Change in plans re: Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
So yesterday I called Wackenhut to make sure that all with on schedule for me to leave for Iraq. I was told yes, my ticket was on its way and everything looked good. 30 minutes later she called me back to tell me that I was disqualified because of my asthma. I was told that they've had a policy change and now any degree of asthma, no matter how minor is now an immediate disqualifier. Apparently they never looked at my medical paperwork for the two weeks that they've had it. Nothing like last minute. I was supposed to fly out this coming Monday.
The good news is that I've got my job back and I'm not going to be unemployed.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sorry you aren't going to be able to go a risk your life....but you aren't going to be risking your life. Good to keep you here :eusa_danc
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
You have done more than most ever will (myself included), you put yourself up for it. I'm glad you got your job back.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I'm trying to look at the bright side - atleast I won't have to go through power tool separation anxiety...

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
chris99z71 said:
I'm trying to look at the bright side - atleast I won't have to go through power tool separation anxiety...

yeah, but think of all the power tools you could have bought!:slap:

Sorry, :slap::slap::slap:. An old friend just came back from working security in Kuwait, to tell me that Arabic speakers are earning $150K, and getting 1 month off for every three worked, in the relative security of Kuwait. He earned $85k!!!:slap::slap::slap: My wife would kill me if I signed up to go back into a hazard area, before any one there could!

Thanks for volunteering Chris, that is more than most do...

sapwood

New User
Roger
Chris, I know this must be an emotional roller coaster for you and LOYL. But, firefighting alone is scary enough for many of us 8-O

Ironically, I chatted with a guy this morning who got back from Iraq Friday. He did 14 years in Army and now does security in Iraq for a private firm. This is a "vacation", his contract keeps him there until October. He didn't mention how much he makes, but said the Blackwater security folks made $210,000 year!

Sapwood

chris99z71

New User
Chris
There's definately money to be made over there. A friend of mine said that his brother got a $700,000/yr offer to work as a utility linesman in Iraq.
Might as well wear a shirt with a bullseye on it...

DavidF

New User
David
Money isn't everything if you're not around to spend it - you're hopefully better off staying at home Chris.

cskipper

Cathy
I'm sure the roller coaster-ness of this has been frustrating, but it's good to know that you won't have separation anxiety (both LOYL and tools - the order I suggest you use in the immediate future :lol: ). Also good that you got your job back. And, well, we would have missed you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS