Challenge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Crawling out of and staying out of the bottle is and continues to be my greatest challenge . Congrats Glenn and Cathy :icon_thum I will be 10 this Halloween unless I get stoopid :kermit:

Lately my biggest challenge(s) begin when I look at a new pattern or technique and go hmmmmmm ........ I wonder :eusa_thin
next comes s-l-o-w-i-n-g d-o-w-n :BangHead: I am so anxious to be done and see the end results .... I solve this now by working on several things at once so there is always something to do while something is drying, I get tired of sanding etc.

building something is my next great challenge . Bas put it very well , I watch some of you do things so easily that quite frankly intimidate the heck out of me :eek: ....I simply can't build for squat :nah:

I remain optimistic though, as there has not been a single woodworking challenge I've faced that has not been made easier by this wonderful group ! :notworthy:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
This can cover a LOT of ground, and for me it does, but, I think the two hardest things I've ever had to face were: Moving my Mom and Dad out of their home where they'd lived for over 50 years and into assited living. (This was even harder for me than the loss of them later) Second, the day I had to tell my Dad he could no longer go to church. (Incontinence and other issues)

Woodworking wise, I'm sure I haven't faced my biggest challenge yet, cause I learn something from you guys every week. It's when I try to put it into practice that the "challenge" will come!

But, the Lord has been good to me, and I have NO complaints. Not that matter, anyhow.

:notworthy:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
But occasionally you finish something, sit back and look at it and think - "Wow, I did that" - it's worth it.

That's what keeps me going.

I really can't believe some of the inspirational thoughts in this thread. I never would have believed folks would open up and be so honest and sincere. You are a truly amazing group of people. I am humbled and thrilled to be associated with you.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I read these posts & feel humbled. So many people have already or are now dealing with challenges in life that I can only imagine or find myself contemplating in the near future. I am blessed with two reasonably active & healthy parents and two reasonably healthy in laws. I'm grateful for their their presence in our lives. But as time passes I can see their conditions slowly deteriorating & I know it will fall upon me to make those hard decisions many of you have already made. For me then, I'd have to say my biggest challenge is preparation for the future, knowing it is an impossible task. We can only prepare for the future we anticipate and not the one that is to be.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans.

As for woodworking, I'll echo most of the threads here. I need to learn to slow down. I learn more from my mistakes but I keep having to learn the same thing over again! Notice the parallels between the two? We become so anxious for the future we can't enjoy the present.
Here's hoping we are all more able to enjoy them both!

DaveD

New User
Dave
Excluding life/family/work challenges I would have to say (in no particular order)

(1)Big custom bookcase that took $2k in mahogany (just because of the expense and chances for expensive screw ups).

(2)1000 sq ft addition on my last house (did everything except foundation and outside masonry work myself). Even did my own brick fireplace.

(3)7 year old welding hobby (all self taught). Still only know 5% of what I really need to know to be good at it (ie: make money)

and if you thought woodworking was a moneypit.........

(4)Metalworking hobby where I'm finding out I can spend 4 hours making a $5 part with $3000 (and counting, sure to double/triple) in metal working tools that I am a novice at using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS