Challenge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
In talking with Rob today a thought occurred to me.

What is or has been your biggest project or challenge?

I think he has the biggest one I ever heard of first hand but I'll let him tell it.

For me I think my current job is the most challenging ever and after that maybe raising four kids that are way smarter and more talented than me.

In woodworking it is stopping at some acceptable point, I always want to keep trying to make everything more perfect. My wife said try just one time making something the least quality and least work you can do. I did and the person I made it for was perfectly happy, probably wouldn't know the difference if I had done a lot more.

So, the biggest thing you ever did, the most challenged you have ever been and the hardest thing about woodworking?

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
Well, scrolling, the spectacled owl (my last piece).

Carving-the first spoon - the one out of maple.

Personally - surviving cancer.

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

This was my biggest project -- I was on a team of four responsible for defining the Program of Requirements, personally oversaw the technical review of the Architects and Engineers design contract and served as onsite manager for EPA as this little project was conceived, designed and built in Research Triangle Park, NC for the US Environmental Protection Agency ($272M; 1.2M square feet; almost 11 years; houses over 2,000 research and administrative personnel; more than 600 laboratory modules and one of the largest Green government building projects ever built). Click on the picture for more details.

And this was my most challenging woodworking project -- a Wine Cellar Project for storing about 30 cases of wine -- White Oak and African Mahogany done in about 6 weeks.

100_3083.JPG

The hardest thing about woodworking -- keeping my shop cleaned up (it never has happened!)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The biggest challenge I have is woodworking. The biggest challenge in woodworking is enjoying myself. :)

I find woodworking very difficult. I'm not good at it. This isn't false modesty, or being humble, it's a simple fact. If there are four ways to mess up a project, I'll find all of them plus #5. I know lots of people who have a natural talent for cutting things just right, finding a clever solution that doesn't fall apart, and can take one look at something and duplicate it. That's not me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. There is plenty of stuff I'm very good at, especially in my job. There are people that would love to be able to do what I do. These are mainly 'virtual' things - software, project management, dealing with people, public speaking, creating presentations etc. That stuff comes natural. Actually creating something tangible - now that's hard! :eek:

So woodworking is the most challenging thing I've undertaken, in that I actually committed myself to becoming competent. It can be very frustrating though, and I have to remind myself constantly that this is a hobby. I will not be evaluated on the quality of the work. If it's good, I can show it off here on NCWW. If it's horrible, I can put it in the trashcan and nobody will know. You always learn something. But it's hard. I want to be able to produce something like David Marks does on Woodworks. With the ease of a Norm Abram. My projects always seem to take forever!

Of course, that's an exceedingly high target. I have to remind myself that I'm a better woodworker than 98% of the world's population. Even if 98% of all woodworkers are better than I am, it still means I'm doing OK! But it's hard, when I make that bevel cut left to right when it should have been right to left. I bust out the end grain again. The hole should have been 4" from the center of the board, not the top. I reversed the left and right side during glueup and now the bad side of the boards face outward. :BangHead: Yes, we've all done that, but on a single project? Yet I keep going back to the shop and make sawdust..... :icon_scra

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have triplets and an older child. Bringing home 3 babies was far and away the #1 challenge.

Biggest woodworking challenge was the mandolin I made. Joining thin pieces, bending, carving the neck, cutting fret slots, etc. So many precision steps and when I made a mistake, I couldn't just try to make it look right; cosmetic cover ups wouldn't fix the sound.

mandocompletesmall.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The biggest thing I've done was getting my Masters degree. The most challenging is raising my daughter, the most challenging woodworking project was this desk -
Finisheddesk008.jpg

Finisheddesk013.jpg

Because I had some very specific dimensions I had to maintain (CPU opening, hanging file drawer, knee hole size and overall length as it had to fit in a specific space). The client paid in full and then left town. I couldn't even verify any measurements or tolerance acceptance levels.

The hardest thing about woodworking is taking my time. I usually only have shop time on the weekends, and that is often limited by my most challenging other thing. So I tend to rush projects, or use the quickest method to accomplish what I am wanting to do, in order to produce something. I need to learn to slow down and enjoy the journey, but I get obsessed about finishing a project.

Dave:)

Glennbear

Glenn
Greatest personal challenge was putting down the bottle for the last time but Aug. 2 makes 14 years ago that I did that. The largest and most challenging project so far was a tack box for my daughter's riding gear which was assembled primarily using epoxy and under time constraints before she started her first semester at equestrian college.:wsmile:

J

jeff...

This 123 year old Sycamore Log was my biggest challenge - only because it fell off the saw mill twice and really didn't want to be made into boards.
attachment.php

attachment.php

But it sure did made a lot of pretty stuff - so it was well work the effort

cskipper

Cathy
Glenn, congratson your 14 years. I turned 25 last Friday.

Bas, I can relate to your feelings about your woodworking. So I stay within the confines of my comfort level - scrolling. Even then I have some pieces that even Robert would call scraps. Chasing perfection is often our most self-defeating behavior. But occasionally you finish something (be it a single joint or the whole project), and sit back and look at it and think - "Wow, I did that" - it's worth it.

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
By far, my biggest WW'ing challenge is getting doors that open/close. I can get a door dimensioned right, and add decorative details w/o going overboard. but somewhere along the way to mounting the door, things go askew.

Personally, the biggest challenge is finding a balance between sharing every day with LOML, and making sure I get the needed "alone" time.

Bas,

Very insightful, heartfelt post. I have been woodworking for 38 years and I learn something new every time I walk into the shop. I have a big flat spot on my forehead from so many "Duh!" moments when I realize I've made a stupid mistake. I have been frustrated more than I care to admit by mistakes, careless and otherwise, and my desire to just "get er done" as the project stretches past my estimated completion date. I am only now getting to the point where I enjoy the journey instead of focusing on the destination. In my opinion, it does get better with age, practice and patience.

I never really understood, until recently, the advice I've been given so many times, "Slow down, you'll finish faster." Because you are the kind of insightful person that will write this kind of post, I know you'll reach your goal in woodworking. Be patient, have fun and keep stretching the limit of what you can do.

My greatest challenge, personally, is my marriage of 32 years followed closely by raising 4 children. Who knew 32 years ago that we would change, evolve and grow so much (with me, around the middle more than intellectually). The task is monumental but the rewards are worth the effort.

My greatest challenge in woodworking was over 30 years ago, a complete set of cabinets for one of my dentist's exam rooms. He choked on the price. I stood dumbfounded since I felt I was practically giving them away. I finally said "long after the pain of the price has passed, these cabinets will still be beautiful and functional." He wrote me a check.

skeeter

New User
Charles
I normally would say helping LOML raise our son while while working shiftwork for 36 yrs. was a big challenge I thought splitting time between family, work and sleep was a balancing act, but 4/7/08 my mom, who is 80 and lives alone about 2 blocks from me, fell and broke her hip. After hospital and rehab, she was to be released to go home on 5/26. Before day on 5/26, while still in rehab, she got up to go to restroom, fell and broke her other hip. Back to hospital and rehab. She was released two weeks ago, but had to go to assisted living. Since dad has passed away, it is up to LOML and me to take care of her. The assisted living decision was one of the hardest and most challenging things I've had to do.

The biggest challenge in woodworking always seems to be my next project. I like to push myself to try things I haven't done yet. There is so much left to learn!!!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
My biggest challenge is that all of my stuff is crammed into a 10x15' room with ten surfboards. And I don't have casters.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Sitting here browsing this post on my lunch break I realized that we are not really all that different. I can relate to most of the challenges listed here. I'm glad Mike posted the question.

Biggest personal challenge: Marrying a woman with 3 teenage kids and starting my own business within 3 months. Yes, my wife is a VERY good woman.

Biggest woodworking challenge: Not rushing a finish.

Rick Doby

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, again Bas has stated it quite succinctly :icon_thum
I truly lack the skill of a woodworker and would add the "eye" of an engineer. However, I think that amplifies the rewards and joys of my progress :icon_thum Previously, I viewed material wants and needs as something to buy . . . now I am more inclined to view them as potential projects and learning opportunities.

There is a lot I can't do myself but thanks to all the posts and friendships from NCWWer I can sure talk about it :mrgreen:

Roger

woodArtz

New User
Bob
What a great thread... so many good ones already.

I guess my biggest personal challenge was actually a two part odyssey. First, I moved the family from a tiny town in Louisiana to San Francisco in search of a dream career... what was I thinking. After nearly eight years of that crazy place, I dropped everything to move back to the warm embrace of the south... I've never looked back.

The biggest challenge in woodworking for me is the never ending need for more tools. Now, most of you would say, Bob, what the heck are you talking about? Although new tools are wonderful and the justification may be solid, there's a couple of concerns. One, the inevitable interrogatives from the spouse. Why... it does what... how much??? And, the battery of questions you pose to yourself. Where am I going to get that kind of dough... where the heck am I going to put that thing... which end do I stick the wood in??? Sometimes I think it's just easier to pass....... nah, who am I foolin'. Now where did I put that Woodcraft catalog. :wink_smil

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Personal : Had many family health and other problems, Including taking care of my father (who lived with us) after a laryngectomy, while have one daughter after another. But the hardest was dealing with a younger brother (in the early 80's) and his battle with substance abuse, the drugs eventually won over and he didn't make age 20. But life always goes on.

Woodworking: My innate ability to bite off more than I can chew in a project. I force myself to learn new methods or use new tools.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS