China Woody Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

China Woody

New User
John
Very happy to become a part of the NC Woodworking community. I am a business guy who always wanted to be a wood guy. I retired three years ago, after spending 33 years with IBM. To ease into retirement, my wife and I spent the following three years in mainland China, teaching English in Chinese universities. Now I am home again in North Carolina and looking forward to starting my true life as a wood person.

I am setting up a garage shop and have some of the basics -- thickness planer, lathe, table saw, small bandsaw. I hope to see that investment increase soon, with the addition of a jointer and larger bandsaw.

I enjoy most working in walnut, cherry and maple, building boxes and chests. I returned recently from the American Sycamore School in Indiana, where I attended a week-long class by Glen Huey, which was very instructive. I am like most of you, I suppose, with respect to material -- always looking for a good deal on hardwoods. I have noticed in the forums some of the "old-buy network" deals that have been cooked up in the past, and hope to participate in the future. As a retired person, I have the flexability to travel, when necessary, and also to learn -- hope to share your experiences and become a better craftsman.

T

toolferone

Welcome to the coolest woodworking forum in the world! The main rule here is no pictures didn't happen. We look forward to your input here.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome fellow woodworker:smileinbo you have found the best woodworking site on the WWW. We love to see pictures :icon_thum :eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am setting up a garage shop and have some of the basics -- thickness planer, lathe, table saw, small bandsaw. I hope to see that investment increase soon, with the addition of a jointer and larger bandsaw.

See Woodguy, he's our investment councilor :lol: :lol:

John, I am glad that you joined us, and took the time to offer a little intro to yourself. I think that you will find this site a fun and informative place to spend some time. I look forward to pics of your shop, tools and projects. As well as hearing your thoughts on the American Sycamore school. Jump on in and have fun.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another hearty welcome! We look forward to your input and hope you enjoy forum. We do :mrgreen:

Roger

M

McRabbet

Welcome John. Glad you found us and have chosen the great joy of working with wood for your creative outlet. We will look forward to pictures of your shop, your projects and if you took some, pictures of your recent class with Glen Huey.

Rob

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Welcome----------sounds as your experience has a lot to offer this group. Looking forward to your input. Enjoy!!!

Jerry

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi John,

Welcome to the best of the sawdust piles anywhere on the net. Sounds as if you're off to a really good start with equipment. Do tell us more about your projects... and post some photos.

I'd also love to hear more about the school you mentioned, or any other you've attended. I keep having fantasies about taking a week off from work and attending one of the woodworking schools.

Ray

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Welcome John! When someone says "best WW'ing site on the net", we take that claim seriously. Folks here are top notch all the way around. Sure helps a novice like me!
I look forward to seeing some of your work and seeing you around!
-Chris

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Welcome John!! Where in Holly Springs? I lived there till a little over a year ago. Great town. Is the library finished yet??

Tom

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Gosh John, Retired, a woodworking shop and a connection to the internet - what more could a guy want?? Unfortunately, some of our younger members still have to work, but get a chance to play on weekends. I found after retiring that every day is a weekend.:icon_thum
Roy

dozer

Mike
Welcome to the site I'm sure you will find quite a bit of useful information and I know you will definitely find lots of great people. Please take pity on us poor people that still have to work and try to keep the use of the "R" word to a minimum :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS