Calendar contest voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Voting will start on September 2nd and close at 6:00 PM on September 13th. There looks like a lot of great entries. It is going to be tough to pick a winner. Remember you can only vote once in each category and you can not vote for your own.

So everyone knows what the winners will receive. The winner of each monthly category will receive a $50.00 gift certificate from one of our fine sponsors. The winner of the cover contest will receive a $100.00 Klingspor gift certificate. All winners will also receive one free calendar.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

DavidF

New User
David
Voting will start on September 2nd and close at 6:00 PM on September 13th. There looks like a lot of great entries. It is going to be tough to pick a winner. Remember you can only vote once in each category and you can not vote for your own.

So everyone knows what the winners will receive. The winner of each monthly category will receive a $50.00 gift certificate from one of our fine sponsors. The winner of the cover contest will receive a $100.00 Klingspor gift certificate. All winners will also receive one free calendar.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Not sure I understand that Scott "once in each category" does that mean we just look at all the pics entered in that category and vote for the winner and not appraise the others? In the past we just voted 1 - 10 on each picture irrespective of category - is this year going to be different?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
David, I will defer this to Jim (Froglips). This is the same software we have used before so I might have misspoken.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
One vote per Category is how Photopost Contest software works.

For Example:
2010 Calendar Contest - Turning - Pens / Pencils - 2010 Calendar Contest

In the Category "Pens / Pencils - 2010 Calendar Contest", you will find the thumbnail pics of the entries you can vote upon.

I believe the 1-10 voting from last year was part of custom work done tied into the Rating System. I wasn't involved in last years contest.

It is much easier on us to use the photopost contest solution. Not that what we've setup was easy, how about less extremely complex? :eusa_booh

If there is a desire to rate all the entries, I'd ask we add that to the 2011 contest.

Jim

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
One vote per Category is how Photopost Contest software works.

Jim

Jim------I am curious-------if only one vote per category and there are 12 months and only 10 categories----------how are you going to come up with 12 unchallenged winners ? :dontknow:

Jerry

Touchwood

New User
Don
Yep..that sure sounds like a problem. Just create two new categories from what you have. Like "best of the best" and "first runner-up".:nah:

Don

Jim------I am curious-------if only one vote per category and there are 12 months and only 10 categories----------how are you going to come up with 12 unchallenged winners ? :dontknow:

Jerry

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
It looks to me like there are 12 categories. There are 3 in Turning, 4 in Flatwork, 2 in Artistic, and 3 in Other. According to my shop math, that's 12. The Cover category makes 13.

Matt

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
It looks to me like there are 12 categories. There are 3 in Turning, 4 in Flatwork, 2 in Artistic, and 3 in Other. According to my shop math, that's 12. The Cover category makes 13.

Matt

You are correct Matt :embarrassed::embarrassed:

I did not count what was below "Cover" entries. Some how the idea of a picture of a manufactured antique tool on the calendar just don't seem to fit to me for a calendar that I thought was to showcase handcrafted work of the members of NCWW. I guess I had a mental block there.:gar-Bi No offense intended to anyone.

Jerry

DavidF

New User
David
Re: Calendar contest voting problem

Just had a very frustrating time trying to vote on the calendar. The next image/previous image buttons seem to pull random images to display and not necessarily all of them before showing the end symbols. I thought I had seen them all, but when going back to the thumbnail view I saw another image that had not shown and that became my eventual winner.

DavidF

New User
David
Allow plenty of time!!! there is some superb work on display this year. An hour so far and only half way through...

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
David, I fixed the sort display order. It was set to Random.

Now I know what that setting does :widea:

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I spoke too soon. You are free to read between the lines the highly moderatable things I'm not typing here......

Photopost Contest package forces images in a gallery to be Random while the voting is active. :BangHead:

When voting ends, they sort by number of votes.

While this is lovely, it totally messes up the Slideshow and Next/Previous Buttons.

Over on the Photopost support forum, people are mentioning their "opinion" about this.

For now, my best advice is not to use the slide show or next/previous buttons. You could open a category, then open each thumbnail in a new tab in your browser.

<grumble><grumble><grumble>

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
For those who want to use it, I've enabled "Download Favorites as Zip" for each Category.

This will create and download a zip file named "photopost.zip" to your computer with all the pictures in a given Category.

This is only for the sub-categories that have thumbnail pictures in it.

I'm hoping this will make it easier for some to navigate the pictures outside of the madness that is the Photopost Random sorting "feature".

Thanks,
Jim

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Jim,

Many years ago, I was a FORTRAN programmer for a market research firm. One of the things I developed for them was a computerized phone interview system. The interviewers read the questions off the screens (terminals; there was no PC yet) and typed in the response. One of the features I had to implement was random rotation of the answers to eliminate bias based on position in the list. This was not optional; a company could get in trouble for making claims about consumer preference based on flawed research. I actually got a call from someone at the FTC and nearly had to make a court appearance, but I told the person who called that I used a published Knuth algoritm for randomness (true) and I had no idea how it worked (also true). Anyway, there really is a reason to do that.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I just voted and the system worked very well, it was very easy.

kudo's to the site folk working on the format.:eusa_clap

Good Luck to all that entered.

DavidF

New User
David
Jim,

Many years ago, I was a FORTRAN programmer for a market research firm. One of the things I developed for them was a computerized phone interview system. The interviewers read the questions off the screens (terminals; there was no PC yet) and typed in the response. One of the features I had to implement was random rotation of the answers to eliminate bias based on position in the list. This was not optional; a company could get in trouble for making claims about consumer preference based on flawed research. I actually got a call from someone at the FTC and nearly had to make a court appearance, but I told the person who called that I used a published Knuth algoritm for randomness (true) and I had no idea how it worked (also true). Anyway, there really is a reason to do that.

I agree with showing the pictures randomly, but showing the same one several times and others hardly at all was not what was planned I am sure:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors