Cabinet Saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom4748

New User
Tom
Looking to find if any members or guests have had any experience with the Saw Stop brand of cabinent saws. It appears to have a rather unique saftey feature that prevents lost digits.:bcry: The ten digits I go to the shop with I would like to take to the house.:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom I haven't had any direct experience with Saw Stop saws, but have read about their exceptional quality. They are a very well built saw. One member here, Vanguard, has one and has written a good review on it on his web-site http://www.just4fun.org/
I moved your thread to Power Tools because you should get more attention to your question here.
Dave:)

Last edited:

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
daveO you kill me,,you must have posted it right when i was writing it.,,lol I think you have software on all of our computers and when we post it writes a post similar to ours beating us to the punch,,be blessed friend.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I WANT ONE!

I have read great reviews about this saw as well, HOWEVER the pros at Woodcraft didn't have much to say about it. They are usually very open with me about products, even ones they don't sell, but in this case there wasn't much said. Maybe they wanted to see it prove itself in the field before recommending it to someone.

The best feature about this saw that really out-paces others on the market in this price range ... a true European style riving knife behind the place. SWEEEET!

If you get one, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions after a couple months of real use.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Tom,
When Saw Stop first developed their blade safety stop they were hoping to have a number of manufactures build it into their existing TSs or offer it as a retro kit. None of the major saw manufactures would buy into the idea so Saw Stop developed their own cabinet saw. I had the opportunity to look their saw over last Summer at the AFWS in Vegas. It is a great looking and solid built saw. They improved on several features and added others that the other manufactures don't include in their designs. While at the show I watched the demo they do with the hot dog. As soon as the blade came in contact with the hot dog the blade immediately stopped and retracted down into the cabinet. The hot dog had a very minor nick on it and had it been a finger all that would have been required to treat it would be a band-aid and a clean set of drawers.

D L

tom4748

New User
Tom
Thanks to all that replied to my request of information re: Saw Stop. Since I told my wife I will likely only purchase one TS in my lifetime :eusa_whis I would be very unhappy to find that this concept was just a passing fancy and the company is now out of business.
DL your right, fingers are hard to replace but I've got a dresser full of drawers.
My planned shop should start rising out of the ground next Monday weather permiting.
Thanks to all. Tom

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Tom, I too have only seen the saw and have never used one. But it seems unbelievably well built. The only negative that I have heard is the cost associated with the activation of the safety system. The safety system is contained in what they call a cartridge. Each time the safety system is activated, both the cartridge and the saw blade have to be replaced, which I understand is quite costly.

Of course, the cost is worth it to save a major injury

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
As Steve has said about the cartridge cost, I have also read that the sensors can read a false positive if you will.. from what i remember there is a way to test prior to turning it on and that you can over-ride the saw stop feature if you're going to cut wet P/T wood for instance...
HTH
Gary

woodguy1975

New User
John
I've climbed around on Vanny's sawstop and seen it in normal action. Besides the safety feature it is the best built cabinet saw out there for this style of saw. You'll only get better when you step up to a sliding saw like a Felder.

Good Luck,

John

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I can tell you first hand if you are buying a table saw the SAWSTOP is worth considering. It's about a grand more than a standard cabinet saw, but consider I cut my thumb last May and spent at least $ 7,500 in medical bills the $ 2500 saw sounds cheap!!! I also highly recommend and the excaliber over arm guard andother $ 500 bucks well spent.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Sawstops are well built machines. If I had the money for a higher end table saw it would defintely be in the running. If you are using the saw all of the time I would go with a higher end saw. If you are using it as a weekend warrior I would go with the grizzly or the unisaw.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I forgot to mention the issue with the replacement cartridge as pointed out by some of the others. If the cartridge fires it will ruin whatever blade you are using and IIRC a replacement cartridge sells for about $79. Still cheaper than buying a new finger.

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Dang DL,,I have been looking for new fingers everywhere,,I havent needed one yet,,but have always wanted to take them on deployments,,lol Just kidding friend,,thought I would throw some humor in,,be blessed

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
michaelgarner said:
Dang DL,,I have been looking for new fingers everywhere,,I havent needed one yet,,but have always wanted to take them on deployments,,lol Just kidding friend,,thought I would throw some humor in,,be blessed

I keep two extra ones in my freezer in case of an emergency.:lol:

D L

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Nice,,I will have to tell the wife not to look in there,,now where do I get a couple extra fingers,,,hhhmmmmmm,,,hey anyone want to come over to my shop and work on some projects? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS