look familiar.

Anyone have one? What do you think? I might pick one up.

http://www.adjustabench.com/

nelsone

New User
Ed
I didn't take too close a look at it. How stable was the table at the show? You have mentioned getting some hand planes and I wonder if it would rack when you are planing a board.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
It seems like a great bench, I've seen it mentioned in articles and in one bench book, and reviews have always been warm. I personally think that it would be a great choice for a shop that only has room for one bench.
I think that the manufacterer is out of NJ, I had always wantged to stop in and see him, but I never got the chance when I lived there.

Jimmy:)

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I didn't take too close a look at it. How stable was the table at the show? You have mentioned getting some hand planes and I wonder if it would rack when you are planing a board.

It is extremely solid when not on the wheels (which is how it is designed). I rocked it hard (or at least tried to) and it didn't budge much. It might need some rubber to keep it from slipping on my concrete garage floor ... but so does everything else in my shop.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
It is extremely solid when not on the wheels (which is how it is designed).

Sounds like a line a moble home salesman would use.:eusa_doh:

:XXcompute This just in; WGD still continues to inflict local woodworkers in the Charlotte metro region. The source of the outbreak has been narrowed down to the area around Briar Creek known as the "Merchandise Mart". Although most of the problem is isolated to the mart, some cases have been contracted and spread to outlining areas. One of the worse cases on record has been reported in the UNCC area. It is thought to be a result of a commuter traveling to the Merchandise Mart area and then returning home to the burbs. Daily commutting and conversing with others inflicted with WGD is said to increase symptoms and lead to cost over runs. If left untreated weight transfers may happen resulting it weight from the wallet area being multiplied and stored in the garage of the victim. Stand by for further details as the story unravels.:XXcompute

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
It looks really cool, but that picture seems WAY out of proportion. It looks like the legs on that guy are much too long...GO GO GADGET LEGS!

So how easy is it to adjust the bench? Could you use compressed air to move it up/ down? :rolf:

cskipper

Cathy
I've had a lot of occasions where I wished I could raise the height of my work bench. LOML is going to build a work table that is adjustable - but we need to expand the shop first. Having that ability with a bench you already have space for is a good idea. I couldn't see the mechanism for raising and lowering it - hopefully (and doubtfully) it's hydraulic. WG disease is alive and well.

Glennbear

Glenn
Seems like a pretty neat concept, I have been mentally building an adjustable bench for some time now but no plans jelled yet. Being on the north side of 6 feet tall I need a higher bench anyway. Cost is always a consideration but I do like the idea of it being mobile and it certainly beats the "stack of 2by stock" adjustability method. :gar-La;

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Jeremy, Your post sounds like a gloat waiting to happen. Tell the truth; have you alraedy bought the bench?

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I used the bench extensively at the show and it is very simple to use ... no one had to say a word to me on how ... I just did. It's a manual lifting process, but it's not like lifting the entire weight of the top because you have a leverage point on the other side (I think that's how that's said).

Price is my issue ... but building one isn't cheap either. I'm only interested in the adjustable legs set -- not the top -- as I can build, or buy, one of those when my current top isn't suffice.

As for building one ... I was planning on building a bench sometime, but sometime never comes because I never had time (I can only get in the shop on the weekends usually the LOML keeps the wish list full). Sometimes I have to buy things that I don't have time to make.

Not sure .. I'm taking medicine to reduce the WGD side effects ...

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I used the bench extensively at the show and it is very simple to use ... no one had to say a word to me on how ... I just did. It's a manual lifting process, but it's not like lifting the entire weight of the top because you have a leverage point on the other side (I think that's how that's said).

Price is my issue ... but building one isn't cheap either. I'm only interested in the adjustable legs set -- not the top -- as I can build, or buy, one of those when my current top isn't suffice.

As for building one ... I was planning on building a bench sometime, but sometime never comes because I never had time (I can only get in the shop on the weekends usually the LOML keeps the wish list full). Sometimes I have to buy things that I don't have time to mak

Not sure .. I'm taking medicine to reduce the WGD side effects ...

Jeremy,

I understand the whole cost / build it thing. The bench I use now is a solid core door that is 18" x 72" with two vises on it. I've been contemplating a new bench for years now. I've always wanted to build my own (pride thing / custom dimension thing), but time and cost has delayed me from proceeding. The cost of buying a bench vs. building a bench is not that different, You seem to be looking at around $800-1000, depending on woods and vises used, about the cost of a bought bench. Prices can go much higher depending on sizes and materials. A little while ago I bought a bunch of 8/4 White Oak from Alan ILW for $1.00 bd/ft and I plan on making a top out of it. But for now, I still use that solid core door.

If you like the Adjusta- Bench and can afford it, I'd say buy it. With the little one coming your time is going to be at a premium for a while.

Good Luck,
Jimmy:)

ps. "Hello: my name is Jimmy and I'm an enabler"

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Well ... I went back to the show today ... and BELIEVE IT OR NOT ... I didn't buy the bench. I REALLY would like to have it, but it'll have to wait a little longer.

:gar-Bi

Now ... that doesn't mean I didn't buy anything ... just no $600 bench base this time around.

Badabing

New User
Joe
:rotflm::rotflm: Jeremy, I knew it. You just couldn't show all the WGD symptoms in front of everyone yesterday. I was so surprised that you didn't buy a whole bunch of stuff yesterday, but now I know the truth. You were just planning an encore appearance to make all your purchases when nobody was looking :eusa_doh:

I just happened to get a detailed pic of the base of that Adjusta-bench while Jeremy was talking to the owner... Hope this helps everyone who didn't see it in person understand how it works better!

No hydraulics or compressed air. You just step on the foot pedal and the chain disengages the metal bars from the sliding piece. The sliding piece has hook shaped cutouts along both vertical edges to catch the bar when it is re-engaged at the height you want. Very nice design :icon_thum

sapwood

New User
Roger
IMO, the bench was pretty cool. The leg set is built like a tank, it will not rock. And you can purchase the parts "a la carte." So you can just buy the leg assembly or the works (vise, bench, etc.).

HOWEVER, IIRC the leg set alone was ~$450 :tinysmile_hmm_t:
A bit pricey for me :confused_

Roger

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeremy, if you want to build your own I saw a great looking table at Habitat Restore for the top. It was a solid maple top that had bowed up in the middle from a finish failure. You could rip it in two & re glue it to size. It would save you a lotta work & you could make a nice top from it. They haggle too! The kits were about $4-500 IIRC. Their tops were very overpriced if you had to do S & H.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The Adjustabench appears well made, but for $430 + $50 S&H for just a leg set, it out to be!!

As you guys know last year I built 4' X 7' adjustable height, assembly table (done link, under construction link)- the legs literally cost only a few dollars to make- some 1/2" round bar, some flat stock, and axle caps- all from the hardware store. The wood used was shop scrap.

Completed table:

P5080003.JPG

Close-up of ratchet mechanism:

P5080011.JPG

Pic taken during construction:

P5010049.JPG

My table is not as sturdy, side-to-side, as the Adjustabench, since it has no aprons or leg braces, but I could easily make it much more stable by adding braces. If I were going to use this as a construction bench and not an assembly table I would do that.

(And no, I did not copy the Adjustabench design! The ratchet principle is similar, but uses a different design. :-D:-D )

Bonecarver

New User
Bonecarver
There was an article on the adjust a bench in American Woodworking in September 2007. The Author was Tom Caspar. It contains not only the discussion of the brackets but a whole cut list for a top and cabinets. It has 12 different hieght from 28 - 44 inchs and is manually adjusted. I think if you are planning on using any bench at a raised level you should consider wider footings and more weight! So the cabinets could help with the racking. I don't have a bench and I thought about the adjust a bench. The problem is the legs cost $480.00. I also have a workbench book and in it someone created an adjustable table buy using four screws extending into the legs which was chain driven. Much like a twin vise doubled on end. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS