Chatham Co. Woodworker/sawmiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Hello everyone, I'm a woodaholic. I've loved woodworking for most of my life. I began by working out of my garage 25 yrs. ago. Designing, making, and re-making( Mostly self taught skills and a lot of reading) just about everything you could imagine. I aquired 127 acres of forest land in rural Bear Creek about 6 or 7 years ago and decided to purchase a bandsaw mill. Then I built a solar kiln to dry all of this lumber. Then I finished my dream workshop, complete with a spray room. Haven't had much time to actually work in it because of all of my "chors" ,etc. I hope to catch up some day and get back to what I love the best. WOODWORKING ( although sawmilling kind of grows on ya )

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey William,

Welcome to the site. You'll enjoy the camaraderie and free flow of info. Always good to have another sawyer in the group.

Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Dan C.

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, William -- seems you're not the only sawyer in the Chatham County area -- Scott Smith (scsmith42) from New Hill has a bandsaw mill and a kiln, too. We'd love to see pics of your sawing operation and your workshop. And hopefully, you'll make some time to get back into the shop for some projects, too.

Happy to have you join us. Rob

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
William - welcome to the site! I just joined a few weeks back, but have already found this to be an outstanding group of folks.

I'm on the opposite side of Chatham County, but one of your Bear Creek neighbors - Gary Ellis - did some work on my farm a few years back, and Nester over at B&B Tire sent a crew out to put new tires on one of my tractors. Lots of good folks around there.

Would love to stop by and see your "dream shop" one day!

Regards,

Scott

PS - ROB - my sawmill is actually a Peterson 10" WPF swing-blade circular mill, not a band mill. It's easier to make very large beams and QS (my primary sawing interests) with a swing-blade than most band mills.

Rocker

New User
John
Welcome William,
I know you'll find this group to be really friendly and very helpful, just as I have found. What sort of wood are you putting through your mill? It sound as though you have the ideal set-up, location and shop....good going.
John (Rocker)

M

McRabbet

PS - ROB - my sawmill is actually a Peterson 10" WPF swing-blade circular mill, not a band mill. It's easier to make very large beams and QS (my primary sawing interests) with a swing-blade than most band mills.
That's what I get for assuming your "mill" was of the more common "Band Saw" variety. Wish I could have broken away this past weekend during our visit to my daughter's just off Olive Chapel Rd for our Grandson's 1st Birthday. Time lines were just too tight, but maybe when we come down in early May.... Rob

dozer

Mike
Welcome to the site William, don't forget to post some pictures as we all like pictures.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Welcome! Many helpful hands and minds here. A true wealth of knowledge. One observation though: I didn't realize there was an URBAN Bear Creek!:rolf:

I used to work for a man originally from Bear Creek that had his hydraulics shop off of 902. He now has a new shop behind his house off of 87 headed north out of Pittsboro, so I know your area somewhat. Nice country!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome William, another saywer with a solar kiln is always a great addition to this site. I am glad that you joined us. I'll have to throw my request in for the dream shop pics too. I always love to see how other folks have things laid out.
See you around!!

Dave:)

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Welcome,

Happens that I was in bear creek just a few weeks ago, near the high school.

Let us know what lumber you have.

John

William Roscoe

New User
William
Thank you.I'll have to get out the digital camera and see if I can figure out how to get the pictures from the camera to this web site. I was looking for something to do ;-)

William Roscoe

New User
William
Mostly I cut Oak, pine, cedar, maple, hickory, poplar, just got a little holly and I've even been experimenting with gum. I did get 3 sections of an unidentifiable wood wiyh very tight rings. I'm very anxious to cut into it. That is one of the nice things about sawmilling. Also you get to cut wood that an ordinary sawyer would just throw away. I'll try to get some pictures of some of the oak that was already dead before I cut it down. Beautiful grain patterns. Basically, I cut what I can get;-)

Rocker

New User
John
William,
Do so sell this wood, or is it for your own consumption? I am interested in finding some 8/4 holly if your are selling.
Regards,
John (Rocker)

William Roscoe

New User
William
I'm an optometrist by day so I don't actively try to sell my lumber, but I have been known to sell some of it from time to time. 2" holly? What in the world would you do with 2" holly? I had no particular use for it. I cleared some land and I had a holly tree that was "just a little" to big to just burn in the brush pile so I put it in the maple pile and thought it would be interesting to see what it looks when I cut the maple. It would probably take 2 or 3 months to dry it in a solar kiln or were you wanting it green?

Rocker

New User
John
William,
I am looking for 8/4 holly to make a rocking chair. But, I've heard that holly is particularly difficult to dry without getting stains in the wood. Maybe your solar kiln would solve that problem.
Regards,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors