Calendar Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I would like to start the Calendar Contest early this year, so we don't run into the last minute problems that we did last. Getting proofs versions. correcting pictures and descriptions.

Here is a preliminary set of goals:

• Get More sales
  • Get more pictures in the calendar.
  • Get more people to provide entries for the contest.
  • Get more variety in the type of projects depicted and make sure we have pictures from every main category (see Category discussion)
  • Recoup some of the costs of production and prizes.
So here are some my thoughts for this year.

• Put 2 pictures on each page.
  • That's 24 pictures.
  • If we divide the contest into 8 categories, that's 3 winners per category.
  • If instead of the at random prizes that I collect, we offer something more concrete, up front. Either, cash and/or gift certificates. ( I might work something out with Coleman at Klingspor for gift certs at a discount to us.:swoon:)
Preliminary thoughts on prize value. Per category:

• 1st Place = $100
  • 2nd Place = $50
  • 3rd Place = $25
  • Cover = $150

Now, I have done some preliminary cost analysis on this and it is feasible to pay for most of the total cost, including prizes, if we sell all the calendars in the minimal bulk order, I would have to make. In fact, it might even be possible to make a small amount. I won't share the results of that analysis yet. It would predispose people to skew their predictions of possible sales.

I think we have 3 opportunities to actually sell the calendar.

• Pre-order through our websites. Small discount but you are Guaranteed to get the number of Calendars, you order, shortly after they are available.
  • At Fall Kingspor event. If the the Cover is really good, we should be able sell some there, maybe quit a few. If the cover is great, we might be able to sell some to non-members.
  • After the calendars are available until Christmas.
We should aim for calendars to be available by middle of October.

Everything I have said so far is up for discussion,etc. But, the biggest issue is "how many can we actually sell:dontknow::help:" So please help with your ideas about the sales.
Pre-order = ????
Post order = ????
Klingspor. = ????

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My two thoughts are: First, I don't think that awards are neccesary, except for a free copy of the calendar. The award is to be choosen by your peers to be in the calendar. Second, I would hope that we could sell at least one calendar to every "active" member, that should be around 400 calendars. I think that they could go over well at the Klingspor show if we could get good placement on the floor and decent traffic/exposure.

MTCW,
Dave:)

T

toolferone

Dave, I hear what you say about no prize, but there are many light forum users this might entice to be more active. I think we could lower the amounts a litte.

T

toolferone

I would hope we could convince some w/w stores to display and sell some maybe.

cskipper

Cathy
I agree with Dave in prizes not being necessary. If it entices some folks, okay. I got a calendar from a totally different group and they had a neat idea. The last two pages of the calendar had pictures of all the entries. That way we are more likely to get more sales.

I like having two pictures/page too.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got a calendar from a totally different group and they had a neat idea. The last two pages of the calendar had pictures of all the entries.

Cathy, I think that is a great idea. If it could work with the standard formatting of the calendar.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Here I come, late again :wconfused:
Love the rain, but the recent storms keep downing internet service :qleft7:

IMHO
1) More calendar pictures could increase sales.
2) Earlier completion of process could increase sales.
3) Not sure if monetary prizes would increase entries, but since the prizes are relatively small it wouldn't hurt to try.
4) Broadening categories could increase entries and sales.

Oh, all that has already been said :gar-Bi

I would like to have entries such as DIY, cabinet, deck, craft (yard art, outdoor furniture, bird houses, etc.). Don't need a bunch of categories, but perhaps one other than Miscellaneous that would generate more entries.

Roger

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the idea of a Gift Certificate prize in each grouping. I also like the idea for a page or two with proof size shots of all entries. As far as other prizes, how about you limit to NCWW merchandise like hats, shirts and mugs?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
No one has really addressed this issue and frankly this is the one from which all other decisions will flow.

SteveColes said:
Everything I have said so far is up for discussion,etc. But, the biggest issue is "how many can we actually sell:dontknow::help:" So please help with your ideas about the sales.

Pre-order = ????
Post order = ????
Klingspor. = ????

Just so you know, we have never sold more than 30 calendars(excluding the ones I buy for give away) So my hope is that by promoting early and in stages, we can increase actual sales. I'll base my decision on how produce the calendar by our estimate of of what we can sell. The larger the number of sales, the increased probability that we can actually have extra pages that show all the entries etc.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I honestly don't know. :eusa_thin
But my optimistic guess is 75-100.
Conservative guess is 50.

Doubt if we would sell many at Klingspor Event except to NCWWers. IMO most attendees are looking for free stuff and tool bargains.

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Just so you know, we have never sold more than 30 calendars(excluding the ones I buy for give away) .

Wow are you serious. I would have thought that every active member would have bought one. I bought two the first year and was given one the second year as part of being in the calendar. If that hadn't happen I would have bought it.
I think that we might want to take this question to the membership to see how much interest there is in the calendar. If folks ain't interested enough to buy or participate in the entry contest then why have the calendar. Everyone that does the work on it doesn't do it for their health :roll:

Maybe we should do a pre-sale thing where folks reserve their copies before they are printed. That way we could know how many will sell initially and it might hold some folks to what they type.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I agree with Dave, put it to the membership to get a better idea on how many would sell.

M

McRabbet

It is really hard to believe that only 30 have sold in a given year -- I bought three the first year and won one -- they are a bit pricey from Cafe Press and I wonder if someone in the printing business that is a member could get us a more favorable price -- unfortunately, I live in a smaller city where finding lower cost printing probably wouldn't be feasible. If the cost were closer to $10, I sure we'd sell many more -- I'd buy 2-3 for gifts even if I didn't win! Overall, we should shoot for selling 100, but 60-80 is more realistic. Pre-sales and on-hand sales at the Klingspor show would be a real plus. Would Woodcraft and Klingspor sell them for us?

I'd also like to see the bumper sticker re-emerge -- maybe B4man can find us two deals!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Not to get off topic but I would like to see static cling stickers as opposed to bumper stickers. Just mtcw.

M

McRabbet

Not to get off topic but I would like to see static cling stickers as opposed to bumper stickers. Just mtcw.
Tracy, My bad -- that's what they are -- I have one on the back window of my truck. No stickum.

cskipper

Cathy
I agree with the others who suggest opening it up to the membership. I didn't buy one the first year, but mostly out of neglecting to do so. I bought at least 5 or 6 last year. They are pricey, but I don't think changing vendors will help much. I'm guilty of having personal ones printed through Vista print with just John's and my projects, and those are the ones that my family/friends want. I had started having these made before we started the group calendar. The NCWW one is one I want to have because it's from our group.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I will be putting up a public post on the whole subject, but I'm not sure when I'll get to do it. My wife broke her ankle yesterday:gar-Cr and I have to do all her chores.:swoon::swoon: I didn't realize just how much she does every day.:embaresse:embaresse:embaresse

As soon as I catch up. I do the post.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I will be putting up a public post on the whole subject, but I'm not sure when I'll get to do it. My wife broke her ankle yesterday:gar-Cr and I have to do all her chores.:swoon::swoon: I didn't realize just how much she does every day.:embaresse:embaresse:embaresse

As soon as I catch up. I do the post.

Aw man, that stinks :tinysmile_cry_t:

Give her the best of care :icon_thum

Roger

M

McRabbet

Our best wishes for Gail's quick recovery -- I'm sure she will have you hopping, but it will be a great time for her to enjoy that Picnic Rocker!

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm about to open the calendar contest. So if you look at the poll, you'll see only 35 people have said they would pre-order the calendar and only one would order after the calendar is available. So we better depend on the pre-sales to decide production. With that number, I will assume we have to use somebody like CafePress, becuase with orders in unit of only 15, we get the significant discount.

When I say assume CafePress, all I mean at this point, what features we will have. in that case, 12 months, 24 pictures and one cover, probably no place for composite pictures of all the entries.

I will open the actual pre-orders right after I start the contest. We will take orders until 9/29, But about 9/15, I have to make the final decisons on format, # of pics, etc. If the pre-orders are enough, I will have several different options of who will print and therefore how many pages we will have, etc.

Now as far as prizes. Every year, I basically get the same advice, the prizes really aren't necessary. Well, I both agree and disagree. But I think they do help get entries, so if you'll excuse me, I am going to offer prize money this year. The area I am most concerned about is the cover. If we wish to sell this calendar to our occasional members and hopefully others, the cover must be a "Zowie" grab your attention. We have never had a lot of cover entries. While our covers have been pretty good, they were meant to appeal to the Core members of the site. This cover must appeal to all members and others. So, to increase cover entries, I really think we need a monetary prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors