Cherry/Walnut Kitchen Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
Just delivered this island to a customer today. The cutting surface is 3" x 22" x 42", a cherry center with a walnut border and the lower base is solid cherry. The finish on the cutting surface is mineral oil with a bees wax/mineral oil combination and I used CAB lacquer on the base. The block top is not fixed to the base, rather it just sits on top with small blocks to keep it in place. I doubt the blocks were necessary due to the weight but I installed them anyway.
DSC_0099.JPG

View image in gallery
The end has a bevel cut to allow for food scraps to be scraped off into a metal tray which is attached to the underside of the top.

The attached tray is removable so any debris can be dumped in the trash. I searched a long time to find the right tray to collect the cuttings and accidently found one at a cooking equipment store. Actually it is a stainless steel cake pan. Worked perfectly!

There are no drawer pulls on either the middle drawer or the side debris tray to keep the look clean and uncluttered. I tried to add a towel bar but the customer didn't want one.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent work, David!!!

I really like the food scrap tray. Now, that is one nifty idea!!:eusa_danc

That really is a fair chunk of laminated block on the top. It will last for 100 years, I am sure.

Your customer must have some generous floorspace in the their kitchen. That is a substantially sized kitchen accessory!

Thanks for sharing the detail and photo's.

Wayne

davejones

New User
Dave
Excellent work! It really turned out great. I wish I had room for something like that in my kitchen.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
awesome work.:icon_thum:icon_thum that top is gorgeous! bet it's heavy too!:gar-Bi

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks for the inspiration, David. I want to make a couple for LOML. My design is more a cart than an island. I just need the weather to clear up enough so I can get by Wall Lumber and pick up some oak.

DWSmith

New User
David
Love the top and the bevel...!!!

How did you cut it...?

I use a 3 hp router with an overly large 45 degree chamfer bit. I came upon the idea some time ago for another customer and the idea has worked well for a lot of others. I have never seen anything like this before and I get a lot of compliments on the idea.

One thing not showing is the drip edge underneath to stop any water from staying under the board.

Maybe I need to patent this idea.:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS